Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-08, 08:36 PM   #25
Amaury

Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

I'm hoping Nvidia releases a faster card soon. I think the 48070x2 is an awesome card but I like Nvidia's recent work on gpu accelerated physx and CUDA supported apps, especially on video encoders. And their upcoming Forceware 1.80 drivers that I heard will finally fix SLI enabled multi monitor display so you don't have to turn on/off sli whenever you want to use multiple monitiors.
Amaury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 09:00 PM   #26
Xion X2

Quote:
"We've done our own testing of SLI vs Crossfire and we see a lot of issues with Crossfire. SLI is far more developed and doesn't have as many issues."
[cough]...

bulls#^%

[/cough]

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 09:28 PM   #27
Tho Jo Smale
Maximum Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
[cough]...

bulls#^%

[/cough]
Well said.

JC
Thermaltake 750w PSU
HIS Radeon 4870 1024MB 800/960 Cat 9.4 Beta
Creative X-FI APU
Western Digital 640gb Sata II Harddisk
Logitech Z-640 5.1 surround speakers
Lg 52X cd r/w and Lg 16x DVD R/W Lightscribe
3dmark06 14410 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8600451
Newbs Helping Newbs brings a tear to my eye
Tho Jo Smale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 12:37 AM   #28
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
GTX280 = about 400
4870x2 = about 550

prices are not about the same
Hahaha. With rebates it's $410 But anyway you are so funny. The moment there is a pricve drop (about 1 every 2 weeks lately on the GTX200's) you start a $$$ comparison. Guess we have to see where ATI drop the price to in a week.

Maybe they can't? I guess we shall see.

Oh and 4870 is $250 with Grid included and there are GTX260's hitting that price point now. So is that GTX280 worth $410 now? See everyone can do that. *EDIT* removed nana emote so I don't hurt anyones feelings. But I know what you were getting at. IMO with 4870 and GTX260 hitting the $250 mark, I do not believe the 280 and 4870x2 are worth the asking price now.

C.
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 12:41 AM   #29
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by buicks suck View Post
I notice shimmering with my parents 1900xtx at hq af, and with catalyst ai disabled and adaa enabled.

To me the difference in the aftester look pretty big to me.

I won't be surprised though if nvidia does downgrade to ati's "hq" af. I'm sure they would've had they known that so many people are unfortunately indifferent to nvidia's superior af.

Keep in mind, ati didn't have the best filtering in mind with the r500 b/c there's no hw filtering for fp16 textures. it does it thru shaders. less than near perfect filtering is unnacceptable, imo.
Downgrade to ATI's IQ indeed. ROFLMAO. You sir should have your own comedy show.

I try and try and try.... 90% of the time on the exact same screens I cannot see a difference in AF now. It's all BS IMO.

Maybe if I zoomed in a select screen shot on a rare angle somewhere and side by sided it but I honestly cannot pick it out while playing. It is that minor.

You have to go to High Quality Filtering in the nV CP to kill some of the track side shimmering I see in GTR2 and richard burns rally. At least when I played it with my 8800GT.

It's 6 of this and a half dozen of the other as per the usual.

Oh and in the nV CP you have to force Gamma Correct AA as well as the ATI driver is locked with Gamma Correct AA and it cannot be "downgraded".

C.
Old 08-19-08, 01:50 AM   #30
MisterMister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
Hahaha. With rebates it's $410 But anyway you are so funny. The moment there is a pricve drop (about 1 every 2 weeks lately on the GTX200's) you start a $$$ comparison. Guess we have to see where ATI drop the price to in a week.

Maybe they can't? I guess we shall see.

Oh and 4870 is $250 with Grid included and there are GTX260's hitting that price point now. So is that GTX280 worth $410 now? See everyone can do that.

But I know what you were getting at. IMO with 4870 and GTX260 hitting the $250 mark, I do not believe the 280 and 4870x2 are worth the asking price now.

C.
A) You're seriously splitting hairs over 10 dollars? Do you really need the definition of "about" spelled out for you? I.E. "about $400.00"? In ANY definition of the word, $410 can be described as about 400 dollars. Talk about grasping for straws in order to pick an e-fight.

B) If you had bothered reading the thread (hell, he even quoted it for you), you would have seen that what he said was in response to another poster saying the HD4870x2 "cost about the same" as the 280GTX. He didn't "start a $$$ comparison" as you say.

C) Within this specific discussion, who said anything about the standard HD4870? Besides you of course. Oh wait... no one.

D) Not everyone wants GRID, so IDK WTF your point is with that one. Besides anyone with google can find a bajillion offers of the same ilk with Nvidia cards. That's a total wash not to mention pointless.

