Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-02, 12:37 PM   #13
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

I'd recommend XP (Pro, with the extra GUI 'enhancements' turned off, for that true 2k look). I've used both, and both are a big improvement over the 9x series for most things, especially stability.

However, 2000 DOES have some issues with certain games (mainly performance). For instance, and I still haven't figured out why, in my prior 3 installs of this OS:

1st time, UT was perfect. Performance fine, gameplay smooth.
2nd time, UT stutters all the time.
3rd time, UT works great for maybe 10 minutes after starting the game, then begins stuttering (as if some background process were hogging CPU cycles), then clears up. Repeats..

Interestingly, the second and third installs of 2000 were basically restored from a disc image taken of the first one. I've never been able to figure out why it was so erratic.

In any case, those issues didn't occur in WindowsXP. But XP has a ton of added stuff that most of us can do without. Turn off all the GUI enhancements, disable error reporting, etc., and you've basically got Windows2000, but with better compatibility and performance with games, and especially better support for the type of hardware typically used in the average home (this was my final straw for 2k, when I had to dual-boot into Win98SE just to capture video, all because the card manufacturer went with MS's decision that 2k is a 'business OS', while their hardware was for home users.. ).

If you're cash limited, 2000 can be found for less than XP Pro, especially if you're willing to tweak things (OS services, game settings / files) to get it all working together properly, and also assuming you make sure that all your hardware has drivers for 2k.
Old 09-10-02, 01:52 PM   #14
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

<Monty Python monk voice>XP is right out!</Monty Python monk voice>

I might upgrade to XP once I do the big hardware overhaul (since I'm pushing two years on this hardware). I'm trying to hold out for the NV30, since I haven't gotten anything yet that's unplayable. Plus it'd be nice for the OS to ... mature a little bit. Kind of like a good cheese or wine.

The 2000 upgrade is on the calendar. I just need to download all the drivers I might require, archive a bunch of docs and other stuff off to CDR, and wipe it out. And then -- the joyous reinstall.

Cheers,
JND
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 07:03 PM   #15
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by jnd3
<Monty Python monk voice>XP is right out!</Monty Python monk voice>

I might upgrade to XP once I do the big hardware overhaul (since I'm pushing two years on this hardware). I'm trying to hold out for the NV30, since I haven't gotten anything yet that's unplayable. Plus it'd be nice for the OS to ... mature a little bit. Kind of like a good cheese or wine.

The 2000 upgrade is on the calendar. I just need to download all the drivers I might require, archive a bunch of docs and other stuff off to CDR, and wipe it out. And then -- the joyous reinstall.

Cheers,
JND
Dont even bother with xp. I hate it.

The second release candidate was actually much better than the final release. Forget about xp. You'll be infinitely happier with 2k.

Ut, i had probs with earlier nvidia dets (21.xx), basically, no opengl. Latest dets work fine.

Just my opinion.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-02, 09:54 AM   #16
jnd3
Sword Saint

Well isn't that interesting.

Apart from a small problem in which I had to use Linux to rescue my Win2000 installation, things went fine. Something about files not able to be copied from the CD, unimportant things like the win32 kernel. Nice.

I eventually got Win2000 up and it seems pretty stable. I stuck with the 30.82 Detonators since I'm not quite in the mood to wrestle with newer drivers, especially if their major increase is found in the pixel shader (which the GeForce2 is lacking). Seems OK so far, though. 3DMark2k1SE was about 100 points better than in 98SE (I know, not much of an increase on a synthetic benchmark, but still...) OpenGL (on the JK2 timedemo) was about 4fps slower, but I realized that I haven't installed the OpenGL Aniso patch with RivaTuner.

Oh, and then there was that other small problem with the CD archiving. Apparently one of the CDs silently failed to copy (even though all the messages said things were OK). I lost 200 years of English might, and have to once again subjugate the French in Medieval: Total War. Bother.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with Win2000. The ol' PC seems a lot less rickety now, more apt to stay running for a greater length of time. I've still got loads and loads to re-install, but it works.

So thanks for the advice, except those who advised Windows XP! Just kidding, your input is appreciated as well!

Cheers,
JND
Old 09-12-02, 08:02 PM   #17
styles-T
-========-

2k is the best..the only reason i hate it - is cause of my refresh rate >
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 11:58 AM   #18
jnd3
Sword Saint

Quote:
Originally posted by !plonk*
2k is the best..the only reason i hate it - is cause of my refresh rate >
I assume you've already tried RefreshForce or RefreshLock, or the RivaTuner fix? I used RefreshForce, and it seems like everything's OK. I don't play it at the max refresh, though, 'cause my geometry gets all screwed up (it's like the monitor only has a limited number of slots to save geometry information).

Anyway...that's all. Have fun!

Cheers,
JND
Old 09-13-02, 12:09 PM   #19
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnd3
I lost 200 years of English might, and have to once again subjugate the French in Medieval: Total War. Bother.
Who doesn't love subjugating the French anyway? Hehehe.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote