Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-08, 07:18 AM   #1
phelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default (EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed. etc with 7300GS

I have an HTPC which was working perfectly until last Saturday, when all the sudden while watching TV the picture froze. I tried to login with ssh to the PC but it didn't respond so I just rebooted the whole PC. But now, the picture froze when X was starting, before the desktop had even loaded properly. I checked with top and saw that xorg was taking 100% of cpu. In the /var/log/Xorg.0.log I saw the following entries:

Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA X driver has encountered too many errors.  Falling
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     back to write-back cached memory.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
...
Now I am totally unable to start X, since that same thing happens every time. I had not made any changes to the system in several weeks before this happened, so I am wondering whether this could mean that some piece of the hardware has broken down?

Update: Tried with the nv driver and managed to start. But in 3 minutes the picture froze again and xorg was taking 100% of cpu. Any hint of what's going on would be highly appreciated.
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 02:19 PM   #2
memeyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 74
Default Re: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed. etc with 7300GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelin View Post
I had not made any changes to the system in several weeks before this happened, so I am wondering whether this could mean that some piece of the hardware has broken down?
This is most likely the case. I've had this error from a junk PSU but it could be something else for you. I'd try a reinstall or livecd or other alternative before replacing hardware, though.
memeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 05:20 AM   #3
phelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default Re: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed. etc with 7300GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by memeyou View Post
This is most likely the case. I've had this error from a junk PSU but it could be something else for you. I'd try a reinstall or livecd or other alternative before replacing hardware, though.
Tried with a livecd and ended up with the same result. Now I need to know which piece of hardware could be the culprit. I am guessing that it is either the motherboard (Asrock 775Dual-VSTA, 19 months old), the PSU (Antec Neo HE 430, 22 months) or the GPU (MSI NX7300GS-MD256EH, 15 months). In my opinion the PSU is the least probable, but perhaps someone knows better? Any way to test without changing the hardware (don't have any spare parts at the moment)?
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 08:16 AM   #4
memeyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 74
Default Re: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed. etc with 7300GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelin View Post
Tried with a livecd and ended up with the same result. Now I need to know which piece of hardware could be the culprit. I am guessing that it is either the motherboard (Asrock 775Dual-VSTA, 19 months old), the PSU (Antec Neo HE 430, 22 months) or the GPU (MSI NX7300GS-MD256EH, 15 months). In my opinion the PSU is the least probable, but perhaps someone knows better? Any way to test without changing the hardware (don't have any spare parts at the moment)?
check the psu reviews on newegg - quiet a few of them die over time. it's also a very old product - more like 36 months.
memeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:53 AM   #5
phelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default Re: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed. etc with 7300GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by memeyou View Post
check the psu reviews on newegg - quiet a few of them die over time. it's also a very old product - more like 36 months.
Well, I went and bought a new G35 motherboard with integrated graphics. Haven't yet tried with the old nvidia gpu, but with integrated gpu everything works without a glitch. I will try to arrange time to test the nvidia card to see if it works with this motherboard.
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 06:21 PM   #6
phelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default Re: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed. etc with 7300GS

A small update on this matter. I tested the 7300GS with a new motherboard (Asus P5E-V HDMI) and it worked perfectly. So, the culprit seams to have been the old motherboard.
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
320.17 can't detect video modes on Lenovo laptop tadawson NVIDIA Linux 13 07-14-12 02:40 AM
Regression with 295.33 and GeForce GT 240 maro NVIDIA Linux 16 06-29-12 07:47 PM
Dell Precision M6500 - Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M - Unusable with Gnome3 geaaru NVIDIA Linux 16 06-25-12 08:07 AM
Error messages... HELP!!!! Imperito NVIDIA Linux 3 09-24-02 11:46 PM
nVidia drivers + Red Hat Linux 7.3 Error404 NVIDIA Linux 17 08-16-02 12:34 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.