You may remove the foot from your mouth now.

Pssst... BTW, your rampant fanboyism is showing through.
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.4GHz (3.6 for benchmarking)
2GB OCZ ReaperX HPC Edition PC9200 DDR2 RAM (2x1GB)
2x EVGA 9600GT SC in SLI (750/1100Mhz over-clock)
2x WD Raptor HDD (1x 36GB; 1x 74GB)
Samsung Spinpoint HDD (250GB)
Thermalright TRUE-120 w/ dual 120mm fans in push-pull config.
Windows Vista Home Professional w/ SP1 (32-bit)
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" LCD display (1680x1050)

3DMark06: 17,420 Points
MisterMister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 02:03 AM   #31
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMister View Post
A) You're telling me that there is already a $150.00 rebate on a brand new top line card, which just came out a few days ago? I'd have to see that to believe it...
...of course, I suppose you could have been talking about the 280, in which case, do you really need the definition of "about" spelled out for you? I.E. "about $400.00"?

B) If you had bothered reading the thread (hell, he even quoted it for you), you would have seen that what he said was in response to another poster saying the HD4870x2 "cost about the same" as the 280GTX. He didn't "start a $$$ comparison" as you say.

C) Within this specific discussion, who said anything about the standard HD4870? Besides you of course. Oh wait... no one.

D) Not everyone wants GRID, so IDK WTF your point is with that one. Besides anyone with google can find a bajillion offers of the same ilk with Nvidia cards. That's a total wash not to mention pointless.

Ouch. You sure showed me. I will think twice before responding to threads from now on.

But I doubt it.

OK. I'll talk slower for the cheap seats...

The $410 was for the GTX280. But I was wrong anyway... The BFG 280 just hit $389. Holy @#$^!!!

The rest of my comments were for him and addmittedly in a context meant for him but certainly was not a personal attack as you make it out to be. Probably not well executed on my part. But no where near worthy of your glorious post.

Winner of the over-reaction award..... You. With me as a runner up. HAHAHA!

C.
Old 08-19-08, 02:15 AM   #32
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMister View Post
A) You're seriously splitting hairs over 10 dollars? Do you really need the definition of "about" spelled out for you? I.E. "about $400.00"? In ANY definition of the word, $410 can be described as about 400 dollars. Talk about grasping for straws in order to pick an e-fight.

Pssst... BTW, your rampant fanboyism is showing through.
Oh nice ninja edit.

You may remove my *insert favorite body part here* from your mouth now.

Old 08-19-08, 09:18 AM   #33
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
Downgrade to ATI's IQ indeed. ROFLMAO. You sir should have your own comedy show.

I try and try and try.... 90% of the time on the exact same screens I cannot see a difference in AF now. It's all BS IMO.

Maybe if I zoomed in a select screen shot on a rare angle somewhere and side by sided it but I honestly cannot pick it out while playing. It is that minor.

You have to go to High Quality Filtering in the nV CP to kill some of the track side shimmering I see in GTR2 and richard burns rally. At least when I played it with my 8800GT.

It's 6 of this and a half dozen of the other as per the usual.

Oh and in the nV CP you have to force Gamma Correct AA as well as the ATI driver is locked with Gamma Correct AA and it cannot be "downgraded".

C.

Just borrow Buick's electron miscroscope. Problem solved.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 09:36 AM   #34
hemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
[cough]...

bulls#^%

[/cough]
Both have many issues, I will no longer touch either.

SLI has fewer IMO, but I will never go back to a NVIDIA chipset in the distant future.
hemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 10:37 AM   #35
Maverickman

The HD 4870 X2 may be the fastest overall single card, but it is more expensive than the GTX 280 and has a higher power draw with just as much if not more generated heat. Dual-GPU cards are also problematic with certain games. We know that they just don't scale as well as single-GPU cards like the GTX 280 and then there's the dreaded micro-stuttering. If I had my choice, I would always go with a single-GPU card. Now that the GTX 280 has dropped to about $400, I think it's a better deal than the 4870 X2 at $550. On the other hand, the regular HD 4870 is a better buy at under $289 than the GTX 280. There is no question that ATI has won the price-performance round this time. The 4870 X2 is only for those who want the fatest card and money is no object.
16X BluRay-RW drive
Dell 30-inch U3014 monitor
Dell speakers
Maverickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 11:40 AM   #36
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickman View Post
The 4870 X2 is only for those who want the fatest card and money is no object.
And who can live with any idiosyncrasies associated with multiple GPUs. SLI and Crossfire aren't worth the time, effort, and expense.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote