Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-03, 06:17 PM   #1
hacnslash

Arrow mesa problems

Ok, the last time i installed an nvidia driver on my slackware 9.0 system my x server got all screwed up, i reinstalled the os, and just left it. Now, i suddenly got the urge to play some 3d games on my legacy tnt2. So the answer is this:
Should i first uninstall the mesa libraries completely from my computer? and is so how?!
or, should i install the driver over it, and hope for the best?!
thanks for any answers in advance

come on guys, 19 views, and nobody know this?!

Last edited by hacnslash; 08-10-03 at 09:17 AM.
hacnslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 02:03 PM   #2
Ross Clement

If you extract the files from the nvidia driver installer, then you can have a look at the Makefile in the top level directory, and see what libraries it is trying to remove and replace. Then, you can verify whether it's looking for the libraries in the correct location for your machine, and take whatever action is necessary. Note that the 'include' subdirectory you'll find has three .h files. For some reason, on my machine at least, the installer did not replace the mesa files in the /usr/linclude/GL directory, and I had to do it by hand. But then, openGL apps don't work on my computer (yet?), so while I verified that I could compile with the new header files, I don't know whether they are necessary for successful compilation with the nvidia opengl files (I'd presume so).

But, I'm completely lost myself, so I don't know how much of what I say is absolutely correct :-(

Cheers,

Ross-c
Old 08-11-03, 06:38 AM   #3
hacnslash

ok, well i guess i should just back my s*it up and try it out.
hacnslash is offline   Reply With Quote