Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-08, 07:49 AM   #37
txf

Default Re: Please stop that bashing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
Anyway, I look forward to the driver that contains the new work on performance in GeForce 8 and up series cards. Hopefully they will allow my card to perform as it would be expected to perform once again.
It probably won't... The new fixes are to address the usage of the 3d core by the linux driver in order to accelerate xrender and desktop usage. The problem with nvidia has never been the 3d core driver which is reaaally fast. Games like UT use the 3d core through opengl and that is why on 3d benchmarks of games that run on both windows and linux are comparable for both oses.

Now for 2d desktop acceleration using xrender this part is not using platform agnostic code, it is using linux/x11 specific code which what they said they would be optimising. So basically what I'm saying is don't get your hopes up...
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 08:23 AM   #38
kriko
openSuSE11

txf: aaron said that they are working on it and it should be fixed.

However it took a long time in my opinion.
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 09:14 AM   #39
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko View Post
txf: aaron said that they are working on it and it should be fixed.

However it took a long time in my opinion.
yeah...I know...Maybe I wan't clear enough . I just meant don't get your hopes up of getting UT performance improvements as there isn't any known major 3d slowness in the drivers. The improvements scheduled are for 2d...
Old 08-04-08, 12:11 PM   #40
TheBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_A View Post
My humble opinion is that if there were more work done on the part of the kernel (a subsystem of some kind, to deal directly with the hardware), then the nvidia driver might be able to accomplish more, by having to do less on its own, but at the same time, I understand that there are just so many video cards out there that this is a rather lofty idea.
Nobody is perfect, but neither intel nor AMD are having anywhere near as much trouble as Nvidia is. Their 3D performance is similar, but their 2D performance is far better. That is in general, ignoring problems with newer applications like KDE 4, which had its first stable release in January (although it's actual stability was not perfect) and a x.1 release a few weeks ago, or Firefox 3, which had its first stable release in mid-June (over a month and a half ago). They have had since November, when the first public betas of KDE 4 were released, to begin working on the problem. Neither AMD nor Intel has had any problem supporting the newer applications either. ATI, Intel, and even Nouveau have support for randr 1.2. So these problems are unique to Nvidia. If nobody else has a problem working well with Linux besides Nvidia, that indicates that the problem most likely lies with Nvidia and not with everyone else. Unless of course you imagine there is some sort of conspiracy to specifically hurt Nvidia, which I have not seen any evidence for.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 12:54 PM   #41
ollebull

...and as said so many times before, the problem didn't start with KDE4, or firefox 3. The problem was there already when the 8xxx-cards were released, thats about a year ago. I have had unaccaptable performance in gnome and in xfce since I got my laptop maybe about 9 month ago, though it have got worse with newer releases of desktop environments. Maybe it has not been noticeable with some of the newer cards until now, but with mine it has and I know that I'm not alone. The point to be made is that it have been more the enough time to fix the drivers but they haven't for some (to us) unknown reason.
ollebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 01:42 PM   #42
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollebull View Post
...and as said so many times before, the problem didn't start with KDE4, or firefox 3. The problem was there already when the 8xxx-cards were released, thats about a year ago. I have had unaccaptable performance in gnome and in xfce since I got my laptop maybe about 9 month ago, though it have got worse with newer releases of desktop environments. Maybe it has not been noticeable with some of the newer cards until now, but with mine it has and I know that I'm not alone. The point to be made is that it have been more the enough time to fix the drivers but they haven't for some (to us) unknown reason.
Yup...I would agree. around this time last year gnome was slower on my 8400m (it fried tho) than my older 6200m, not significantly but noticeable. Kde 3.5 had some slowness too, but that was fixed... eventually, I remember a thread nearly as long as the current one. The problem is that they are fixing thing piecemeal so that as soon as someone tries something new, boom , you get poor performance.

The reason the open ati and intel drivers don't have these problems is because they aren't optimising piecemeal (and the fact that open drivers share frameworks thus everyone benefits).

I also doubt nvidia would have put kde optimization at the top had nobody complained (and loudly) seeing as they have left it so late fixing performance problems...
Old 08-05-08, 05:26 PM   #43
praka123
Linux user

Send a message via Yahoo to praka123

why the hassles? like amd ati did ,why not give the exact specs of your(nvidia) cards to FOSS community ? and they will make better drivers.
praka123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 05:04 PM   #44
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_A View Post
I agree with the thread title, and the above quote too, and also have a thought or two to add:

As with anything, be it a car, a computer, a house, or software, if it is relatively new, there are bound to be some issues.

Now in context, we have all these people who seem bent on running the newest <bleeding-edge> versions of software, on a Release-Candidate kernel which you know is not officially supported by the nvidia drivers anyway, combined with shiny new hardware that hit the shelf yesterday, and voila! Issues arise!

So ya got a video card that cost you <blah> amount of dollars, you "need" for some reason to run the KDE 4.x.RCx that was maybe just released last night and is loaded with bugs, and as mentioned, maybe a release candidate kernel. Why not back off a bit: use a STABLE kernel that wasn't RC'd yesterday, use the driver version that works best on your hardware, and watch the forum to see if/when an upgrade would be appropriate!

Surely it won't kill you if your game has a few less FPS than Jones next door. And that's another thing-- games! Games, games, games.. Save yourself the pain and stress, and the money you seem to like spending on hardware to play games, and buy an Xbox, or a SNES, or a PSx, or whatever is the newest fangled game-playing machine, and sit back and enjoy! Even the not-so-new game machines these days can browse the internet and use a hard-drive.

FWIW, I use KDE 3.5.4. It does everything a DE should do, and even is still full of bugs just like the new KDE. The thing is though, I have gotten used to its bugs and I can work around them for the most part. I use 2.6.26 and have since it came out, without issue. At the time, the newest nvidia driver I had that I was using, did not work with 2.6.26, so I kept using the previous release.Whooopie, big deal. A few weeks later, presto! A new driver that DID work, and it worked just as well as any other I have ever used.
Currently I use the latest driver without any issues. Sure, I update because I can, but when the newest update flops, it's no big deal to revert for a while. In fact, I would prolly not even notice if someone installed 169.xx on me overnight, because I run a stable kernel, don't play games on my PC, and don't depend on software released last night. I commend nvidia for allowing me the pleasure of having 2 $60.00 videocards & 4 monitors running seamlessly in Linux; GLXgears shows 2800 or so FPS-- SO WHAT?

On a related note, as an example: computer BIOS has been around for 20 years or so, as has Linux. But you know, the motherboard makers and the BIOS makers don't provide us with flash tools to use from within Linux; only DOS/Windows tools. So, we continue to boot into DOS to do BIOS work. This sucks, but I doubt anyone's bashing BIOS makers over it (and if they are, they're doing it quietly and it isn't working). We deal with it. So can one realistically expect something BRAND NEW to be perfectly, instantly, and fully supported under Linux, while M$ has their monopolistic death-grip on both hardware AND software vendors? No. If you want that instant gratification, and 1000's of FPS in some game, Linux isn't for you. You need to use an OS that has had hardware vendors jammed up its A$$ and its grubby mitts in everyones business for at least a decade or more.

This is just my two cents; I guess as a satisfied customer for many years now, my opinion differs from that of many who frequent this forum. Maybe there should be a separate "Nvidia Linux" forum, where people who are happy with their nvidia situation can talk about it, and politely thank nvidia for their hard work. I bet the nvidia personnel would appreciate the change of pace and tone when they visited that place.
Just stop saying bul**** please. KDE4 runs very smooth on concurent cards so your arguments are stupid. If I bought nvidia card I suppose it would fully support my operating system which is far better than windows or macos. It doesn't matter for me that ms has monopol, my card should work as I suppose, because I paid for it. I'm not interested in crap like xbox etc. Nvidia doesn't provide good drivers for Linux and AMD/Ati does so I will buy AMD/Ati card in the future and now I will complain, because I'm unhappy nvidia card owner.

Old 08-07-08, 05:10 PM   #45
energyman76b

it is not like that only kde 4.1-rcX were hit by thig driver bug! If it were that way nobody would complain.

Some simple facts: the problem is known for month.
Not only KDE 4.1 (which is btw final) is hit by this problem, KDE 3.5 is hit too - just not as severe. So some people think 3.5 is problem free - it is not.
It is not a KDE problem, because gtk apps suffer too.

Until now there is nothing to really solve the problem. The only solution is either to buy a 7XXX card or a 260/280. Or go ATI.

Ati is not perfect, but the symptoms are much less severe.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 01:11 AM   #46
gqman69

I don't live in China so if I want to bash nVidia for basically laughing to my face as I bought a GTX 260 at 400$CAD with mediocre performance in KDE4 but also Compiz I will.

Because of the "reputation" nVidia got for "supporting" Linux I bought this new card. Now my friend has a laptop with a ATI X1400 and KDE4 and it makes me mad to look at the smooth performance he's getting.

I got an Intel q9450 - 8GB RAM DDR3 - Asus P5E3 X48 - eVGA Superclock GTX 260 and KDE4 (Compiz also) makes my computer feel slow.

You want me to stop bashing? I'll bash you too.

They are aware of the problems? Really? Thanks for caring so much nVidia. Maybe you'll do something before 2010. How long does it take to implement proper functionality for your hardware? 2D sucked since the 6000 series.

Don't want to go Open Sources? then fix the damn problems.

Don't want to "officially" support Linux? then stop marketing your hardware as the best solution on Linux.

I have no brand loyalty, I try to buy the best. Next time I'll shop more carefully.
gqman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 01:28 AM   #47
eliwap

I don't think that I could have said it any better. NVidia.... You had better take note... You are disaffecting many customers. Please either, put the appropriate resources into Linux development or allow the community to do so.
eliwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 10:26 AM   #48
cjcox

We make a lot of our purchases based on the potential of running Linux. And that has included making sure the device being purchased has an Nvidia GPU.

But, with that said, Linux is an unsupported hobby for Nvidia...

Now that ATI is WILLING to help out in the development of community drivers, ATI will eventually displace Nvidia (Windows or not). But, it has been a great ride in general. Nvidia has to choose the business plan that makes the best sense for them. They have made that choice and the choice does NOT include Linux.... at least for now.

ATI's plan DOES include Linux. So does Intel. So if there is any good news, there are going to be great GPUs that work well with Linux. However, it is very likely that in the next few years... Nvidia won't be one of those. I will admit, I worked on an Intel based laptop the other day... I was VERY impressed. Intel has come a long way.

Nvidia's quality controls, as we have seen, have gone way down. I've had to replace some Nvidia GPUs over this past year because they fried (in a non oc'd BUSINESS, non gaming, environment). At this point, I'm not sure what Nvidia's business plan is. Looks like it may be self destruction (??). Maybe ranting and raving about Nvidia supporting Linux isn't the best approach. I think bolstering other companies that have chosen to support Linux is a better stance. Then Nvidia won't even matter.... or perhaps, just perhaps, Nvidia will decide that Linux users matter. We'll see.
cjcox is offline   Reply With Quote