Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-08, 10:54 PM   #13
Lfctony

Default Re: UT3 runs worse with 'Enable SLI Technology'

CPU limited games run slower with SLI enabled(the CPU takes a hit because it synchronizes SLI). UT3 is most likely one of those cases... I'm just guessing here, I don't have UT3 installed. You have seen this yourself though, decreasing the CPU caused the speed to drop even more, which indicates a CPU limitation...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 12:28 AM   #14
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Hmm.... something I've noticed, after re-installing 177.92 recently, the problem seemed to go away (I could get 60fps constant with SLI enabled but Single GPU in UT3 app options, and World Detail at 4). However, this only seemed to last for about a day, then it was back to the way it was, with fps quite easily dropping below 60fps on World Detail 4. I had changed nothing at all, it went back bad by itself. So... something must be causing it...

I can do a simple controlled test to determine fps, what I do is go to the Deimos map, go where the Shock rifle pickup is, and look towards the center of the map and fire the link gun. When it's bad, fps will dip to 50-58fps when firing the Link gun and it will appear very unsmooth (I'm running Vsync). However, when the problem had rectified itself for a short while after installing 177.92, I would get constant 60fps. Decreasing World Detail to 2 however makes me get constant 60fps regardless, but it is incredibly stupid that I even have to contemplate running at that setting considering the $$ I've spent on my hardware.

With my 8800GTX and CPU at 2.8GHz before I upgraded, I could run at World Detail 5 without problem (60fps). If I try to do that right now, fps will dip to as low as 35fps in action.

The thing is.. UT3 DOES scale if I force AA and use Nvidia Recommended SLI setting (or force AFR2), however I do not want to run SLI in UT3 as the game's responsiveness is worse than with Single GPU (if I was playing offline I wouldn't notice it, but online my score is worse with SLI every time, and I can 'feel' it isnt as good). In contrast, playing Crysis single player with SLI enabled is great, because it's a slower paced game and super-duper reflexes aren't really required. The lower responsiveness may just be a UT3 thing anyway, I can't really notice it in any other game, but to be fair, UT3 DM is much faster paced than other recent games.

As for microstuttering, I have only noticed it when I enable AFR2 and UT3 is running at low settings (ie. World Detail at 2), then it will stutter. However if I give the GPUs enough work to do, it will not stutter. Haven't noticed the microstutter on any other games either.

Regarding SLI causing CPU limitation, from what I can tell from increasing and decreasing CPU speed with SLI enabled, I would need over 4GHz to get anything close to my 8800GTX and 2.8GHz fps at the same settings, as even 3.8GHz (PC obviously wasnt stable at that speed, but I still tried it), fps still dipped below 60fps very often at World Detail 4.

It just sucks to think that I could play with World Detail 5 perfectly on my 8800GTX, yet I'm having to use World Detail 2 with my current setup to get the same fps. World Detail 2 makes certain maps look very bland (ie. Deck)
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 09:18 AM   #15
H3llF1re2008

Lightbulb Re: UT3 runs worse with 'Enable SLI Technology'

Hey Deadly, cheers for the reply. I've been doing a lot of messing around with this, and I think I've found something that makes a difference. For me, doing this provides a fairly massive boost in FPS and actually makes the game playable at 5-5 detail levs (it's still not constant 60FPS as it it really should be with this sort of set up, but it fluctuates less and tends to stick around the 60FPS mark more reliably - it also feels a lot smoother to play). Here goes:

1) run UT3 as administrator (I don't think this helps, as such, but I tend to run everything in Vista as an admin, so if you want to duplicate what I'm doing "to the letter" then I recommend doing the same)
2) launch the game, full screen mode, and alt-enter it when you get to the menu to go to windowed mode
3) do a ctrl-shift-esc to pull up task mangler, and click the processes tab
4) click "show processes from all users" to make sure you have admin privs, and find "UT3.exe"
5) Right-click it - Set Priority - click "Realtime"
6) Click "Change priority" to confirm, close task manager and alt-enter back into UT full screen
7) fire up a game and see if it's any better. I was able to go to a spot in Shangra La (bridge outside) where I was previously getting 40FPS - now hovers around 60.

Now obviously this isn't a "fix", and I don't know if it's even recommended to run this game in Realtime mode (it probably isn't, TBH), but I've played for about 30 mins with it and didn't notice anything unusual (except obviously a more acceptable frame rate! ;-))

Give this a shot if you can. I'd be real interested to know if it makes the game any more playable for you as well.

Cheers,

H3.
H3llF1re2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 11:17 AM   #16
hell_of_doom227

UT3 runs fine here.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 07:08 PM   #17
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llF1re2008 View Post
Hey Deadly, cheers for the reply. I've been doing a lot of messing around with this, and I think I've found something that makes a difference. For me, doing this provides a fairly massive boost in FPS and actually makes the game playable at 5-5 detail levs (it's still not constant 60FPS as it it really should be with this sort of set up, but it fluctuates less and tends to stick around the 60FPS mark more reliably - it also feels a lot smoother to play). Here goes:

1) run UT3 as administrator (I don't think this helps, as such, but I tend to run everything in Vista as an admin, so if you want to duplicate what I'm doing "to the letter" then I recommend doing the same)
2) launch the game, full screen mode, and alt-enter it when you get to the menu to go to windowed mode
3) do a ctrl-shift-esc to pull up task mangler, and click the processes tab
4) click "show processes from all users" to make sure you have admin privs, and find "UT3.exe"
5) Right-click it - Set Priority - click "Realtime"
6) Click "Change priority" to confirm, close task manager and alt-enter back into UT full screen
7) fire up a game and see if it's any better. I was able to go to a spot in Shangra La (bridge outside) where I was previously getting 40FPS - now hovers around 60.

Now obviously this isn't a "fix", and I don't know if it's even recommended to run this game in Realtime mode (it probably isn't, TBH), but I've played for about 30 mins with it and didn't notice anything unusual (except obviously a more acceptable frame rate! ;-))

Give this a shot if you can. I'd be real interested to know if it makes the game any more playable for you as well.

Cheers,

H3.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that didn't help my fps at all with World Detail at 4, exactly the same as with not changing the priority

Hmm looks like I'm have to stick with World Detail 2
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 08:47 PM   #18
JoJomomo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
UT3 runs fine here.

Well of course it does, I mean after all according to you Nforce chipsets are better than intel chipsets and SLI'd 280's are a better bang for the buck than a HD 4870X2
JoJomomo is offline   Reply With Quote