Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-08, 12:15 AM   #1
1amzave

Default Driver misreporting pixel shader support?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to get Portal to run under WINE. After a bit of tweaking I've got it to a point where it will show the Valve/Steam intro screens and then properly render the background image for the main game menu, but then it immediately crashes and I get a message box informing me that this game requires hardware support for pixel shader 1.1. Given that my graphics card is an 8500GT (which the internet tells me supports pixel shader 4.0), I suspect the problem may be the driver (version 173.14.12) failing to report its capabilities correctly, though I'm far from an expert in these areas and may very well be very wrong.

Anyone know what the deal is? I'm running kernel 2.6.26.1 and WINE 1.0. (Though I had the same problem with kernel 2.6.25 and driver 173.14.09, for what it's worth.)

Any/all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zev
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (30.4 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by 1amzave; 08-08-08 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Attaching nvidia-bug-report.log
1amzave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 06:44 AM   #2
Kash000

Default Re: Driver misreporting pixel shader support?

I have the exact same issue with TF2 (another source engine game). I have an nvidia 8800 GT which is more than sufficient hardware-wise. TF2 loads till the game screen and crashes with the same error message.

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) with the Nvidia driver. No idea why this isn't working though and I can't find anyone else running into this issue and having solved it

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Kash
Kash000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 12:21 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

The Source engine runs on DirectX. It's up to Wine to translate the OpenGL version and extension string into whatever DirectX uses.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 12:48 PM   #4
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=9432

Even though there is a person reporting the same problem, it seems to work with the correct options provided.

Please read the appdb first whenever you are encountering problems with wine.

hth

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 06:01 PM   #5
1amzave

NvFuchs: thanks, but that other person reporting the same problem is, in fact, me, and no one seems to have responded (though I suppose there's still a chance someone will). I've read through that page and done everything recommended in the "how to", but still no luck.

AaronP: so then this looks more like a WINE problem? I suppose my version is a little out of date (1.0, when 1.1.2 is out according to the web page), but the Fedora yum repositories are sadly not distributing a newer one yet. Perhaps I can try compiling/installing my own and see if it's any better.
Old 08-12-08, 08:09 AM   #6
tec-buck

Ref http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
Looks thru the Direct3D options, and try UseGLSL "disabled"

You may want to play around with the other options to improve performance etc.
tec-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 11:21 AM   #7
1amzave

As I wrote in the post on the WINE appdb linked to by NvFuchs, I've tried various settings of that along with a few other registry keys that seemed potentially relevant, but nothing seemed to make any difference at all. Perhaps a newer version of WINE will fix it, though I haven't gotten around to building the development version (I'm hoping they'll announce a stable version soon and it'll get updated in the distro repositories).