Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-07, 05:55 AM   #1
pierswren

Question Dual head on one card without TwinView using Xinerama? (multiseat dreams...)

Hi,

If you don't know what "multiseat" means, go fall in love with the idea here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat

I'm trying to achieve a multiseat setup using my little 5200 which will allow me to run OpenGL apps on both screens. The reason for this is I want to use one screen+kb+mouse to run a MythTV session and a separate screen+kb+mouse to run my desktop session.

I've found various howto's around that show me how to do it using either Xepher or XevdevServer, but Xepher doesn't (AFAIK) support GLX and XevdevServer comes with doco less informative than this post

Anyhow, before I potentially waste many hours on this, can anyone answer a couple of questions?

1. Do the nvidia drivers support GLX on both screens when setup using Xinerama (not TwinView). See /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.txt Appendix P for an example of the setup i'm talking about.
2. Is there any other way to get a multiseat setup using one card with GLX at both seats?

I've searched and searched and threads that start talking about Xinerama+GLX or AIGLX or Compiz (or other accelerated app) end with someone posting an xorg.conf file that uses TwinView. I don't think TwinView will help me because I can't see how to associate separate X sessions or input devices with the independant screens when TwinView is in use.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Piers.
pierswren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 06:40 PM   #2
JaXXoN

Default Re: Dual head on one card without TwinView using Xinerama? (multiseat dreams...)

Hi!

The situation is that you need seperate framebuffers
for each output and neither the "nv" nor the "nvidia" driver
supports this, AFAIK.

An option would be run an Xnest X-server on top of a
xinerama or twinview setup where Xnest is spread across
a display and modified in order to take mouse and keyboard
input from user defined USB devices rather than from the
"Main" X-Server (didn't checked for a while, but i don't think
that has been implemented, yet). However, this solution
would also be far from optimal - at least, you would have
full 3D acceleration on one screen and a certain degree of 2D
acceleration on the other screen (might be sufficient for your
purposes)

I recommend purchasing a second PCI video card!

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 10:31 PM   #3
pierswren

Default Re: Dual head on one card without TwinView using Xinerama? (multiseat dreams...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
An option would be run an Xnest X-server
Thanks for replying! I'm starting to think Xnest (or the newer, currently maintained Xepher) might be the best option if it gives *some* acceleration. I didn't think Xnest allowed GLX, but i'll be happy to be proven wrong At the end of the day all I really need is one display with GLX (for games) and the other with XvMC (for HDTV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
I recommend purchasing a second PCI video card!
Where's the fun in that!? Anyone can get 2 cards working with an hour on google. Besides, the subject of the experiment is a HTPC box with very little space that already has issues dissipating heat.

Will update if/when I get something working :- don't hold your breath...
pierswren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 07:51 AM   #4
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierswren
I'm starting to think Xnest (or the newer, currently maintained Xepher) might be the best option if it gives *some* acceleration.
I think Xnest does at least some 2D acceleration, IIRC.

Quote:
I didn't think Xnest allowed GLX, but i'll be happy to be proven wrong At the end of the day all I really need is one display with GLX (for games) and the other with XvMC (for HDTV).
Xnest/Xepher might be good enough for video playback.

Quote:
Where's the fun in that!? Anyone can get 2 cards working with an hour on google. Besides, the subject of the experiment is a HTPC box with very little space that already has issues dissipating heat.
I see, good luck!

regards

Bernhard
Old 08-10-08, 06:43 PM   #5
Biffidus

Hi, sorry to drag up an old thread!

I was hoping to use a similar setup to the one mentioned in the original post, is it possible using the latest versions of the nvidia driver?

If (as I suspect) it is not possible, is Xepher still the way to go?

Thanks
Biffidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 07:19 PM   #6
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffidus View Post
is Xepher still the way to go?
I guess so - this article on multiseat with xephyr might be usefull:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Multiterminal_with_Xephyr

regards

Bernhard