Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-08, 02:39 AM   #1
swagger01

Default Weird NVIDIA Settings Compiz Problem

Hi All,

I have this rather unusual problem with NVIDIA X Server Settings and Compiz .. if I open up the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility it changes the performance of Compiz rather weirdly .. after I open up the settings utillity the Compiz cube spins a LOT more fluidly and smoothly (its quite incredible how smooth it is) BUT the wobbly windows move slightly jerkily .. If I don't open the settings utility then the cube spins still smooth BUT moving a wobbly window is VERY fluid and nice.

Also whats with the screen going black whenever I open up the NVIDIA X Server Settings ?? Its kinda scary you think you have stuffed up your computer there for a second ..

And another thing while im at it .. when are we going to get a more user-freindly driver installer ?? .. stopping GDM, deleting your xorg.conf file, going to a black screen terminal is quite daunting. We really need a installer like the Windows installer.

EDIT: I have a 8800GS running ubuntu 8.04 with the 177.70 drivers.
swagger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 04:37 AM   #2
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: Weird NVIDIA Settings Compiz Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger01 View Post
Hi All,

I have this rather unusual problem with NVIDIA X Server Settings and Compiz .. if I open up the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility it changes the performance of Compiz rather weirdly .. after I open up the settings utillity the Compiz cube spins a LOT more fluidly and smoothly (its quite incredible how smooth it is) BUT the wobbly windows move slightly jerkily .. If I don't open the settings utility then the cube spins still smooth BUT moving a wobbly window is VERY fluid and nice.
if this is reproducible with nvidia-settings -q all then this is powermizer.

Quote:
Also whats with the screen going black whenever I open up the NVIDIA X Server Settings ?? Its kinda scary you think you have stuffed up your computer there for a second ..
Create a nvidia bug report afterwards please

Quote:
And another thing while im at it .. when are we going to get a more user-freindly driver installer ?? .. stopping GDM, deleting your xorg.conf file, going to a black screen terminal is quite daunting. We really need a installer like the Windows installer.
This is the problem of the distributions, which is, in my opinion, solved well by some (ubuntu as an example) and not so well by others.

Not nvidia to blame, creating a unified installer for a X11 driver for all distributions is nearly impossible.
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 09:44 AM   #3
swagger01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
if this is reproducible with nvidia-settings -q all then this is powermizer.
Sorry not too sure what that means ... I restarted my computer and gave the nvidia-settings -q all command in the terminal and it didn't do anything .. if its possible I would like to have both smooth compiz cube spinning and smooth window moving.

So should I disable powermizer ??
swagger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 10:05 AM   #4
Thunderbird

It is related to powermizer. What happens when you start nvidia-settings is that it initializes opengl and enabling 3d increases the clocks. You might wonder why nvidia-settings needs opengl but it uses it for the opengl information page (the one which contains info similar to glxinfo). Just running glxinfo will result in the same behavior.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote