Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-08, 02:30 AM   #1
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Default CryEngine 3 announced!

CryEngine 3 in 2012

"Speaking at Games Convention Developers Conference 2008 in Leipzig, Germany, Crytek CEO and President Cevat Yerli said the studio's next engine should be ready for sometime in 2012. As of right now, he says, the degree to which graphics can represent real-life is bottlenecked by a lack of new hardware. He says GPU and CPU technology are converging, evident in the new technologies in development at Nvidia and ATI, as well as what Intel's doing with Larrabee. Until the growing trend of CPU and GPU convergence is more defined, developers will have to focus on increased graphical stylization as well as more advanced physics and AI programming.

Crytek's previous engines include the CryEngine 1, which powered the first-person shooter Far Cry in 2004, and CryEngine 2, which was used for Crysis as well as the upcoming Crysis Warhead. Yerli believes this engine technology will be more than sufficient in powering games through 2012, when he expects Microsoft and Sony to release their new consoles.

Development in the future will require studios to more effectively streamline their production processes, both on the technical and office workflow side of things. In five years, Yerli seemed confident that real-time gaming graphics will match current CGI offline rendering. As of right now, Crytek is still working to increase efficiency with its CryEngine 2 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 platforms. Yerli mentioned that the PlayStation 3 required an extra degree of work, but the company is convinced it's worth the effort to get the engine running properly on Sony's platform.

In the latter part of 2009 is when Yerli expects Crytek to begin full production in its next engine, which will be tailored for development across multiple platforms. Until then, he's excited by the gameplay possibilities that may become possible as developers focus on technical aspects aside from graphical realism, though he didn't go into many specific examples of what was possible."

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/899/899974p1.html
Soetdjuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 02:36 AM   #2
Bokishi
NV THIS

Default Re: CryEngine 3 announced!

It gonna make Crysis look like Far Cry!
EVGA GTX 680
X-Fi Titanium HD
Intel 40GB SSD (SRT Cache)
Hitachi 1TB Boot HDD
7TB Storage HDDs
Coolermaster 750w
Bokishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 03:54 AM   #3
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokishi View Post

Prolly, or even more...
Soetdjuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 03:58 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

In other words

"CryEngine 2 is too hard to get to run properly. Lets forget about it and do CryEngine 3.".
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 06:19 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
In other words

"CryEngine 2 is too hard to get to run properly. Lets forget about it and do CryEngine 3.".
and yap, they are waiting for new consoles

Quote:
engine technology will be more than sufficient in powering games through 2012, when he expects Microsoft and Sony to release their new consoles.
Old 08-20-08, 08:47 AM   #6
crainger

I'm going to release a new console and through his plans completely off. It's a console, that uses mostly PC parts, it's big black, with white controllers, has a kinder surprise style dashboard, you upload real money to an online wallet to buy points to then buy games. It will have component, until enough buy it then HDMI, will come with a DVD drive then a blu ray version will come out just after the HDMI version. Oh and I'll release an addon at some point that lets you play games and maybe watch movies on it. That's still up in the air though.
Old 08-20-08, 09:28 AM   #7
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Yay! More PC raping in 2012!!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 10:13 AM   #8
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
I'm going to release a new console and through his plans completely off. It's a console, that uses mostly PC parts, it's big black, with white controllers, has a kinder surprise style dashboard, you upload real money to an online wallet to buy points to then buy games. It will have component, until enough buy it then HDMI, will come with a DVD drive then a blu ray version will come out just after the HDMI version. Oh and I'll release an addon at some point that lets you play games and maybe watch movies on it. That's still up in the air though.
Pre-ordered

To OP , indeed CE2 shall be sufficient for ~3-4yrs seeing no other game not even those coming in 2009 can match it let alone surpassing it.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-08, 05:48 PM   #9
Igor Vitaly
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokishi View Post
Then we would be at the doorstep to virtual reality with that engine....f*ck me when that day comes.
Igor Vitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 06:19 PM   #10
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
the degree to which graphics can represent real-life is bottlenecked by a lack of new hardware.
Hasn't this always been the case?
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 06:21 PM   #11
crainger

It has, but think back to when Video card tech demos always looked better than the games. Now games like Crysis look better than the tech demos, and they aren't even programmed for that card!
Old 08-20-08, 07:51 PM   #12
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
It has, but think back to when Video card tech demos always looked better than the games. Now games like Crysis look better than the tech demos, and they aren't even programmed for that card!
Exactly.

Crysis may run like ass at full settings, but we've never had games that were so far ahead of everything else in graphics quality.

The engine is waiting for the hardware now.

I really think this will be a game that people will go back and play in a couple years and enjoy far more than they did last year. Everyone kept saying that 20fps was an acceptable framerate for this game, and then went on saying the gameplay sucked. Maybe people will enjoy the game more when they can play it in real time rather than watching a slide show.

I loved it (all but the vtol and ship levels...) but I ran it at rather low settings for my system to keep the framerates fairly high. I can't wait to play it again with a significantly more powerful system.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote