Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-08, 08:43 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Consoles Are A Step Backward Says Oddworld Creator

SAN JOSE, CA--Acclaimed video game creator Lorne Lanning has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to his creations. The co-founder of Oddworld Inhabitants is working on a next generation Oddworld game, as well as some other interactive products. He's also going to direct Citizen Siege, a CGI movie produced by John H. Williams (Shrek) that will also spawn a game. But that project is currently in "development hell." Lanning recently took the stage at Nvidia's NVISION 08 conference to discuss the advances of digital art and the use of video game engine technology for film creation. Afterwards, he sat down with GameDaily BIZ for this exclusive interview on the state of gaming today.

GameDaily BIZ: What are your thoughts on where gaming is headed?

Lorne Lanning: Personally, I think the consoles are a problem. Years ago I was excited about consoles, but anything that makes development more expensive, rather than better, faster, cheaper, I think is a step backwards. When I look at what's happening, it's a bit disappointing because the consoles are running into a place where affordable games are having a rough time getting out there.

BIZ: What about the PC gaming business?

LL: The other thing happening on the other end of the spectrum is communities -- connected gaming. Personally, I'm more excited about what I see happening on PC because I see it allowing for more smaller games to be sold that can be delivered to anyone who's connected at much lower price points. PC games also allow people to build their game as they chose. There's a big difference between spending $50 or $60 on a game and hoping I love it and buying a game for $5 and then buying additional content for that game, so by the time I have invested $50 in it I really love it and I've personalized it a lot more to what I'm interested in. And I'm sharing this experience with a global, connected audience.

BIZ: So Electronic Arts' release of the Spore Creature Creator is a step in the right direction?

LL: Yes, smaller and growth-oriented communities is where I see things going. Look at Spore and the Creature Creator. The Sporepedia already had more species registered in a few weeks than exist on the planet Earth today. That's what happens when people get excited about what other people are creating and what user-generation content can do. Of course, no one knows that better than The Sims. People are more engaged when they can personalize and control what they're doing.

BIZ: As a game designer, how do you see your role evolving with this shift to user-created content in games like Spore and LittleBigPlanet?

LL: I think what we're talking about with user-generated content is if we're putting the power in the gamers' hands, then it really depends on the power of the tools that we're giving them. Some designers are shifting more away from a narrative to create a play box where you can create your own narrative. Gamers are not only interfacing with the game, but with the tools designers are providing to build the game experience. In the past, the focus might have been on what experience am I delivering to gamers. Now I have to focus on what power am I giving them to deliver their experience. I think the design task is equal in many respects, but the idea of flipping it to more controls to the audience is pretty radical and this is a pretty major shift. I think it's very positive.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/fe...ddworld/?biz=1
Old 09-05-08, 10:39 PM   #2
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: Consoles Are A Step Backward Says Oddworld Creator

While I definitely agree that user-made content and "sand box" style gameplay is a good thing, I really hope it doesn't become a major part of every game genre. One of my favorite parts of games is a well written story. If that eventually disappears and is replaced by "unlimited possibilities" in every game, it'll be a huge loss IMO...
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 10:46 PM   #3
sahilmalhotra17

I'll second that... though I love games which have larger possibilities... I do love a well written story...even if it linearizes gameplay a bit....which is why I loved assasins creed so much....
sahilmalhotra17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 11:00 PM   #4
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
While I definitely agree that user-made content and "sand box" style gameplay is a good thing, I really hope it doesn't become a major part of every game genre. One of my favorite parts of games is a well written story. If that eventually disappears and is replaced by "unlimited possibilities" in every game, it'll be a huge loss IMO...
Yea, I have a feeling in order to cut costs we'll see more games where they didn't even make a plot, it's all up to the users to make the game. I like to be able to tweak my games to my style, but if I have to spend hours making stuff for me to do, they should be paying me instead of the other way around.

The other thing with user generated content is it can be a pain to find the stuff that is good. UT comes to mind when I've created servers. I'll download 100 mods and maps, and have to sort through them to find useful content.

Also, I'm not sure if I like the idea of buying a $5 game and then being nickeled and dimed to death.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 11:24 PM   #5
sahilmalhotra17

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if I like the idea of buying a $5 game and then being nickeled and dimed to death...
The game manufacturers love it of course....
sahilmalhotra17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 02:19 AM   #6
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

These days it's easy to be an attention wh0re. Simply mention something about consoles vs PC. Works for Epic. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 09:07 AM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Whether I agree with his ideas of game design and pricing or not, I see nothing here that is really PC vs. console. The experiences he describes as PC-only are actually already available on consoles, or easily could be.

Even the "indie" factor is alive on consoles... see Braid or Everyday Shooter.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 09:23 AM   #8
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Whether I agree with his ideas of game design and pricing or not, I see nothing here that is really PC vs. console. The experiences he describes as PC-only are actually already available on consoles, or easily could be.

Even the "indie" factor is alive on consoles... see Braid or Everyday Shooter.
Almost make a big difference