Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-01-08, 04:03 PM   #1
jcat

Default Bad performance on GeForce 8600M GT with lateset driver and recomended tweaks

Hi,

I'm running Gentoo x86 on a 2.6.25 kernel with nvidia driver version 177.70 and a GeForce 8600M GT (+ Gnome and Compiz Fusion). When I apply all the performance tweaks (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088) for xorg.conf and then use
Code:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1
I experience several things:

Some things like re-sizing gnome terms and using the window switcher are _greatly_ improved.

Some animations like simple Avant Window Navigator dock re-size are _really_ slow, like a 1 second animations takes nearly 20 seconds.

If I revert to
Code:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=1 -a GlyphCache=0
then the situation is reversed (back to the norm). Animations are generally fine, and re-sizing gnome terms is once again very slow.

I notice that when I use
Code:
the thing that seems to be slowing some of the animations down is very high X cpu usage.

I have attached a bug report. I would very much like to see this fixed, so if I can provide any further info or help in any way please let me know

Cheers,
jcat
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (40.8 KB, 107 views)
jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 04:43 PM   #2
goblin85

Default Re: Bad performance on GeForce 8600M GT with lateset driver and recomended tweaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Hi,

I'm running Gentoo x86 on a 2.6.25 kernel with nvidia driver version 177.70 and a GeForce 8600M GT (+ Gnome and Compiz Fusion). When I apply all the performance tweaks (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088) for xorg.conf and then use
Code:
I experience several things:

Some things like re-sizing gnome terms and using the window switcher are _greatly_ improved.

Some animations like simple Avant Window Navigator dock re-size are _really_ slow, like a 1 second animations takes nearly 20 seconds.

If I revert to
Code:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=1 -a GlyphCache=0
then the situation is reversed (back to the norm). Animations are generally fine, and re-sizing gnome terms is once again very slow.

I notice that when I use
Code:
the thing that seems to be slowing some of the animations down is very high X cpu usage.

I have attached a bug report. I would very much like to see this fixed, so if I can provide any further info or help in any way please let me know

Cheers,
jcat
Hi, i use nvidia drivers 177.70 with nvidia geforce 8600m gt.
I use all hacks and i see that 2d goes well but compiz (3d) is bad now.
goblin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 05:20 PM   #3
kernelOfTruth
Gentoo Linux addict

Default Re: Bad performance on GeForce 8600M GT with lateset driver and recomended tweaks

seems like nvidia will have to create drivers for each card separately

with my 8400M GS I get pretty high load on X when gif animations are displayed (in that case konqueror, e.g. with compiz / 3D-desktop enabled is THAT laggy that I can't even type text in correctly)

if I compare behavior of awn now I can say that it probably got slower than with 177.68

3D isn't really bad for me but the biggest culprit for much people seems to be that it (the drivers), compiz or another things leaks loads of memory or whatever -> the result is that it gets slower and slower over time

all in all behavior improved in certain loads but also got worse (compare with jcat's experience), so it's not really satisfying

there's also kind of a refresh-problem in konqueror during input of text & scrolling (this already got posted): the window needs to be repositioned (best way to "fix" / reproduce) for the text to be displayed correctly again

note: by mentioning konqueror and all the other kde-apps I'm talking about kde4-stuff
Ubuntu Jaunty/9.04 x86_64 Dell XPS M1330
kernelOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 06:10 PM   #4
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
seems like nvidia will have to create drivers for each card separately

with my 8400M GS I get pretty high load on X when gif animations are displayed (in that case konqueror, e.g. with compiz / 3D-desktop enabled is THAT laggy that I can't even type text in correctly)

if I compare behavior of awn now I can say that it probably got slower than with 177.68

3D isn't really bad for me but the biggest culprit for much people seems to be that it (the drivers), compiz or another things leaks loads of memory or whatever -> the result is that it gets slower and slower over time

all in all behavior improved in certain loads but also got worse (compare with jcat's experience), so it's not really satisfying

there's also kind of a refresh-problem in konqueror during input of text & scrolling (this already got posted): the window needs to be repositioned (best way to "fix" / reproduce) for the text to be displayed correctly again

note: by mentioning konqueror and all the other kde-apps I'm talking about kde4-stuff
I wonder how the fact that your gpu does not have a lot of dedicated memory affects ipp?

In regard to konq gifs... they have been slow since forever however they haven't been sucking a lot of cpu time.

In my case everything is faster than all the preceding drivers. There are others that say gtk and firefox have become slower than *.68 . I have same gpu as OP.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 03:22 PM   #5
jcat

Hi Mods/Devs

I added a bug report. Are you going to take a look?

Cheers,
jcat
Old 09-07-08, 11:16 AM   #6
jcat

Hi,

I have just upgraded xorg-server to 1.5, and compiz based Gnome Term resize and Alt+Tab animation is suddenly much less laggy with IPP set to 1!

Seems like xorg server 1.5 somehow fixes the slowness doing those specific animations. I've attached a bug report from this system in case the Devs are interested...

Cheers,
jcat
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (39.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 09-08-08, 07:29 AM   #7
spectred

interesting. for me in kde4:

IPP2:
Bad scrolling in konqueror and dolphin
Relatively fast plasma

IPP1:
Smooth scrolling
Horrible slow plasma
spectred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 02:45 PM   #8
goblin85

Nvidia help us!

Help ours mobile cards!
goblin85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-08, 10:22 AM   #9
sangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
This issue happens in mGPU nvidia 8300, nvidia driver 177.70, compiz and firefox 3.0.1, too.

Last edited by sangu; 04-22-11 at 09:14 PM.
sangu is offline   Reply With Quote