Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-08, 03:46 AM   #1
hirumono

Default System freeze with Asus N6600/TD and dual-core AMD64: bug report

Hello,

I'm opening this thread because yesterday, for the first time, I could "escape" from a freeze and run some tests on my system. In the past freezes were complete, but maybe booting with "noapic" + "idle=poll" and disabling the "SilkenMouse" option in the nVidia device section in Xorg made the trick. (I suspect the latter more than anything else, because the mouse started to "stutter" before the freeze).
When my machine locked, I used the Alt-SysReq-r combo to unlock my keyboard and Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open another terminal session. (I had tried this in the past, but without result)
Top showed nothing strange. All processes, Xorg included, were behaving nicely. I ran the nVidia bug reporting script and copied the output of dmesg (I am attaching them in my post).
My hardware config is as follows:

Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard
Asus N6600/TD video board
AMD Athlon64 3800+ dual-CPU
2 GB Ram by Kingston

Running Ubuntu Hardy Heron with latest updates, nVidia driver 173.14.12 installed through EnvyNG.

For the records, I had the same freezing issues both with the nVidia drivers from Ubuntu repositories, and with every previous nVidia driver (including the "legacy" ones).
My kernel doesn't use the MMCONFIG option by default and I didn't enable it.
No IRQ conflicts from cat /proc/interrupts.

I forgot to add that, after running the tests in the terminal, I tried switching back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7... and it worked!! Everything was functional, except for Firefox whose window was white. I could work normally after that.
Attached Files
File Type: gz logs.tar.gz (15.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz (25.7 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by hirumono; 08-15-08 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Information added
hirumono is offline   Reply With Quote