Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-08, 12:08 PM   #49
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: DX10 vs DX9 effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
3 gigs? pfffft..

I dunno I dont find xp sexy anymore.. I think vista has finally won me over. People still wondering if dx10 is worth it..I say who cares.. get vista... get the biggest cpu you can, get the best video card you can, and get your game on!
Care to explain why Vista has won you over... I just don't see the attraction and all I see is the hassles of learning a new operating system and losing compatibility with my older very useful programs... I'm on Winxp 64 bit for now, but can be easily swayed...

V
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 01:09 PM   #50
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Care to explain why Vista has won you over... I just don't see the attraction and all I see is the hassles of learning a new operating system and losing compatibility with my older very useful programs... I'm on Winxp 64 bit for now, but can be easily swayed...

V
If you've got XP 64, no reason really to switch over other than for the prettier looks and few games that can take advantage of DX10. If the new stalker game truly is using a DX10 "exclusive" feature set to do what the tech videos show it can do, then if you're a fan of the game, that'd be one reason to switch in hopes that other games will follow in the same footsteps.

At first, I hated Vista with a passion too..but I was on a P4 machine and few of my programs actually had vista compatiblity...let alone Vista 64 compatiblity. So I put it off for the longest time and slowly but surely, the developers started getting their stuff together and releasing patches and more support for vista.

I'm running vista now on 3 different machines. I've got 64 ultimate on my machine at home and business 32bit on both my work computers. Aside from my audio usb device not having 64 bit drivers for a while, I'm now a beta tester for them and all works well. that's really been my only MAJOR complaint. I do audio recording and have to use every bit of my 4 gigs of ram and for me to not have my usb audio connection device, I could't record so I stuck with XP until I could beta test for them.

After using vista back months and months ago and then again now with SP1, all it's patches and using Vlite to strip epic amounts of garbage out of the OS, it runs just as fast as XP runs. The PC hardware is no longer a bottle neck.

For the record though, Crysis is still a helluva lot faster when ran in DX9 mode...and whether or not the new stalker game shares this similarity or not, I'm not sure.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 01:15 PM   #51
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

You might have issues with old software (although ive ran mugen and some software wavetable synths with no problem which is really surprising). However everything I use today is new or has been updated for vista, so thats probably one reason I don't have any problems.

Whats won me over? Well for one I dont need to hack my windows to get in the nice visual effects, also XP effects hacked in are still 2d, quite a bit more of a performance hog then going 3d and offloading everything to the 3d chipset. And the entire logon process is just visualy more appealing with windows fading in and out.

Also (and this is the viewpoint of being on my laptop. My desktop I am usualy stuck in a game) while startup does seem slower, hybernate does seem faster and I use it most of the time when shutting down the laptop. From a security stand point, I like the program execution confirmation screens. Many of you may find them highly annoying, but atleast I know when an unknown program is trying to start, and that it wont start unless I say OK. Even the best virus programs wont stop rogue programs that get past it.

Thats about all that comes off the top of my head, and its not much really, but then every other aspect of vista is atleast on par with XP in my eyes. So its not like I lost anything going to vista.