Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-20-08, 12:50 PM   #13
TPG
Unregistered User

Default Re: RE 96.43.07 (legacy) for Linux x86/x86-64 released

Anyways that was a stupid move frrom Fedora guys to go with xserver-1.5 . They loose.
Old 07-20-08, 01:03 PM   #14
macemoneta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG View Post
Anyways that was a stupid move frrom Fedora guys to go with xserver-1.5 . They loose.
You may be unfamiliar with Fedora; it's a leading-edge distribution, which means that it stays as close to upstream as possible. For many users and developers, this is essential. Hanging back would have caused more problems for many users than going forward.

Fedora contributes heavily to upstream projects (which benefits all distributions), and that requires tracking the upstream release levels.

If you don't want to run the latest and greatest, use a more conservative distribution (CentOS, Ubuntu).
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-08, 03:52 PM   #15
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta View Post
If you don't want to run the latest and greatest, use a more conservative distribution (CentOS, Ubuntu).
... and ... if you want to run the latest and greatest nVidia drivers, use official releases of X instead of snapshot releases ...

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-08, 08:21 PM   #16
gstaniak

Quote:
Well, AMD/ATI and Intel drivers work with Fedora 9. Nvidia policy is that they won't provide a driver for pre-release X. Only Nvidia's customers are impacted. It sounds like the Fedora developers are right - if you want drivers that can keep up with the pace of Linux development, use AMD/ATI or Intel hardware.

It's not a slam on Nvidia developers, it's a slam on Nvidia's policy that doesn't reflect the realities of a Linux development environment.
The new ATI open-source drivers are far from ready yet, you can use the binary ones. Perhaps in time I'll move towards ATI/Intel, but for the time being this: http://tinyurl.com/4urlll seems to be a good summary of the state of Linux graphics.
gstaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 12:42 PM   #17
macemoneta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstaniak View Post
The new ATI open-source drivers are far from ready yet, you can use the binary ones. Perhaps in time I'll move towards ATI/Intel, but for the time being this: http://tinyurl.com/4urlll seems to be a good summary of the state of Linux graphics.
You're right, it's horrible. On the ATI and Intel video machines I have, I install Fedora and without touching any config files everything just works. Compiz, video playback, Linux 3D games. I don't know how people can stand it.

While technically the article is correct, I don't think most people care. The machine works, they don't have to futz with anything, it does what they want to do, it looks good.

The open source drivers are getting better every day, too. For the 95% of users that just want things to work and look good they are already there. For the 5% that want to spend their days manually tweaking configs so they can get 10 more fps out of a Windows game shoehorned onto Linux, stick with Nvidia.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 03:43 PM   #18
gstaniak

Quote:
You're right, it's horrible. On the ATI and Intel video machines I have, I install Fedora and without touching any config files everything just works. Compiz, video playback, Linux 3D games. I don't know how people can stand it.
OK, OK, spare the irony. I'm not able to test everything myself, so I have to rely at least to some extent on external opinions. If what the guy wrote is factually true, I'm going to take my time as far as migration to Intel/ATI is concerned - sorry, I just can't know when the problem is "getting 10 more fps out of a Windows game shoehorned onto Linux", and when it's more like "your favourite game will freeze sometimes without any apparent reason". I work as a systems administrator and use Linux extensively, but as far as desktop is concerned, I just want things to work. I don't have time for investigations in case of problems. Until this xserver-1.5.0-pre fiasco nvidia drivers worked without even a hint of a problem and had been very reliable in every respect for me, and I'm of course a bit reluctant to experiment.
gstaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 04:31 PM   #19
imartins

Same problem here!

Any idea if and when this issue will be addressed?

Thank you,

I.
imartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 11:53 PM   #20
orion2087

I'm dying for this update as well so I can use Fedora 9. Please Nvidia!
orion2087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-08, 03:11 PM   #21
orion2087

Really waiting on an update for this as well. Cmon Nvidia!
orion2087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 06:13 AM   #22
mauve

Thumbs down Re: RE 96.43.07 (legacy) for Linux x86/x86-64 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by towo| View Post
Don't blame Nvidia, blame Fedora!
This distro is using an X-Server-Version, which is not released yet.
Nope, sorry, I won't. The situation has been ridiculous, and now, it's just plainly frustrating. Fedora is a good distro, I use it daily on an obsolete computer with a nvidia 6200 (why ? because a decent computer is terrible thing to waste). But my processor lacks the infamous SSE instruction, so now I need the legacy driver, and nvidia is leaving me stucked.

It exactly proves the FOSS point : if you use a non-free part, however tiny, you'll somehow get caught in a "planned obsolescence" scheme, where you'll have to cash more money to just keep using an otherwise perfectly sane and working system.

As raw performance is not (obviously) my main concern, I take the opportunity to thank nvidia for that vivid first hand reminder of the reasons why I chose to go linux 10 years ago, to avoid exactly the same kind of consumer lock-in. And I shall take appropriate actions to become nvidia free real soon.
mauve is offline   Reply With Quote