Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-28-08, 01:16 PM   #1
spectred

Default Problem using InitialPixmapPlacement=2

Hi all,

using InitialPixmapPlacemenet=2 I have the problem that every kind of desktop effects result in some kind of screen corruption.
For example the background of the kde4 (which is btw. without xgl unusable slow) logout screen only consists of parts of textures which were shown recently (e. g. if I would open a PDF document, close it an log out, parts of this document would be shown in the background).
Or when right clicking on a plasma workspace in kde4, for some seconds the menu appears as a corrupted area before it is shown correctly.
This also applies when logging into gnome with enabled compiz. After login parts of the wallpaper are drawn where they don't belong. This is fixed as soon as this part is drawn a second time.

Using a desktop without any effects (tested with kde3) I have no problems even using IPP=2.

Is this normal behaviour for IPP=2? (btw. GlpyhCache is also enabled but this doesn't seem to make any difference).
I am using an external monitor, maybe this could be relevant.

If I remember right these problems do not exist using xgl but I need proper OpenGl acceleration.

Systems specs:
GeForce 8600M GT (Driver version 173.14.05)
x server version 1.4.x

Thanks for every help.
spectred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 12:36 PM   #2
spectred

Default Re: Problem using InitialPixmapPlacement=2

Meanwhile I made a screenshot of the problem.
Bug report also attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logout_corruption2.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	32179  
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (120.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 07-03-08, 12:25 PM   #3
kcrudup

FWIW, I get this, too- but only immedately after opening a new window and it clears up right away.
Old 07-06-08, 10:17 AM   #4
aos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectred View Post
Or when right clicking on a plasma workspace in kde4, for some seconds the menu appears as a corrupted area before it is shown correctly.
I get this too, but it doesn't make any difference if I have desktop effects enabled or disabled (if anything it's worse with desktop effects enabled). I haven't tried playing about with InitialPixmapPlacement or anything. I did file a bug report at KDE wondering if it was anything they were doing:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164330

I'm running an FX 5200. I've found a few people with this problem, as mentioned in the KDE bug report.
aos101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 07:21 PM   #5
spectred

Quote:
Originally Posted by aos101 View Post
I get this too, but it doesn't make any difference if I have desktop effects enabled or disabled (if anything it's worse with desktop effects enabled). I haven't tried playing about with InitialPixmapPlacement or anything. I did file a bug report at KDE wondering if it was anything they were doing:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164330

I'm running an FX 5200. I've found a few people with this problem, as mentioned in the KDE bug report.
Well seems so. The issue with menus and windows is gone for me (hopefully for everyone, switched back from ubuntu to debian this weekend and after that it was gone )

btw. connected it to desktop effects because the problem only existed for menus on the plasma workspace and plasma seems to have always some kind of composite features.

Even the second problem (logout screen) is apparently not connected to nvidia.
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164827
Old 07-08-08, 01:59 PM   #6
txf

This might have to do with qt4 argb textures and nvidia. there seems to be a ticket related to this on the qt bug tracker. Is the kde4 qt-copy argb enabled (plasma widgets transparent even without composting)?
Probably...This corruption disappears when compositing is enabled...
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 04:38 PM   #7
aos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectred View Post
Well seems so. The issue with menus and windows is gone for me (hopefully for everyone, switched back from ubuntu to debian this weekend and after that it was gone )
The problem is still there for me in KDE4.1 RC1. I've noticed now the issue is also there with the open source nv dirver, so maybe it isn't a driver problem (or affects multiple drivers). Perhaps it is a Qt4 issue.
Old 07-15-08, 06:31 PM   #8
spectred

Quote:
The problem is still there for me in KDE4.1 RC1. I've noticed now the issue is also there with the open source nv dirver, so maybe it isn't a driver problem (or affects multiple drivers). Perhaps it is a Qt4 issue.
strange. Certainly they are not using the latest code from svn trunk to build the rc1 packages. Maybe the changes fixing this problem are not included in rc1. 9 days between the probable fix and the release of rc1. Just a guess

Old 07-16-08, 04:59 AM   #9
aos101

According to the schedule RC1 was tagged on July 8th, so presumably it included whatever code you were running. Strange.
Old 07-19-08, 09:09 AM   #10
spectred

Quote:
According to the schedule RC1 was tagged on July 8th, so presumably it included whatever code you were running. Strange.
You were right, the problem is still not fixed. It only worked for me using Debian. Tried again with Ubuntu and it is still there. strange...
Old 07-30-08, 03:14 PM   #11
jrusinek

I had artifacts with IPP=2 too. Changing to 1 helped.

I also heard that IPP=2 is problematic when using Cairo-based GTK engines, but I can't be sure if this is true...
jrusinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 12:02 PM   #12
changyp

I have this problem too..
I don't know how to solve it..
changyp is offline   Reply With Quote