Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-08, 04:27 PM   #1
pawels133

Angry Re: Performance issues and commercial development (offtopic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
Do you mean that NVIDIA doesn't care about their customers? Allow me to laugh.

Of course they care.

Stop, please. I almost fell from my chair We were waiting more than half a year and they didn't fixed performance problems...
Old 09-17-08, 04:43 PM   #2
Fackamato
User

Default Re: Performance issues and commercial development

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
Stop, please. I almost fell from my chair We were waiting more than half a year and they didn't fixed performance problems...
They only have so many people working on the Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and Windows drivers. What do you think gets priority? Windows, that's where the money is.

NVIDIA is doing you a favour, when it provides you with Linux drivers. Really, that's how I see it.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 05:08 PM   #3
pawels133

Quote:
They only have so many people working on the Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and Windows drivers. What do you think gets priority? Windows, that's where the money is.
That's why their support is not so good

Quote:
NVIDIA is doing you a favour, when it provides you with Linux drivers. Really, that's how I see it.
They're doing a favour macos users too in my opinion. If they stop I just say good bye nvidia. Uh, I already said that and I won't buy their card in the future. Linux market share is rising fast, so in future (or even now) such firms have to treat it serious.
Old 09-17-08, 05:11 PM   #4
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133
Uh, I already said that and I won't buy their card in the future.
Then please stop hijacking multiple threads and keep this one clean for support.

TIA

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 05:40 PM   #5
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
Then please stop hijacking multiple threads and keep this one clean for support.

TIA

Fuchs
You and other nvidia fanboys did the same.
Old 09-17-08, 06:03 PM   #6
Fackamato
User

Quote:
That's why their support is not so good

They're doing a favour macos users too in my opinion. If they stop I just say good bye nvidia. Uh, I already said that and I won't buy their card in the future. Linux market share is rising fast, so in future (or even now) such firms have to treat it serious.
No, MacOS costs money, Linux doesn't. Should be something there.

"Linux market share" isn't rising fast, if at all. Unless it's got more than 5% of the average user's market (parents and grandparents) I don't see why NVIDIA would put more effort into the binary blob.
Old 09-18-08, 02:57 AM   #7
Kirurgs

Default Re: Performance issues and commercial development (offtopic)

Hey...
This all is pretty straightforward and easy, please all who complain and are whining nVidia does not care, read this until You understand:
do You see anything on the product box, web site, anywhere that says - supports linux? If not, please feel free to shut up!
nVidia is not required, obligated or so to support linux at all. Read - NOT AT ALL.
And then take this: if they aren't supporting linux officially and meanwhile they make drivers for linux, take bug reports, fix problems they don't have to, what do You call this? Not caring about customers? Hey, You must be sick then...

So this far we understood that this is their free will to care about linux at all...

The other questions are, how other hw companies do compared to nVidia, what is actual outcome of trying to help linux community and so on. But heck, this is not about not helping linux users, guys!

Personally me, I'm not very happy about their drivers, but they work acceptable for me, there are problems but nVidia is working on them. Of course it's not like plug-in and it works (sometimes it is ).
Please take what nVidia provides, make bug reports, but don't say they don't care!

As an offtopic: I just ordered new computer, quite powerful one, it will have an ati card. The choice was pretty easy - I need 2D, ati currently is better with it, I play 3D games and ati just provides that rather good, but the main reason actually is that ati is getting a lot better with linux and I see a future in that... I'll try to test how this compares and feels against my current nVidia card - 2D and 3D. Will post that in separate thread, just to share expierence.
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 03:12 AM   #8
pawels133

Quote:
No, MacOS costs money, Linux doesn't. Should be something there.

"Linux market share" isn't rising fast, if at all. Unless it's got more than 5% of the average user's market (parents and grandparents) I don't see why NVIDIA would put more effort into the binary blob.
Linux market share is probably rising faster than macos (kids) Macos will loose soon.

Quote:
This all is pretty straightforward and easy, please all who complain and are whining nVidia does not care, read this until You understand:
do You see anything on the product box, web site, anywhere that says - supports linux? If not, please feel free to shut up!
nVidia is not required, obligated or so to support linux at all. Read - NOT AT ALL.
And then take this: if they aren't supporting linux officially and meanwhile they make drivers for linux, take bug reports, fix problems they don't have to, what do You call this? Not caring about customers? Hey, You must be sick then
I don't see anything about supporting macos too.

And one more thing. Idiots or 'sick' people would just be quiet when someone is making them fools.

Old 09-18-08, 04:30 AM   #9
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Linux market share is probably rising faster than macos (kids) Macos will loose soon.

I don't see anything about supporting macos too.

And one more thing. Idiots or 'sick' people would just be quiet when someone is making them fools.
(I know I know, don't feed the trolls..)

Please don't turn this into a flamewar. Just your comment "Macos will loose soon." is enough for me, you obviously have no idea.
Old 09-18-08, 05:16 AM   #10
pawels133

Quote:
(I know I know, don't feed the trolls..)

Please don't turn this into a flamewar. Just your comment "Macos will loose soon." is enough for me, you obviously have no idea.
You're troll for me. I have idea, because apple focused on iPods and iPhones right now. Macos has anything good to offer just critical bugs and big requirements. On surveys, which are made on some popular sites, Linux is always on second place, first is windows of course.
Old 09-18-08, 06:19 AM   #11
Fackamato
User

Quote:
You're troll for me. I have idea, because apple focused on iPods and iPhones right now. Macos has anything good to offer just critical bugs and big requirements. On surveys, which are made on some popular sites, Linux is always on second place, first is windows of course.

Old 09-18-08, 07:34 AM   #12
Big P

Default Re: Performance issues and commercial development (offtopic)

Thread of The Year
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote