Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-08, 12:25 PM   #25
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Default Re: Building Another HTPC

I don't know if all HTPC cases are like this but both of my brothers have Silverstone cases that look like the one you've posted six_storm and they were a complete waste of money.

They do not offer any special features at all. They don't have any tool-free features (not even thumbscrews) for anything, they don't have a removable HDD tray, they had a stupid bar right in the middle running the length of the case that got in the way of CPU HSF installation, the fans were very noisy and it wasn't like they were made out of quality thick aluminium either.

I've never had a regular Silverstone case so I don't know if all of them are like that, but I've ruled myself out of ever spending a lot of cash on one of their HTPC offerings.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 01:08 PM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I started playing around the with "MyMovies" software that blends with VMC and I can settle with that for backing up DVDs and playing them back. The video quality is 1:1 so there is not compression and no fuzziness . My biggest issue/concern right now is the hard drive space. I ripped "The Last Kiss" and "Batman Begins", just the movie and 5.1 audio via DVDShrink (no compression) this morning. This wound up being 4GB for "The Last Kiss" and 6.3GB for "Batman Begins". So if the average movie is 5GB for JUST the main movie and 5.1 audio, then my configuration below will only allow me to store roughly 120 movies (give or take). I've got a 40GB folder for my torrent downloads (movies, music, programs, etc) and about 25-30GB of that is movies and music. Looks like the 640GB drive won't last long huh?
that why i told you use h264
Old 08-09-08, 01:26 PM   #27
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
that why i told you use h264
I asked you earlier in the thread about how you rip your DVDs but you never answered . I'll play around with those programs and see what I can get.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 01:44 PM   #28
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42 View Post
I don't know if all HTPC cases are like this but both of my brothers have Silverstone cases that look like the one you've posted six_storm and they were a complete waste of money.

They do not offer any special features at all. They don't have any tool-free features (not even thumbscrews) for anything, they don't have a removable HDD tray, they had a stupid bar right in the middle running the length of the case that got in the way of CPU HSF installation, the fans were very noisy and it wasn't like they were made out of quality thick aluminium either.

I've never had a regular Silverstone case so I don't know if all of them are like that, but I've ruled myself out of ever spending a lot of cash on one of their HTPC offerings.
Here's what I was looking for in a case: 2 optical drives (DVD and BD-ROM), 4 or more HDD bays, room to work, room for airflow and good looks to match my home theater furniture. The Silverstone case does all of this and I haven't really seen any other case that does this. Do you have a suggestion on the case? I'd be glad to take a look at it.
Old 08-09-08, 02:13 PM   #29
six_storm

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5690181

The Gigabyte Mobo I picked out plus an AMD Athlon X2 5600+ CPU = $69.99! Think I should do this instead of the same board plus the 4050e?

EDIT - Dang, that sold out fast. Guess I'll keep an eye on it and see if it comes back in stock.
Old 08-09-08, 08:37 PM   #30
six_storm

Just ordered the Gigabyte board, the AMD CPU, the Corsair RAM, CoolerMaster PSU and the Microsoft MCE Remote. The wifey made me split the total amount in half and only spend that much for this month. But hey, this will give me time to research and keep my eye open for the right case.

So back to DVD ripping and audio converting. nekro has yet to give me some details on DVD ripping and I do have another question. I have all of my music in iTunes, I'm guessing in AAC? So what would be the best codec to export my iTunes library to in order to use with VMC? MP3? FLAC?
Old 08-10-08, 01:00 AM   #31
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

WMA Lossless.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 06:17 AM   #32
six_storm

I was checking on what quality my music in iTunes was and of course, it was the standard 128k AAC encoder. Is there any way that I can convert my entire library to some other format, maybe even enhance the quality just a little bit? Or would I be wasting my time?

Old 08-11-08, 07:07 AM   #33
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

You can convert without loosing much more quality, but you can't add quality. In fact you might find it hard to convert to any format without loosing quality.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 08:40 AM   #34
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

A nifty little program out there (made by an Aussie Company) is called Wavepad. You can convert AAC to just about anything else you want out there, and jack up the encoding quality so you don't lose the quality from the AAC conversion.

For Dvd ripping, DVDFab Platinum is very handy. You can rip it to specific sizes, screen size, audio type, bit rates, etc... Also very handy for backing up any discs you purchase and don't want them scratched. Example, To rip Madagascar with screen size 944x508 (16:9 ratio) with H.264 Mp3 @ 320 kb/s and overall Bitrate of 1026 kb/s, it comes to a total of 796 Mb. Going fullscreen on my 42" with that kind of rip is slightly blurry, but sitting back from it you see no difference to DVD.

Same details, but with 128 kb/s AAC audio, i get 681 Mb.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 09:01 AM   #35
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf View Post
A nifty little program out there (made by an Aussie Company) is called Wavepad. You can convert AAC to just about anything else you want out there, and jack up the encoding quality so you don't lose the quality from the AAC conversion.

For Dvd ripping, DVDFab Platinum is very handy. You can rip it to specific sizes, screen size, audio type, bit rates, etc... Also very handy for backing up any discs you purchase and don't want them scratched. Example, To rip Madagascar with screen size 944x508 (16:9 ratio) with H.264 Mp3 @ 320 kb/s and overall Bitrate of 1026 kb/s, it comes to a total of 796 Mb. Going fullscreen on my 42" with that kind of rip is slightly blurry, but sitting back from it you see no difference to DVD.

Same details, but with 128 kb/s AAC audio, i get 681 Mb.
In DVDFab, how do you change options such as audio codecs, resolution size, etc?
Old 08-11-08, 09:15 AM   #36
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Open up dvdfab, choose the disc location (disc source, up top in the centre) then on the left side, down in the second selection part under DVD to Mobile, click generic.

It'll give you a list of video locations from the disc, and have the largest one (the movie) selected. Then select audio input (should have the first one ticked), then underneath audio, it'll have the Sub selections. Untick those if you don't want subs on your movie.

Click next, then click configure. Up the top, next to generic is a dropdown list of your audio selections. Choose either H.264 Mp3 or AAC, then name it as you wish. Under that is your options for screen size and encoding size.

I usually use Fixed bitrate and use between 1024 - 1280 for best results. Select your screen size and sized aspect ratio. Leave framerate same as source. With Audio format, select the largest one, which provides best audio quality, and you can even increase the amount of volume from the original disc. If you deselected the Subs in movie selection screen, then subpicture is not configurable.

When all done with that, hit OK, then hit start.

When all is finished, Output file goes to "C:\Users\*****\Documents\DVDFab\"
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote