Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-08, 02:18 PM   #37
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Warhammer is a huge disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
LOL, are you serious?. LOTRO is very far from failing, the game has a very strong player base, on my server there is always tons of people online, and Mines of Moria expansion is going to be something huge, epic. This game is already a success, very far from WoW of course, but isn't going to die soon.
One of the easiest ways to see if an mmo is successful is to see if they are adding servers due to an increasing player base. I just scanned LotR's announcement boards and saw no such announcements.

Magus, start on the newest server, youll find many people leveling up just as you are.

Slybri, its funny you say that. Most WoW players said the same thing about wow compared to eq. And WoW didn't need or have uber guilds for quite some time while people were leveling up. So, gg!
Old 09-09-08, 03:00 PM   #38
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
I didn't talk you into anything. I told you my honest opinion of AoC at that time. Little did I know the content ran out at lvl 50. I have fun with it for two months then it went into the garbage.

This game is more fun than AoC but I would wait if you are on the fence. If the content runs out again I will be pissed and won't be playing any MMOs ever again.
This game has something that AoC doesn't.....a PvP system.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 03:39 PM   #39
Mr.Schme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybri View Post
Warhammer has been okay so far. The biggest improvement they've made over WOW is making it more solo friendly. You don't need to be in an uber-guild to do a public quest or find an open group to join. It's the whole "alone together" idea of playing a solo game surrounded by thousands of other players. You just do your own thing and kinda fall into group play. I'm only level 7, but I haven't come across any Raid instances that require 40 organized players and a week of preparation in order to see game content and rewards. You can play WAR as a game, not a job. Maybe that's not for some people, but personally I love it.

The game could use some more polish, and the beta is full of bugs. But I like it so far. I'll give it a go, but I don't wanna throw away 2 years of my life like I did with WOW.

I've been playing WAR and SPORE this week, and I've been having more fun with SPORE.
Leveling in Wow has never been easier. A patch a while back made you gain 15% more exp from kills, quests, and made each level req for a good chunks of levels 15% less. Along with the buddy system they set up (300% exp from kills, quests? and you get 1 level for every 3 your friend gets) I bet leveling will be cake. I bet if you played enough in a week and i'm not saying 24/7, you can get to 60. As for a job, you make it a job, or you make it a game, that's how i've see it.
Mr.Schme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 04:26 PM   #40
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
One of the easiest ways to see if an mmo is successful is to see if they are adding servers due to an increasing player base. I just scanned LotR's announcement boards and saw no such announcements.
And one of the easiest ways to see if an mmo is not succesful is to see if they are removing servers due to a decreasing player base. And after one and a half years they are all there, full of people at every time you connect
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 10:12 PM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schme View Post
Leveling in Wow has never been easier. A patch a while back made you gain 15% more exp from kills, quests, and made each level req for a good chunks of levels 15% less. Along with the buddy system they set up (300% exp from kills, quests? and you get 1 level for every 3 your friend gets) I bet leveling will be cake. I bet if you played enough in a week and i'm not saying 24/7, you can get to 60. As for a job, you make it a job, or you make it a game, that's how i've see it.
I work full time and have a fairly busy schedule on nights and weekends, and I've leveled a pally to 64 (close to 65 now!) in the past three weeks with all professions almost maxed (save fishing...taking that one slowly). Leveling is not hard nor does it take long in WoW. I don't know about a week to 60 though, you'd pretty much have to play all week long taking time only to eat, sleep, and ****.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 10:35 PM   #42
Sgt_Pitt

I'm not even going to bother telling you how deep EQ2 is, because your all so obsessed with that POS kiddie game called WoW.

Anyway WAR is ok, but after being in beta for a few months all i can say is it doesnt have the depth of EQ2.

The only good things about WAR are the Public Quests and RVR, most of the quests are as shallow as WoW, i.e kill 10 rats.
Old 09-09-08, 11:33 PM   #43
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I've allways liked the eq1 world...I mean it could be because it was my first mmo and so things grew on to me (Never forget my first noob dungion, black borrow, my first non-home city I traveled to..ect), and playing the end game, the gods allways interested me..why are they here and why are we killing them.. who is quarm..ect. And this was a game were quest pretty much sucked, you only did them to get items you knew about before you started the quest.

I don't doubt eq2 has more of the same story wise (Dude... lucan is an exploded fireball in the sky.. how fn awesome is that?), but its engine is too stiff and non organic, its gameplay is more old then new, and because of this the game didn't get a good large player base from the start resulting in the cut down live team it has now and thus, very little in the way of new material updates.
Old 09-09-08, 11:56 PM   #44
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

WAR rocks and will do well.

If it's not your thing or you are a WoW/EQ2/etc. fan why get all upset over it? Live and let live!!

I will go and enjoy WAR in your place

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3

Last edited by Xav; 09-10-08 at 12:28 AM. Reason: wording/punctuation
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-08, 01:07 AM   #45
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
WAR rocks and will do well.

If it's not your thing or you are a WoW/EQ2/etc. fan why get all upset over it? Live and let live!!

I will go and enjoy WAR in your place
WoW and EQ2 are different types of MMOs. Warhammer is more like WoW and Vanguard is exactly like EQ2 only slightly worse.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 03:46 AM   #46
Badboy_12345

War = wow on drugs

This is the best mmorpg I have played to date.

The pqs, the pvp everything is so well done
And the magus, I freaking love that class

Im always first or second in pqs

Minion + auto attack ftw
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:20 AM   #47
Tr1cK
not coming back

Black Orcs are just hilariously bad ass. Guess what I rolled?
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 08:47 AM   #48
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
WoW and EQ2 are different types of MMOs. Warhammer is more like WoW and Vanguard is exactly like EQ2 only slightly worse.

You are completely right about them being different types of MMOs and I don't think some people really understand that. The MMO landscape is diversifying and you can't just assume anymore and say "hey..I played EQ and WoW so lemme try this new WAR game cause it's got elves and dwarves too and therefore has to be just like those games".

WAR is not trying to compete with EQ2 for depth...heck Mark Jacobs even said they aren't trying to compete with WoW! Different types of games. WAR is about team pvp (or RvR as they call it) with some PvE thrown in for good measure. WAR has 40 PvE levels and 80 RvR levels...that says it all. You can level up to max on both (40/80) strictly doing pvp only.

If you are looking for some team based orc/elf/dwarf/human pvp with big swords, castle sieges and magic then this might be your game.

If you are looking for the next social, the next LOTR, the next EQ? Prolly gonna want to look somewhere else cause that is not what Mythic is advertising or trying to sell here.

As far as the license and people not knowing what warhammer is? It's no more obscure than warcraft was when WoW came out...funny considering warcraft was originally going to be a warhammer licensed game until games workshop told blizzard "no". I've seen WH titles on the shelf for years and while I've not played one..I knew exactly what it was.

All it takes is one title to take a franchise into the mainstream. See WoW for example.

OK..soapbox off!

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote