Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-03, 06:05 PM   #1
meldroc

Default Installed 4496 and new kernel, now Linux crashes when running Quake2

This whole problem started when I decided to update my kernel to 2.4.21. I'm running Debian Unstable (Sid) on my machine, a homebuild Athlon 650MHz on an Asus K5M motherboard (Irongate chipset, I know, I know... ) with a TNT2 M64 video card w/ 32MB RAM onboard.

I downloaded & installed the kernel-image-2.4.21-3-k7 Debian package from a Debian mirror. Of course, since I was running a new kernel, that breaks the nvidia driver, so I downloaded the nvidia-kernel-source, nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-glx & nvidia-glx-dev packages as well. To install them, I also downloaded the kernel-headers-2.4.21-3 & kernel-headers-2.4.21-3-k7 packages (all this was automagically done by apt's automagic dependency code.) Before all this, I was running a home-built kernel 2.4.18, with nvidia driver version 4463, which worked great.

To make a long story short, when I got my kernel installed & working, & got the new nvidia drivers working, I'm able to get into X, with the NVidia splash screen indicating I'm using the new drivers. Desktop stuff works fine, but many (but not all) OpenGL applications will cause the system to hang hard, leaving me with a frozen screen, keyboard & mouse, but with the Caps-Lock & Scroll-Lock LEDs blinking. I'm not totally certain, but I remember hearing that the blinking LEDs are a deliberate event activated in a kernel panic.

Applications causing the crash include Quake2 and TuxRacer, but most of the OpenGL xscreensaver hacks and Armagetron worked fine. On one occasion, I found obscene memory leakage in Armagetron, which went away when I quit the program.

I tried reverting to version 4463, which worked like a champ with my old kernel, but I got the same problems.

Right now my next step is to download the kernel source and rebuild the kernel myself, and rebuild the NVidia kernel module along with it, on the theory that the kernel module and the stock Debian kernel aren't linked correctly, resulting in branch-to-outer-space problems.

Are there any other steps I should try to solve this?
meldroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 04:43 PM   #2
meldroc

I made a discovery.

I found that the same crashes occured in any application that uses my USB joystick (Logitech WingMan RumblePad). When I unplugged the joystick, all my OpenGL apps worked fine.

So this is not an nvidia problem after all...
meldroc is offline   Reply With Quote