Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-08, 12:29 PM   #13
Badboy_12345

Default Re: MMORPGs are getting to easy and taking too much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
It is people who think everquest dumb games like that who piss me off. It is first and foremost a game. I want to have fun. Everquest punished you for playing that crappy game. When gamers realized they could play a MMO and have fun they left that horse**** game.

I hate Everquest and the whole cult that still follows that crappy game. I just want to get into a game for a hour or so, have fun and then leave. That's it. You cannot do that in Everquest. If you die you lost 20 years of killing the same damn rabbit for 20 hours a day just to make level 4. Friking stupid.

It is a game, treat it like one. I like to PVP, screw the raiding or the mindless mob grind. You Everquest geeks can have that garbage.
QFT! Good post
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 01:25 PM   #14
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schme View Post
But you know why MMOs are becoming easier right? THE MONEY! MMO creators want their s*** to hit the mainstream, more money, thats why they make things easier and as for no risk w/ death, just another little detail they added to please a demographic but they hoped that the group of players that actually like that risk, ignore that fact and concentrate on other areas of the game, assuming that those areas are able to balance out the risk v reward aspect.
ALL games are about money. DUH! You take this stuff way to serious. Do you actually think the creators of Everquest sat down and said "lets make a game for the love of making games that piss people off and punish them for playing it. And just to make things more interesting, lets not make any money off the game. After all we want to be purists and show our love of video game torture" Are you friking high? The reason they got rid of the stupid death penalties is because most people thought it was FUCING STUPID! Only a very tiny minority of people like the high punishment rate in Everquest. Only a tiny few people like games like Everquest where the developers say to the people buying their service "F YOU IM THE DUNGEON MASTER AND YOU WILL PLAY MY ****ING VISION OF THIS HELLHOLE CALLED EVERQUEST"

In EVERY aspect WoW is a better game than Everquest. You guys are pissing and moaning because the vast majority of people do not like punishing games like Everquest. If you like that style of game then good for you, go play it. Just shut your damn pie hole and let us play the games we like in peace. I hate WoW fanboys just as much as I hate you Everquest fanboys. I play these games to hang out with my online buddies on vent.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 02:48 PM   #15
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Ultima online was pretty unforgiving with death aswell, anyone could loot your entire inventory.
That made it a pretty frightening experience leaving town if you had any items on you.
The causal way death is handled in MMOs now has its pros and cons though, going into PVP is riskless so you can spend alot of time doing that without having to gear up on each death, the way the games are made, essentiall just a big item hunt, you couldnt really have lootable gear on death either.
But its a bit less exciting.

In UO most PKs wore some free bone armor, a res robe, and a poisoned kryss, no investment what so ever, jumped other players from stealth and kept their distance while the poison did its work, which could be pretty frustrating for anyone on their way out to fight mobs with some decent armor and weapons on.
This. UO was the most hardcore MMO made until the 2nd expansion. All of them have been "care bear" ever since.

Times have changed though and not many people want to be losing at a game they have worked so long and hard on. It's a game, not a job. It's meant to be fun, not tons of work. WoW is hard enough work as it is, putting in time to get the items/gear/rep to play at the higher levels and be competitive.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 03:08 PM   #16
Mr.Schme

Quote:
ALL games are about money. DUH! You take this stuff way to serious. Do you actually think the creators of Everquest sat down and said "lets make a game for the love of making games that piss people off and punish them for playing it. And just to make things more interesting, lets not make any money off the game. After all we want to be purists and show our love of video game torture" Are you friking high? The reason they got rid of the stupid death penalties is because most people thought it was FUCING STUPID! Only a very tiny minority of people like the high punishment rate in Everquest. Only a tiny few people like games like Everquest where the developers say to the people buying their service "F YOU IM THE DUNGEON MASTER AND YOU WILL PLAY MY ****ING VISION OF THIS HELLHOLE CALLED EVERQUEST"

In EVERY aspect WoW is a better game than Everquest. You guys are pissing and moaning because the vast majority of people do not like punishing games like Everquest. If you like that style of game then good for you, go play it. Just shut your damn pie hole and let us play the games we like in peace. I hate WoW fanboys just as much as I hate you Everquest fanboys. I play these games to hang out with my online buddies on vent.
No f***ing s*** everyone is in it to make money! Games like EQ appealed to a certain type of gamer, too bad that certain type of gamer wasn't a large group of people comparing to the whole group of 'gamers' in general. I was stating that when a game like EQ came out, it was just fun for that group but wasn't appealing at all to other groups of gamers for various reasons. With games like WoW, Blizz made the game for group X, and over the years theyve twinked the game to get groups Y, Z, ... etc thus making the game more mainstream and attracting a wider variety of gamers. By making the game appeal to more, you're going to eventually lose some earlier demographics because the negative changes made out weigh the aspects in which group X liked. Sucks for them, because by making those changes blizz added groups Y, Z, A and B but losing group X. Fair deal to them, they get more money, but they lose the group that they initially targeted.

Btw i didn't even mention a preference of EQ or WoW, i was commenting on MMOs as a whole and why theyre so much easier. l2read.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 03:08 PM   #17
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

If you don't enjoy what you do in your free time then yeah it's wasted time, but if you do enjoy what you are doing then it doesn't matter what other people say about how you spend it. People that look for approval from others on how they live their lives need to actually start living their lives.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 03:16 PM   #18
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schme View Post
No f***ing s*** everyone is in it to make money! Games like EQ appealed to a certain type of gamer, too bad that certain type of gamer wasn't a large group of people comparing to the whole group of 'gamers' in general. I was stating that when a game like EQ came out, it was just fun for that group but wasn't appealing at all to other groups of gamers for various reasons. With games like WoW, Blizz made the game for group X, and over the years theyve twinked the game to get groups Y, Z, ... etc thus making the game more mainstream and attracting a wider variety of gamers. By making the game appeal to more, you're going to eventually lose some earlier demographics because the negative changes made out weigh the aspects in which group X liked. Sucks for them, because by making those changes blizz added groups Y, Z, A and B but losing group X. Fair deal to them, they get more money, but they lose the group that they initially targeted.

Btw i didn't even mention a preference of EQ or WoW, i was commenting on MMOs as a whole and why theyre so much easier. l2read.
I threw in the WoW comments because that is what is being compared. L2comprehend.

I really don't care about what demographics are lost or gain. That is the concern of the developer. Who cares if they lost the Everquest target? It hasn't hurt their bottom line at all.
Old 08-27-08, 03:42 PM   #19
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

EQ - 200k subscribers...
WoW - 10m subscribers...

WoW > EQ

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 04:20 PM   #20
Mr.Schme

Quote:
I threw in the WoW comments because that is what is being compared. L2comprehend.

I really don't care about what demographics are lost or gain. That is the concern of the developer. Who cares if they lost the Everquest target? It hasn't hurt their bottom line at all.

Indeed. I meant aspects of the game that Blizz changed, the ones that brought new people in, but vet gamers away. I guess it was lost in translation :S. But yeah, bottom line, they have more people subscribing that originally, a win for them.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-08, 05:52 PM   #21
TheANIMAL

Quote:
Really? Really? You really want to say it is better to spend two years leveling up 4 levels and not accomplishing anything other than those 4 levels and that is not just as geeky as WoW players? Do you know how utterly stupid that is? They are both just games. WoW on the other hand is a fun game. They both suck up your time because they are MMOs but the argument you guys are making just so you cling to a game that has passed is mental.

I do not see a difference between WoW geeks and Everquest geeks. They act the same way in the MMO world.

The difference is i murder wow geeks. And personally i hate all MMO's.

I can't believe you took me seriously, you prat.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 06:38 PM   #22
DansFace

I'm glad to see that a few people agree with me. I hope we see a much more difficult MMORPGs without the huge time sink.

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 06:40 PM   #23
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
The difference is i murder wow geeks. And personally i hate all MMO's.

I can't believe you took me seriously, you prat.
The internet is serious!
Old 08-27-08, 06:41 PM   #24
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post
I'm glad to see that a few people agree with me. I hope we see a much more difficult MMORPGs without the huge time sink.
LMAO! the more difficult MMOs are a time sink. They invented the time sink.