Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-08, 12:41 PM   #217
Sarev

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

It seems quite clear to me that as soon as kde 4.1 will be finally released a lot more people will come here in search of help. Hope at least that will speed up the nvidia's developers.
Sarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 06:41 PM   #218
lacrimstein

Get with the program and fix the drivers, nvidia!!!
lacrimstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 07:41 PM   #219
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarev View Post
It seems quite clear to me that as soon as kde 4.1 will be finally released a lot more people will come here in search of help. Hope at least that will speed up the nvidia's developers.
Hopefully. Already now there should be enough 'material' (complaints, problems, bugs, bad publicity) for Aaron & Co. to go with to the nvidia management and make clear to them that things cannot continue like this.
Either put more resources on Linux and really fix drivers or seriously help the OSS people with specs. Better yet, both.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 12:51 AM   #220
Alejandro Nova

Maybe this helps. These settings are the opposite of all recommended settings for any video card in your usual Composite howto, but, actually, they are giving me better performance.

1. Right click on your title bar, and select, in your KDE 4, "Configure window behavior"
2. In "Desktop Effects", select "Advanced options".
3. Select the following:
Composition type: OpenGL
OpenGL Mode: Shared memory (ENABLE THIS AFTER YOU ENABLE DIRECT RENDERING, IF YOU DO OTHERWISE YOU WILL EXPERIENCE SCREEN CORRUPTION)
Direct rendering: Enabled
VSync: Enabled

These settings, with "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True" in my xorg.conf, are yielding less CPU usage and better performance here (KDE 4.0.99)

About 2D acceleration: Linux is using 2D acceleration in a way that Windows never used before. We must give NVIDIA folks some time. I've not seen in Windows a massive use of 2D overlays and transparent surfaces, and, when I've tried to force them with addons in Windows... Windows XP becomes as slow as KDE 4.1. Vista is other story (hint: wait for Glucose).
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 03:23 AM   #221
aviynw

Hi, if you are experiencing very slow 2d make sure it is not because you're computer is getting too hot. I'm sure you know that many of the 8xxx cards in laptops are failing. I started experiencing slow 2d performance only after my computer was on for a certain amount of time until my gpu eventually got fired and I had to get it fixed. If your computer is getting too hot it may not be gpu that is actually making it go slow, but the processor. When my computer was getting too hot the slowdown seemed only to occur when my processor reached a certain temperature regardless of my gpu temperature. That would make sense as I think the processor is more involved with 2d rendering than 3d rendering.

I also found that my compiz performance was never great. I think the source was powermiser. I added the option nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x3322" to modprobe.conf which is supposed run the gpu at full speed all the time only when plugged in and it seemed to do what it was supposed to and helped a lot.

Now, I am experiencing a new problem. I think the problem is only with 173 driver but I am not sure yet. Sometimes when I unplug my laptop then plug it back in again 2d starts to go really slow. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the 173 driver, the 173 driver with NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x3322, or just NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x3322. I will test more and let you know.
aviynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 03:54 AM   #222
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post

About 2D acceleration: Linux is using 2D acceleration in a way that Windows never used before. We must give NVIDIA folks some time. I've not seen in Windows a massive use of 2D overlays and transparent surfaces, and, when I've tried to force them with addons in Windows... Windows XP becomes as slow as KDE 4.1. Vista is other story (hint: wait for Glucose).
They had years to do 2D acceleration in Linux way. What they did is maybe: copy, paste, modify...

@aviynw

The main reason of slow 2D performance is their crappy driver.
Old 07-26-08, 04:19 AM   #223
rev_b

Progresses were made, definitely, but I stil find my 9600GT slower than the 7900GT I upgraded.
I think 9xxx cards aren't as affected as 8xxx series, wouldn't know why. I never had those terrible performance issues resizing windows and scrolling firefox.
For me, the problem is relative, as it really improved after a cpu/motherboard upgrade (brute force is cheap these days, I got a E2180 an run it @ 3.2 Ghz) - which indicates too much being done by software fallbacks .

Another thing I noticed: x86-64 drivers are faster than 32 bit. It was a noticeable diference after I installed a 64-bit distro.

And drivers have definitely improved. After latest official drivers (173.14) I can finally run 1080p H.264 clips (totally unplayable before) and watch TV with Tvtime.
rev_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 04:47 AM   #224
jcornwall

Quote:
Vista is indeed another story and it works just fine.

Far as I can remember Aero acceleration has worked beautifully since day one of Vista's release. The Windows driver had plenty of other problems back then (not least of which was stability) but 2D performance with transparency and compositing has always been working well.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-08, 05:55 AM   #225
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Maybe this helps. These settings are the opposite of all recommended settings for any video card in your usual Composite howto, but, actually, they are giving me better performance.

1. Right click on your title bar, and select, in your KDE 4, "Configure window behavior"
2. In "Desktop Effects", select "Advanced options".
3. Select the following:
Composition type: OpenGL
OpenGL Mode: Shared memory (ENABLE THIS AFTER YOU ENABLE DIRECT RENDERING, IF YOU DO OTHERWISE YOU WILL EXPERIENCE SCREEN CORRUPTION)
Direct rendering: Enabled
VSync: Enabled

These settings, with "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True" in my xorg.conf, are yielding less CPU usage and better performance here (KDE 4.0.99)

You've got a point there. This seems interesting. OpenGL DOES have a lot better performance. Let me try that.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 06:29 AM   #226
xsolarwindx

Ok, I updated the first post and added Alejandro Nova's guide.
Old 07-26-08, 06:33 AM   #227
xsolarwindx

Anyone care to submit this article to digg? Who has a lot of friends to shout to?

I don't build myself a friend base so me submitting it would be a waste. If you can think of a catchy title and submit it and shout it to all your friends, that would be really good. I'll digg it and I'm sure everyone here will digg it if they have a digg account.
Old 07-26-08, 07:29 AM   #228
txf

Quote:
Vista is other story (hint: wait for Glucose).
The problem here is that glucose is part of the open stack of xorg. Nvidia pretty much rips out the lower levels of xorg and replace it with their own. This means that nvidia would probably have to write their own implementation of glucose (they could theoretically be doing that already but I doubt it).
txf is offline   Reply With Quote