Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-08, 02:19 PM   #13
bacon12

Default Re: Is getting free Wi-Fi from the neighborhood illegal?

Anyone can crack the encryption if they can get enough data, and have the time, but I secure my wifi so it isn't easy to leech bw.
Old 08-03-08, 02:30 PM   #14
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Anyone can crack the encryption if they can get enough data, and have the time, but I secure my wifi so it isn't easy to leech bw.
Your talking about WEP keys, yes, they are easy to crack but if your use wpa2 with mac filtering and Ipsec, then you shouldn't have much issue with intrusions.
Old 08-03-08, 04:16 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
if you really want to secure your network, use a VPN. there are free software versions available, such as OpenVPN.
Old 08-03-08, 04:21 PM   #16
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
Your talking about WEP keys, yes, they are easy to crack but if your use wpa2 with mac filtering and Ipsec, then you shouldn't have much issue with intrusions.
Actually WEP and WPA2 is so easy to crack as little as 4 mins to capture handshaking and decode to find a working password that current in use.

Think I will download some program on my UMPC later to test my wifi router with hardware stealth firewall with mac filtered and IP security to see if I can get passed it to access internet.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
Old 08-03-08, 04:23 PM   #17
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
Actually WEP and WPA2 is so easy to crack as little as 4 mins to capture handshaking and decode to find a working password that current in use.

Think I will download some program on my UMPC later to test my wifi router with hardware stealth firewall with mac filtered and IP security to see if I can get passed it to access internet.
im tellin you. set up a VPN and require connecting to the VPN before you can access. no one will get through that lol.
Old 08-03-08, 05:00 PM   #18
bacon12

Thanks vin I will look into open vpn as it works cross platofrm, and looks easy to set up. I doubt anyone would even get a signal off my property but you never know.
Old 08-03-08, 05:37 PM   #19
BrianG
aka HalcYoN - Hook Em!

Quote:
There are no security risks when you doing it in your house but risks caught when you sit, stand outside houses or in the car for long period that will raise suspicious.

My wifi network locked with assinged MAC codes only from my laptop, itouch and UMPC that are allowed to access the internet and people are not allowed to access it without my permission.
You are telling the hackers which MAC codes to use. Heh.

If someone wants in, they'll get in. If someone wars in my hood, my only hope is that they'll see my SSID of RTFM and get a good laugh.

To the OP, if the network appears to be owned by the subdivision office, perhaps it is a perk. You never know, some apartments and garden communities have free hot spots near the pool, etc. Just make sure your PCs firewall is on and you renamed your workgroup to keep your shared folders private.

photobriangray
Nikon D700 and D300s | SB-600 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Tamron 17-50/2.8 | Nikon 70-200VR I
10.5/2.8 Fisheye | 28/1.8 AF-S | 35/1.8 AF-S | 50/1.8 | 105/F2 AF-D | Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikon J1 | 10-30VR |30-100VR | 10/2.8 | 18/1.8
Old 08-03-08, 10:56 PM   #20
Runningman

Quote:

AES 256 has not been cracked, so i dont know were your getting that WPA2 is easy to crack and no, dictionary attacks arent considered cracking.

Old 08-03-08, 11:12 PM   #21
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
im tellin you. set up a VPN and require connecting to the VPN before you can access. no one will get through that lol.
VPN is one part of a multi layered security model, if used in conjunction with WPA2 and ipsec with radius authentication and token key entry, no way is anybody getting in threw the front door.
I also use openvpn on my server at home so that when im in a pinch and need to use a public Ap, i just vpn back to my sever and bouch my requests out of of that network, safe, secure and no way is anyone going to sniff my traffic.
Old 08-04-08, 02:44 AM   #22
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
AES 256 has not been cracked, so i dont know were your getting that WPA2 is easy to crack and no, dictionary attacks arent considered cracking.
Quote:
VPN is one part of a multi layered security model, if used in conjunction with WPA2 and ipsec with radius authentication and token key entry, no way is anybody getting in threw the front door.
I also use openvpn on my server at home so that when im in a pinch and need to use a public Ap, i just vpn back to my sever and bouch my requests out of of that network, safe, secure and no way is anyone going to sniff my traffic.
There is a program called Aircrack that can crack WPA2 as well as with 128bit AES, Aircrack is found to be the most powerful program support CPU multi-cores, it can do 1 million keys or more in a min by brutal force. Watch this clip on Youtube how the guy crack WPA2 with AES and it took 2 secs to find very strong password (-=Xploitz=- C0nn3cti0n=-) that are not found in the dictionary.

Also there is a program called Ettercap that can sniff VPN traffic to recover VPN username & password. Watch the clip on Youtube how to hacking VPN with Ettercap on Linux.

I had a problem running Aircrack and Ettercap for Windows, it didnt seemed to detect my Wifi and LAN hardware so Linux versions may work. I probably could try download BackTrack 3 Linux later which has all the tools include Ettercap and aircrack to try out.

No networks are safe and secured. My college Management Information System lecturer in 1997 told that networks security will never be 100% safe and secured, here no such as 100% security. I am surprised he right about it. Looked what happened to The Pentagon's biggest hacking of all time.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
Old 08-04-08, 06:17 AM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Athlon you google to much
Old 08-04-08, 09:37 AM   #24
ViN86

Quote:
There is a program called Aircrack that can crack WPA2 as well as with 128bit AES, Aircrack is found to be the most powerful program support CPU multi-cores, it can do 1 million keys or more in a min by brutal force. Watch this clip on Youtube how the guy crack WPA2 with AES and it took 2 secs to find very strong password (-=Xploitz=- C0nn3cti0n=-) that are not found in the dictionary.

Also there is a program called Ettercap that can sniff VPN traffic to recover VPN username & password. Watch the clip on Youtube how to hacking VPN with Ettercap on Linux.

I had a problem running Aircrack and Ettercap for Windows, it didnt seemed to detect my Wifi and LAN hardware so Linux versions may work. I probably could try download BackTrack 3 Linux later which has all the tools include Ettercap and aircrack to try out.

No networks are safe and secured. My college Management Information System lecturer in 1997 told that networks security will never be 100% safe and secured, here no such as 100% security. I am surprised he right about it. Looked what happened to The Pentagon's biggest hacking of all time.
well, typically there is not master username/password for a VPN. you need security certificates. so unless you steal the security certificates, and then use them when the client isnt connected, youre not getting in.

on the VPN's i have set up, i didnt even use a username or password to connect. i made 5 security certificates, then i limited it to one connection per certificate. so, unless you get your hands on the security certificate (which you wont unless you actually get access to the computer, after you get into the network), then the script kiddies can do all they want, they arent getting in.
Closed Thread