Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-08, 02:53 PM   #13
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

Default Re: friend casts doubts over my TV choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag View Post
I don't think you can generalize like that. I just picked up a Samsung LCD, the LN46A750, and I can't see a color shift until almost parallel with the screen...
Its not necessarily a color shift but grey scale shift.

Bring up a near black grey scale ramp with Below black information in it.

Calibrate your black level while sitting directly in front of the unit to the point were below black matches the video level black background.

Then move around and you will see that black levels change, not so much color.
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 03:18 PM   #14
Lyme

Plasmas still command quite a premium. The picture also degrades quicker than others. Also has a shorter lifespan.

On that note, my 42" toshiba dlp has been running over 5,500hrs on the same bulb.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 03:33 PM   #15
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Its not necessarily a color shift but grey scale shift.

Bring up a near black grey scale ramp with Below black information in it.

Calibrate your black level while sitting directly in front of the unit to the point were below black matches the video level black background.

Then move around and you will see that black levels change, not so much color.
Well most of the content I view is color.

Either way, you may be right, but I don't like doing these types of tests. It's a psychological thing; If I am not aware of the issue, will it bug me?

Seriously, If I had never found avsforums it probably wouldn't have taken me 3 years to get an HDTV.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 04:05 PM   #16
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag View Post
Well most of the content I view is color.

Either way, you may be right, but I don't like doing these types of tests. It's a psychological thing; If I am not aware of the issue, will it bug me?

Seriously, If I had never found avsforums it probably wouldn't have taken me 3 years to get an HDTV.
That's so true. When I got my Sony LCD, I bought it after just doing a few tests in store. When I read avsforums I found out there was a known issue with clouding on some panels. I spent weeks looking for clouding and convincing myself I could see it when it didn't exist. I think the 'clouding' they were talking about was very obvious but I was looking for subtle changes in black levels around the screen and seeing things that just weren't there.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 04:10 PM   #17
Sowk

If you guys post on AVS, you may know who I am then.
Old 08-08-08, 04:11 PM   #18
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42 View Post
That's so true. When I got my Sony LCD, I bought it after just doing a few tests in store. When I read avsforums I found out there was a known issue with clouding on some panels. I spent weeks looking for clouding and convincing myself I could see it when it didn't exist. I think the 'clouding' they were talking about was very obvious but I was looking for subtle changes in black levels around the screen and seeing things that just weren't there.
Haha me too! Every now and then I think "Is that flashlighting? Damn AVSFORUM!"

Usually black backgrounds appear to show panel faults when I watch SD content, so I am chalking it up to source. Even if it isn't, I am trying to delude myself. However, just typing this thought out indicates I have failed so far. ARGH!
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 05:45 PM   #19
Sowk

The cloud "ISSUE" is real, but can only be seen on an all black background, and on an angle of 35 degrees or more. Not worth worring about.
Old 08-08-08, 08:21 PM   #20
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Quote:
If angle viewing is of importance, a plasma will get you the best results.

Panasonic or Pioneer are the 2 top manufactures in Plasma.

Also, what TV does your friend own as reference?

60" Pioneer Kuro

Damn that was fast, put the tv for sale on CL and got quite a lot of responses. Guy came to see it in the noon and paid cash straight off. Now I am out of a tv...lol

Old 08-08-08, 08:28 PM   #21
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
Damn that was fast, put the tv for sale on CL and got quite a lot of responses. Guy came to see it in the noon and paid cash straight off. Now I am out of a tv...lol
there's a reason for that... DLP are hands down the best picture quality available. your "friend" sounds like a brainwashed bb employee. i own a sony 60a3000 and everyone that has ever seen my tv has remarked that my picture looks 100 times better than their lcd/plasma. if your friend didn't like the picture from where he was sitting, why not just tell him to switch seats? i'll take real black levels over a thinner bezel anyday

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 09:05 PM   #22
Sowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
60" Pioneer Kuro

Are you going to get the Kuro? If so save a little extra and get the Elite. Prue Mode is almost perfect out of the box. I know the basic 2008 Kuro's now have no option to calibrate to 6500K Color Temperature.
Old 08-08-08, 09:10 PM   #23
Sowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio View Post
there's a reason for that... DLP are hands down the best picture quality available. your "friend" sounds like a brainwashed bb employee. i own a sony 60a3000 and everyone that has ever seen my tv has remarked that my picture looks 100 times better than their lcd/plasma. if your friend didn't like the picture from where he was sitting, why not just tell him to switch seats? i'll take real black levels over a thinner bezel anyday
Your TV is a nice TV.

Some small things keep it from being a really great TV.

Overscan
1080P 60Htz only
Silk Screen Effect
1080i Deinterlacing is a 540P bob and not IVTC to 1080p

But it is not really comparable to a 50" or 60" Kuro Elite.

Also, I think you already know this but your TV is a Lcos, not DLP.
Old 08-09-08, 05:56 AM   #24
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
The cloud "ISSUE" is real, but can only be seen on an all black background, and on an angle of 35 degrees or more. Not worth worring about.
That's how crazy I was. That's exactly what I was doing: Going to an black output, turning the backlight up to max and then looking at it from all angles to see if I could see it. It was completely stupid.

BTW, sorry I only check out AVS for info and news when I'm ready to splash cash on something new so I don't remember you. I can't remember if I've ever actually posted there. I also go to the UK equivalent to avs at avforums.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote