Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-08, 10:40 AM   #61
Vasot02
Crazy Greek guy
 
Vasot02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Athens\Greece
Posts: 411
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
When was the last time you owned an ATI card? (be honest)
Almost 12 months ago
I was an ATI owner before buying an Asus 8800

Quote:
When was the last time I owned an Nvidia card? About 6 months ago.
Really ??
And why should i trust you and what makes you so special in here from all the others...

You have been banned in the past for your behavior if i remember correct (not only against me but against others as well)
What makes you a good example ?

Quote:
Well the majority in this case includes Nvidia, since that is who I quoted. Which further renders your argument baseless and illogical.
Do i need to make it more clear to you.
I thought that you were smart enough to understand.

I do not care if the majority is Nvidia or ATI or Intel or AMD or from any other company.
If people act like "sheeps" does not mean that i must follow them
I read other opinions but that does not mean that i agree with all of them or trust them
__________________
Vasot02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 11:02 AM   #62
namuk
Registered User
 
namuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 780
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

People breath in ... breath out ... breath in... breath out...
__________________
Onkyo SR-875BK. BD30. XE1. Tannoy rC. Monolith-DF. AE Aegis One. AE Aegis Three

PC connected to above sound system- GA-X58A-UD7,Intel i7 920 D0,Corsair 1600 6GB. 480GTX .prelude xfi. 1TB RE3,1TB Black,RE2 500GB,2X Raptors, Enermax Galaxy 1000w.Alphacool External LCD.Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution 'nVidia' Special Edition
namuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 11:09 AM   #63
particleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 370
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

It doesn't matter if it is a single "card" solution what is important is if it is a single "chip" solution. Having owned both 280 GTX SLi and 4870 Crossfire from this generation, I am still not very impressed with either multi-gpu solution. With the 4870x2 ATi still has not changed the way that multi-gpu solutions work. Until ATI or nVidia fundamentally change the way multi-gpu on a single card works, whether it is "single card" or not is just symantecs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Even Nvidia refers to the 4870X2 as a single card:

http://channel.hexus.net/content/ite...m=14993&page=2

Seems pretty evident to them that it's a "real" single card solution. Considering it also runs on a single PCI-E slot, I'd say you're in the minority here and need to go back and consult Plato again.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 01:27 PM   #64
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
It doesn't matter if it is a single "card" solution what is important is if it is a single "chip" solution. Having owned both 280 GTX SLi and 4870 Crossfire from this generation, I am still not very impressed with either multi-gpu solution. With the 4870x2 ATi still has not changed the way that multi-gpu solutions work. Until ATI or nVidia fundamentally change the way multi-gpu on a single card works, whether it is "single card" or not is just symantecs.
Sure for many it does matter it's single card, which saves money on more expensive mobo and should be cheaper two produce than 2 cards.
I also believe the Hd 4870 x2 is technically more advanced than the SLI, Crossfire or the present NVIDIA GX2 solution.
With every new generation we will see even more advancements and developers support but whether some people like it or not I believe the multi chip solution is the future, at least at top performance cards.

In order for NVIdia to have the top performance card and be price competitive they also will have to go the multi chip way.

The GTX 280 chip is way to large therefore NVIDIA has very bad yields. The 55nm shrink is still going to be large so about the same problems. By the time NVIDIA will have 40nm shrink ATI will also have one.

Anyway the main point is that some people like to use this single chip argument mainly to downplay the ATI achievement.
Instead off appreciating that ATI is again very competitive which benefits everybody.

If the card was so bad as some NVIDIA fans like as to believe, NVIDIA would never had a need to slash the prices on 200 cards series so drastically or have a need to regain the performance leadership and that's ALL what this thread is about.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 01:52 PM   #65
particleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 370
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

4870x2 is no more advanced than 4870 Crossfire or SLi. The much talked about crossfire sideport is disabled and even if it were enabled all it is, is an extra PCIe 2.0 Connection which wouldn't help anyways. If anything Crossfire is behind SLi because of fewer rendering modes thus even less compatibility than SLi.

I'm no fanboy, like I said I bought 4870s without hesitation. ATi offered better value initially, with their pricing, but IMO nVidia still has the better product.

And I use the single chip argument for both nVidia and ATi, fact is SLi and Crossfire still aren't where they need to be.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 01:57 PM   #66
Lfctony
Registered User
 
Lfctony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Larnaca, Cyprus
Posts: 4,152
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
4870x2 is no more advanced than 4870 Crossfire or SLi. The much talked about crossfire sideport is disabled and even if it were enabled all it is, is an extra PCIe 2.0 Connection which wouldn't help anyways. If anything Crossfire is behind SLi because of fewer rendering modes thus even less compatibility than SLi.

I'm no fanboy, like I said I bought 4870s without hesitation. ATi offered better value initially, with their pricing, but IMO nVidia still has the better product.
Hm... So all these diagrams showing the 2x RV770 chips communicating directly are untrue...
__________________
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 01:59 PM   #67
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
4870x2 is no more advanced than 4870 Crossfire or SLi. The much talked about crossfire sideport is disabled and even if it were enabled all it is, is an extra PCIe 2.0 Connection which wouldn't help anyways. If anything Crossfire is behind SLi because of fewer rendering modes thus even less compatibility than SLi.

I'm no fanboy, like I said I bought 4870s without hesitation. ATi offered better value initially, with their pricing, but IMO nVidia still has the better product.

And I use the single chip argument for both nVidia and ATi, fact is SLi and Crossfire still aren't where they need to be.

I think both NVIDIA and ATI make great products and they're both so close now that it's impossible to tell who has the "better" product. That said, I'd be happy to use either ATI or NVIDIA, but I've just gotten used to NVIDIA over the years, so I tend to look at their stuff first.
__________________
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 02:13 PM   #68
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
4870x2 is no more advanced than 4870 Crossfire or SLi. The much talked about crossfire sideport is disabled and even if it were enabled all it is, is an extra PCIe 2.0 Connection which wouldn't help anyways. If anything Crossfire is behind SLi because of fewer rendering modes thus even less compatibility than SLi.

I'm no fanboy, like I said I bought 4870s without hesitation. ATi offered better value initially, with their pricing, but IMO nVidia still has the better product.

And I use the single chip argument for both nVidia and ATi, fact is SLi and Crossfire still aren't where they need to be.
Sure SLI is better and cheaper than HD 4870 x2. All reviews suggest that.
And you just choose to ignore this "NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year" also you ignored the huge NVIDIA price reduction shortly after the 200 series introduction, which never happen before.
For example I paid for my 8800GTX card $540 when it was about 8 months on the market, now I can buy for just about the same money the HD 4870 x2 which is less than 2 weeks on the market.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-08, 02:32 PM   #69
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
I think both NVIDIA and ATI make great products and they're both so close now that it's impossible to tell who has the "better" product. That said, I'd be happy to use either ATI or NVIDIA, but I've just gotten used to NVIDIA over the years, so I tend to look at their stuff first.
I believe the same, but since I switch between NVIDIA & ATI all the time I never got used to any product, so I can switch in a minute just like that.

Now if looking to get the top performance single card and also save money (compared to 280 SLI), the HD 4870 x2 is the winner.

If it was not the fact the need for this thread would not exist.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 02:43 PM   #70
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Hm... So all these diagrams showing the 2x RV770 chips communicating directly are untrue...
Not untrue. The hardware capability is there; it's disabled in the driver at the moment because PCI-E bandwidth isn't a bottleneck at this time, and it's a power saver to have the sideport disabled.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 02:47 PM   #71
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasot02 View Post
And why should i trust you and what makes you so special in here from all the others...
I didn't say I was "special"; quit making crap up. But if you're going to call someone a "puppet" then you'd better be prepared to back up your statements.

Quote:
You have been banned in the past for your behavior if i remember correct
You don't. I was never banned; I was asked to take a temporary 2-week leave to cool off and avoid getting in pointless arguments with individuals like yourself.

Speaking of which, this little conversation between you and me is over.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 03:39 PM   #72
namuk
Registered User
 
namuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 780
Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

do not really want to get into this argument but..

nvidia may not be faster but still has alot going for it i.e profiles . physx (free) . open GL3.0 upcoming quad core driver support and driver support.. ect

me self am going to get a 280 this down to considerabley less power draw and runs alot cooler and nowing i can run me back log of games i have not played yet
__________________
Onkyo SR-875BK. BD30. XE1. Tannoy rC. Monolith-DF. AE Aegis One. AE Aegis Three

PC connected to above sound system- GA-X58A-UD7,Intel i7 920 D0,Corsair 1600 6GB. 480GTX .prelude xfi. 1TB RE3,1TB Black,RE2 500GB,2X Raptors, Enermax Galaxy 1000w.Alphacool External LCD.Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution 'nVidia' Special Edition
namuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA Unleashes the GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card ' Performance Perfected (WCCFTECH) News GeForce GTX 670 Reviews 0 05-10-12 08:40 AM
My UT2003 Tweak Guide DXnfiniteFX Gaming Central 48 10-30-02 11:59 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.