Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-08, 03:07 PM   #1
DansFace

Default MMORPGs are getting to easy and taking too much time

Dunno I'm missing the days back when I played Everquest where I was scared as hell to die. Death on that game was difficult... you could lose all your items forever.

With wow I could really careless if I die. Just revive at the healer and everythings fine. At first this was great but after awhile it made me feel like there was no threat of danger.

I want a game like everquest but without that huge time sink..
Having trouble getting my idea down here. lol

Anyone understand what i'm getting at?

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 03:29 PM   #2
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Default Re: MMORPGs are getting to easy and taking too much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post
Dunno I'm missing the days back when I played Everquest where I was scared as hell to die. Death on that game was difficult... you could lose all your items forever.
Yeah, I recall some moments of massive adrenaline in that game, but didn't you feel horrible after you lost all your gear?
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 03:37 PM   #3
Mr.Schme

wow, takes a while to level up to the top. although with the new incentives they given people, the buddy-system thing, leveling is pretty damn easy. but aside from that it takes a f*** a** long time to level. its not really that its easy, its just that it takes a long time.

as for items, with arena, items are easy, but with raids its really different. honestly, i think arena screwed the game up.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 06:45 PM   #4
yuriz43

I completely agree. Although there have been some great innovations over years in the genre of MMO's, it seems like everything has been watered down. Even quests are way easier. Now you have yellow question marks on all the NPC's heads, and they pretty much guide you as to where exactly to go. There is no more exploring, no more excitement, and no more thrill.

Hopefully we will see some new MMO's that are completely different from anything we are used to in the coming years.It seems like there is an Ebb & Flow with the quality of PC games. For a while RTS was dead, and now, I think its coming back. ( Starcraft 2, Warhammer 4k 2, RA3 ).Even first person shooters were sucking until recently. ( TF2, COD4)

*Compewtor*Keeeboard*Mice*Mice Pad
*Cofe Jug*Old Bear Can*5x blu LED's
*Bag of chips that I forgot to throw away*Moniter
yuriz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 10:34 PM   #5
Dvahlish

Im finally over wow....it just feels like a 5 yr old could sit down and easily play the game these days (and they probably do) with pretty much all attunements gone, gone are the week long AV's, with all the mods you can get these days its just a joke!
I managed to level a priest from 0-70 in 3 weeks and that was only casual playing.....I remember my first toon taking me at least a couple of months if not more...but thats because I worked everything out for myself and experienced the game. These days its all autopilot.

*sigh*

Im glad to be starting warhammer online....I hope it doesnt go down the same path
Old 08-26-08, 11:08 PM   #6
firehawk

lvling in WoW is just a hassle to get to the real game as far as im concerned.....if you play to just get to 70 then yes. WoW is boring as hell.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 11:32 PM   #7
pRATTICUS
Schnauzerkampfwagen I

Totally agree with the OP. In current MMOs, there is no sense of risk v. reward nor the consequences to senseless acts. You thought about what you did when you were in the plane of Fear :P
Old 08-27-08, 05:35 AM   #8
jolle

Ultima online was pretty unforgiving with death aswell, anyone could loot your entire inventory.
That made it a pretty frightening experience leaving town if you had any items on you.
The causal way death is handled in MMOs now has its pros and cons though, going into PVP is riskless so you can spend alot of time doing that without having to gear up on each death, the way the games are made, essentiall just a big item hunt, you couldnt really have lootable gear on death either.
But its a bit less exciting.

In UO most PKs wore some free bone armor, a res robe, and a poisoned kryss, no investment what so ever, jumped other players from stealth and kept their distance while the poison did its work, which could be pretty frustrating for anyone on their way out to fight mobs with some decent armor and weapons on.

Old 08-27-08, 09:52 AM   #9
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post

With wow I could really careless if I die. Just revive at the healer and everythings fine. At first this was great but after awhile it made me feel like there was no threat of danger.

I want a game like everquest but without that huge time sink..
Having trouble getting my idea down here. lol

Anyone understand what i'm getting at?
It is people who think everquest dumb games like that who piss me off. It is first and foremost a game. I want to have fun. Everquest punished you for playing that crappy game. When gamers realized they could play a MMO and have fun they left that horse**** game.

I hate Everquest and the whole cult that still follows that crappy game. I just want to get into a game for a hour or so, have fun and then leave. That's it. You cannot do that in Everquest. If you die you lost 20 years of killing the same damn rabbit for 20 hours a day just to make level 4. Friking stupid.

It is a game, treat it like one. I like to PVP, screw the raiding or the mindless mob grind. You Everquest geeks can have that garbage.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 10:01 AM   #10
TheANIMAL

Yeah, MMO's are too easy. All of those wow geeks who now don't feel that wasting their time on MMO's is a worthy trade off for having a life/girlfriend/hobby, honestly, if wow geeks dont get a worthy challenge then some of them will start breeding and they'll never die out.

Imagine the horror.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 10:19 AM   #11
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Yeah, MMO's are too easy. All of those wow geeks who now don't feel that wasting their time on MMO's is a worthy trade off for having a life/girlfriend/hobby, honestly, if wow geeks dont get a worthy challenge then some of them will start breeding and they'll never die out.

Imagine the horror.
Really? Really? You really want to say it is better to spend two years leveling up 4 levels and not accomplishing anything other than those 4 levels and that is not just as geeky as WoW players? Do you know how utterly stupid that is? They are both just games. WoW on the other hand is a fun game. They both suck up your time because they are MMOs but the argument you guys are making just so you cling to a game that has passed is mental.

I do not see a difference between WoW geeks and Everquest geeks. They act the same way in the MMO world.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 11:22 AM   #12
Mr.Schme

But you know why MMOs are becoming easier right? THE MONEY! MMO creators want their s*** to hit the mainstream, more money, thats why they make things easier and as for no risk w/ death, just another little detail they added to please a demographic but they hoped that the group of players that actually like that risk, ignore that fact and concentrate on other areas of the game, assuming that those areas are able to balance out the risk v reward aspect.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote