Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-08, 12:48 PM   #13
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Best BR dvd rom?

I had never found BD that looked better then HD-DVD so far, but i did find HD-DVDs that looked better then BD.

When a movie was released on HD-DVD first then they release BD later, right now they are re-using the same VC1 video stream. Also I noticed more and more BD movies are single layer with VC1 stream. Probably lower cost then Dual Layer.

In past when new movies where released on BD and HD-DVD at the same time. For some stupid reason they would use MPEG2 stream on BD and VC1 on HD-DVD.

MPEG2 steams require a lot higher bitrate and take up a lot more space, smaller VC1 files often either look about the same, or better.
Old 09-05-08, 12:59 PM   #14
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
I had never found BD that looked better then HD-DVD so far, but i did find HD-DVDs that looked better then BD.
Which ones?

Quote:
In past when new movies where released on BD and HD-DVD at the same time. For some stupid reason they would use MPEG2 stream on BD and VC1 on HD-DVD.

MPEG2 steams require a lot higher bitrate and take up a lot more space, smaller VC1 files often either look about the same, or better.
What do you think of Mpeg4 vs VC-1?
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 01:06 PM   #15
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:

When a movie was released on HD-DVD first then they release BD later, right now they are re-using the same VC1 video stream. Also I noticed more and more BD movies are single layer with VC1 stream. Probably lower cost then Dual Layer.

While this is true one of the best BD's (quality-wise) I've seen to date is Black Hawk Down and it was done w/MPEG-2. At the end of the day it's all about good mastering regardless of what codec is used, however having an actual codec standard in BD would make life 20x easier, IMHO. But no such luck hehe. One thing I hate are the seamless BD's, backing up my BD copy of Waiting was such a pain thankgod for apps like BDEdit & eac3to-and-more-GUI, seamless BD backup would be so hard without them.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 02:34 AM   #16
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Both pretty much the same really. VC-1 was more popular due to the fact it could be used on both HD-DVD and BD.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 07:22 AM   #17
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

You can get the LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD combo drive for $139.99 with free shipping at Newegg. Enter promo code EMCAKAFAE for an additional $15 off.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 03:21 PM   #18
bacon12

Thanks mate.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 07:23 PM   #19
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Both pretty much the same really. VC-1 was more popular due to the fact it could be used on both HD-DVD and BD.
all 3 codecs could have been used on both formats.

MPEG2 is the worst because it requires the highest bitrate.