Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-03, 03:15 PM   #1
HammeredFish

Send a message via AIM to HammeredFish
Question Installing Redhat 9 with nvidia

I want to install redhat 9 on my Dell Dimension 2300. However, when I run setup the Graphical Anaconda doesn't work. I have a motherboard with an integrated intel 845 video card. I dont use the intel 845 because I installed a Verto nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (PCI card not AGP). Also I am running dual monitors on the nvidia card. How do I get the graphical installer to work? I even tried installing linux with the text installer. When I was done it asked me what video card I was using and I picked the nvidia geforce but xwindows would not work when I rebooted. Keep in mind I am a newbie and I really dont know what I am doing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
HammeredFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 09:14 PM   #2
HammeredFish

Please ignore this post. It took me 8 straight hours to figure it out but I finally did. I want to appologize for myself and newbies like me for cluttering up the forum.
Old 08-16-03, 04:39 PM   #3
RedSun

Default I Have the exact same situation

Could you please post details of what worked for you?
RedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 07:35 PM   #4
HammeredFish

Well I am no expert on the subject. There has to be some way to get the graphical installer to work. However, I never figured that out. What I had to do was install Redhat 9 with the text installer. The install went pretty smoothly. At the end of the install it asks some questions to setup X Windows. One of the questions is what Video card you have. I believe I chose Geforce FX(generic) not positive. This might work for you. It didn't work for me. I ended up having to take out my nvidia card and plug one of my monitors into the integrated video card. This allowed me to get X windows up and running. This I went to display settings and again chose Geforce FX(generic) as my video card. I shutdown my system, reinstalled the nvidia card, and rebooted. It worked. However, dual monitors didn't. I had to go to the nvidia website and download the latest driver for my video card. Then I activated Twinview. If you get one monitor to work email me and I will tell you how to install driver and activate twinview. Email me at StangPride98@cfl.rr.com. Good luck.