Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-08, 12:19 PM   #37
CaptnStubing

Default Re: MMORPGs are getting to easy and taking too much time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
Uh...if you really spent that much time in BWL then you know that the brood room consisted mainly of a non-stop grind to the boss, which involved less tanking than healing and mana conservation. You approached it completely differently from any other trash area. It was the first "gauntlet" type area in the game. Did you actually ever finish BWL?
Yes it was different. I said that and yes there was less trash mobs, I said that also. My point is there isn't that much of a difference because you spent about the same amount of time in BWL from start to Nef as you did in MC from start to Rag. They both were huge time sinks and the exact reason I stopped raiding and went to just doing PVP.

We had BWL and Naxx on farm like all large guilds.

Quote:
Again I'd have to ask if you ever actually finished BWL...I cannot honestly conceive of how anyone could prefer MC. Not only was it shorter, but the time spent in the instance was almost 70% boss fights compared to MC's 20-25%. Nefarian alone took almost 20 minutes. Trash pulls are always boring but in MC they constituted the vast majority of the time spent in the instance. I can count on my hands how many pulls there were in BWL, in MC I can't even remember how many there were. The bosses were all tank-and-spank encounters in MC as well while in BWL each fight offered a unique mechanic which improved the quality of all the players in the raid and most importantly was fun to learn. Honestly you'd have to know literally nothing about the game or care absolutely nothing about the strategic element of raiding to prefer MC.
Why is it so hard to conceive? It was just what I liked better.

As I said you spend about the same amount of time in BWL as you did in MC. MC had 10 bosses and BWL had 8. We used to clear MC the do Ony on Mondays. Tuesdays we cleared BWL. We spent about the same amount of time on the two nights.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 12:20 PM   #38
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
MMOs for me are all about the community and player base. If Im soloing 90% of the time then that game isn't for me.
That's a choice you made though...WoW offers tons of ways to join a community and pursue content with a group, in fact that's all there really is to do at endgame. Even during leveling there are numerous instances and PVP options for those that want a more group-based game. You can even partner up with someone and quest that much faster and more easily. There's no reason to solo in WoW if you don't want to. (I know you didn't say WoW specifically, just using it as an example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing
They both were huge time sinks and the exact reason I stopped raiding and went to just doing PVP.
Of course if you have the content on farm for months it's boring. I'm talking about the actual design and the learning process while you're still working your way through. You can characterize anything you do as a "time sink" when it becomes monotonous to you.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 12:21 PM   #39
|MaguS|

Quote:
That's a choice you made though...WoW offers tons of ways to join a community and pursue content with a group, in fact that's all there really is to do at endgame. Even during leveling there are numerous instances and PVP options for those that want a more group-based game. You can even partner up with someone and quest that much faster and more easily. There's no reason to solo in WoW if you don't want to.
Problem is I started wow too late and everyone I know is 30+ levels above me so I never can group with them. There isn't a **** load of newbies anymore in the game and if they are low level usually their alts.

(Reinstalling WoW as I bitch about it, BTW)
Old 08-28-08, 12:34 PM   #40
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Of course if you have the content on farm for months it's boring. I'm talking about the actual design and the learning process while you're still working your way through. You can characterize anything you do as a "time sink" when it becomes monotonous to you.
I have to admit I did like when we finally got Nef down. It was fun. Then I quit.

My only point is you spend about the same amount of time in the two instances. Yes the way you approach the two instances are very different. The bosses in BWL were farm more technical and harder.

I used to throw snowballs at the tank while he was tanking nef. Remember when snowballs used to knock you down if you were in the party? Good times.... goooood times...
Old 08-28-08, 12:36 PM   #41
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Problem is I started wow too late and everyone I know is 30+ levels above me so I never can group with them. There isn't a **** load of newbies anymore in the game and if they are low level usually their alts.

(Reinstalling WoW as I bitch about it, BTW)
I can play almost any MMO because I play these games only with my buddies who hang out on vent. I cannot play these games alone. If all my buddies were playing EQ I would prolly be playing that with them.

So yes if you are alone in any MMO is sucks. And Yes WoW is a much easier game to play solo but the idea of all these games is to be in a social setting in a online world.
Old 08-28-08, 12:40 PM   #42
Tr1cK
not coming back

My problem with MMOs is that I don't have time to dedicate to it like I used to. I play randomly, so everyone I play with winds up out leveling me and the game gets boring while alone.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 12:51 PM   #43
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
My problem with MMOs is that I don't have time to dedicate to it like I used to. I play randomly, so everyone I play with winds up out leveling me and the game gets boring while alone.
My issue aswell...
Old 08-28-08, 02:47 PM   #44
Mr.Schme

yeah, having a job gets in the way of things.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-08, 02:59 PM   #45
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

captn, trying to tell people in t5 to come to pvp so you can crush them is the same as us asking you to raid in S2 and laughing as your dps is ****, or you couldnt tank you way out of a paper bag. ^^

Also wow's pvp is strictly cookie cutter, you strong against some classes and weak against others. If your a priest like me your pretty much weak against all and rely on others to do your dps. Its pretty lame after experiencing the joys of guild wars PvP.

Anyways, if you are going to raid with a sucky guild then your going to get a bad experience. Find a guild whos raid leaders dont mess around.. everyone is ready with their flask at raid time, everyone has a raid spec and no half assed specs so they can pvp in them, full enchants and gems, have researched the next progression boss before the raid, and you will have a great raid experience.
Old 08-28-08, 03:28 PM   #46
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
captn, trying to tell people in t5 to come to pvp so you can crush them is the same as us asking you to raid in S2 and laughing as your dps is ****, or you couldnt tank you way out of a paper bag. ^^
You missed the point. I was saying that I think playing the game for raiding is a waste of time. It wasn't a comparison of abilities.

Quote:
Also wow's pvp is strictly cookie cutter, you strong against some classes and weak against others. If your a priest like me your pretty much weak against all and rely on others to do your dps. Its pretty lame after experiencing the joys of guild wars PvP.
Fine you don't like it. I like playing my shadow priest. Sure I am going to die a lot because everyone can get out of everything I do. That is why we have a group. I do support and DPS.

Quote:
Anyways, if you are going to raid with a sucky guild then your going to get a bad experience. Find a guild whos raid leaders dont mess around.. everyone is ready with their flask at raid time, everyone has a raid spec and no half assed specs so they can pvp in them, full enchants and gems, have researched the next progression boss before the raid, and you will have a great raid experience.
Huh? Who said my guild was sucky? The guild I was in while raiding was one of the tops on that server. We had a blast raiding. As I said we would bring out the snowballs and pummel the tank. We were very lose and easy going. I just didn't like raiding after a year of doing it. I have been in a PVP guild for the last 3 years. We run around and crush people.
Old 08-28-08, 03:47 PM   #47
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schme View Post
yeah, having a job gets in the way of things.
Career + wife = no time to game.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 04:11 PM   #48
Mr.Schme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
Career + wife = no time to game.

yeah man. i just recently started this position but before i had a bunch of free time. I can't imagine trying to fit in raiding schedules with a job, a family, and lets say a hobby (the gym). I have a hard time getting in 1 hour in a day.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote