Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-08, 09:47 AM   #1
anti_pop
*BANNED*

Default 9600 GT - which driver and settings ?

hello!

somehow i cant get stable 125 fps on OpenArena (with max settings)..so i wonder if i have set up my driver correctly..im a bit lost with all those options recommended on several sites for tuning the 2d and 3d performance of recent nvidia cards. im using compiz on kde3. here is a list of options i have set in my xorg.conf..i have no clue if they increase or even hurt the performance: (using 173 drivers)

Option "PixmapCacheSize" "300000"
Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True"
Option "AllowIndirectPixmaps" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "UseEvents" "false"
Option "TripleBuffer" "1"
Option "DamageEvents" "1"
Option "BackingStore" "1"

i also have InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1 in my autostart..

which driver is the better choice for gaming: 177 beta or the stable 173 series ?
and is it advisable to use the sync to vblank option in nvidia-settings ?

it would be cool if someone could give me a helping hand tuning my xorg.conf for some games..
anti_pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 11:09 AM   #2
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: 9600 GT - which driver and settings ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_pop View Post
hello!

somehow i cant get stable 125 fps on OpenArena (with max settings)..so i wonder if i have set up my driver correctly..im a bit lost with all those options recommended on several sites for tuning the 2d and 3d performance of recent nvidia cards. im using compiz on kde3. here is a list of options i have set in my xorg.conf..i have no clue if they increase or even hurt the performance: (using 173 drivers)

Option "AllowIndirectPixmaps" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "UseEvents" "false"
Option "TripleBuffer" "1"
Option "DamageEvents" "1"
Option "BackingStore" "1"

i also have InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1 in my autostart..

which driver is the better choice for gaming: 177 beta or the stable 173 series ?
and is it advisable to use the sync to vblank option in nvidia-settings ?

it would be cool if someone could give me a helping hand tuning my xorg.conf for some games..
Most of these settings are mainly to accelerate 2D. But keeping them should not hurt. However, by turning on sync to vblank for OpenGL you get a maximum framerate of $your_refresh_rate. As for many games having a stable rate instead of a high rate is better you should either set a max. framerate for the game or use sync to vblank.

Removing

might speed up 3D apps a bit, same goes for trying different values for initial pixmap placement.

I'd recommend using the stable driver, however, just compare both of them and take the one which works better for you.

hth

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 04:06 AM   #3
anti_pop
*BANNED*

thanks for the informations. my fps drops are not related to the gfx card, its more likely that its a problem with the game itself..
anti_pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 04:33 AM   #4
ZicoTheTux

hello

I'd also try to switch off Compiz for running games. In my experience this always gave me some heavy slowdowns in games and some really jumpy Framerates.
Maybe just for testing, give it a try.
ZicoTheTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 05:31 AM   #5
staun

Hey,

Could one of you guys post the best xorg.conf you have with all the tweaks in stuff in it for a Geforce 9600 which you found best for 3D mainly, and secondly 2D?

I know there are performance issues with the Geforce 9600 series (I get less frames on my Geforce 9600 than with my old 7650 card), but I am sure you guys tweaked the G9600 to better performance than my current 20 fps (I got a quad core system with a lot of mhz)

Cheers,

Soeren
staun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 05:42 AM   #6
Dragoran

The xorg.conf is not a magic "make everything faster" file ... just remove all non default options you added. That's the best setting for performance 3D. If you are running compiz either make sure that it's started with --loose-bindings or disable it.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote