Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-03, 11:27 PM   #1
cricket

Default after fresh reinstall of winxp...

after doing a fresh install (reformated hard drive & reinstalling winxp home edition)..is a disk defragmentation suppose to be done of the C drive?
and also before the defragmentattion is an 'error checking suppose to be done on the C drive..if error checking is suppose to be done should the option "automatically fix file system error's" box be checked or the "scan for an attempt recovery of bad sector's" box be checked?

how important is it to do either of these after reinstalling win xp home edition?
i did check/analyze defragmentation and it said to defragment the drive. but i was told by someone that whenever you reinstall your operating system that you should also error check it in the 'scan for an attempt recovery for bad sector's"option......... which i know takes a lot longer than the (first option)automatically fix file system error's?
so what should i do and in what order?
1GB (2 X 512MB) Kingston HyperX (KHX3200AKB/1GR (2-3-2-6)
XFX NVIDIA 7600GT AGP (256MB) (@ 580Mhz Core-1.5Ghz Memory Speeds)
80 GB MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX 9 (8Mb Cache)
WINXP HOME ED -w/Vista Transformation Pack 6
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
Nec ND-1100A DVD/RW Drive
CD Drive
7 in 1 Multimedia Card reader For My SD Digital Camera Pictures
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-03, 05:27 PM   #2
SteveL
70.....degrees

If I was doing it....

Have you ONLY installed your OS or other stuff as well ?
How big is your hard drive ?

If you've only got the OS installed, on a say, 120GB drive and it says it needs defragging ignore it for now.

Do a disk check with NEITHER box checked, if it finishes ok then do a defrag if you think it's really necessary, you shouldn't have to.

Once the defrag has finished check the disk again, STILL with neither box checked, if it finishes ok, then carry on installing the rest of your stuff and worry no more

IF it does find anything wrong, run a command prompt (>start>run>cmd>return) and type 'chkdsk /f' the /f is VERY important, windows will say a disk check has been scheduled for the next re-boot.

Restart your computer, let chkdsk do it's thing and finally check the disk once more when windows has booted. If all ok then you're done.

If not will try to help more....

Hope this helps
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-03, 08:06 PM   #3
cricket

i did the fresh install and the got drivers/updates and other stuff in the computer first..then i did do the defragmentation. i also did the disk check as you said and it all checked out ok.

here is a quote from instructions on reinstalling operating system's "5. Defrag your system drive. During installation, your system drive is going to become somewhat fragmented, especially if you didn't format the system drive. To defragment this drive, open My Computer, right-click the drive (typically C and choose Properties. Navigate to the Tools tab and select Defragment Now.

which can be found:

here

this info about dfraging is on this linked page above at the very bottom and is numbered number 5, well almost towards the bottom of the linked page.
1GB (2 X 512MB) Kingston HyperX (KHX3200AKB/1GR (2-3-2-6)
XFX NVIDIA 7600GT AGP (256MB) (@ 580Mhz Core-1.5Ghz Memory Speeds)
80 GB MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX 9 (8Mb Cache)
WINXP HOME ED -w/Vista Transformation Pack 6
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
Nec ND-1100A DVD/RW Drive
CD Drive
7 in 1 Multimedia Card reader For My SD Digital Camera Pictures

Last edited by cricket; 08-14-03 at 08:11 PM.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote