Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-03, 01:15 AM   #1
AgentOrange

Question Problem with PNY and NVIDIA Linux Cards

I don't know why, but when I use PNY Cards they fail when using the NVIDIA supplied cards with the NVIDIA Linux drivers. I bought a card last year for $350 and I have replaced it twice on warranty as it just fails. If I go to the generic drivers though - it runs like a top. Are there any OEM boards that have this problem out there other than PNY cards? What is the general experience in the community? I have watched them "black out" and fail over for no apprarent good reason.

I know how to do the driver installs, etc. But these are just sudden and unexplained blackouts of the cards. I have returned them twice and am on my third card since last November (not even one year). I have now decide to stop using the NVIDIA supplied driver, simply becuase the card looks great, but often fails.

I have adequate ventilation, a real Battery backup and power supply, many fans to keep it cool, etc. and clean the inside regularly to keep the thing dust and lint free. It is just an annoying thing, because there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.
Old 08-08-03, 12:30 PM   #2
jschellhaass

I have 2 PNY cards one 700 GXL OEM which currently runs win2k most of the time. But when booted under linux I haven't had a problem. This card is over a year old.

I also have a 750 GXL retail which runs linux most of the time and I haven't seen a problem. This card is about 9 months old.
jschellhaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-03, 02:51 PM   #3
AgentOrange

Default Thanks for the feedback

I am going to try to get refund. I just installed the damn card two days ago and it wigged out on me again. This is the third board in less than one year. It just pixellated and crashed and then blacked out through the AGP interface.

I think I am going to find a different vendor. the PNY card (Ge Froce MX 440) runs fine, but the damn Ge Froce Ti 4400 has been three strikes in a row now. That is rather tiresome annd makes me think it has major problems. They also made it impossible to contact them without major frustration. Time for a refund and new vendor.

I really enjoyed them when they worked - it is the mere suck-ass quality of their Ti4400 baords that is making me go nuts. One board going bad, I would understand. Two boards going bad is starting to make me think there is a problem. But the third one going bas after two days being installed really makes me mad. I have had it - that is my LAST PNY card ever.

I think the Nvidia chios are good, but my experience here is making me unhappy. They have handled the returns ok, the cards just do not last.

It is enough to make me wonder if they are trying to rerfurb boards and send those out as replacements. They sure are not lasting long and I do nothing special with them at all. That really makes me think this line had a problem. Hell, when a $99 board outlasts a $350 one - there is something wrong in that line.
Old 08-08-03, 05:22 PM   #4
Pitabred

Send a message via AIM to Pitabred

You might not have the problem with your video board so much as your motherboard. There could be some transient voltages or something similar. What kind of mobo do you have? How old is it? What kind/wattage power supply are you using? If you're underpowering your computer, you might be getting some voltage fluctuations in different places because of the wattage draw.
Pitabred is offline   Reply With Quote