http://pc.ign.com/articles/911/911519p1.html
Zeus666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:24 AM   #26
LurkerLito

Default Re: Update on the protection in Warhead from cry-alex

The biggest problem with this protection is this:
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/fe...-halpin/?biz=1
Quote:
"This DRM did nothing to combat the cracking of the game. In fact, it essentially helped in training legions of customers how to become pirates and legitimized their rationalization in the process."
I already am not buying any more EA games on the PC till the remove activation limitations, I won't bother downloading the pirated version either as I have enough games to play already, but you know that there will be many more who will just end up using the pirated version. For me I am not 100% anti-DRM when it comes to games but when they do something as horrible as to bypass a very user friendy and functional DRM like steam for something as buyer unfriendly as this activation limits SecuROM BS they have gone way over the line. If they put a activation revoke tool that I could run at any time then maybe I will change my mind but even then I'd still have reservations but at least it wouldn't be what I consider as totally user unfriendly as it is now.

IMO the devs have a right to protect their IP from theft but they have NO RIGHT to prevent me from using it after I purchased it.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:30 AM   #27
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

I don't know what's wrong with Steam servers today, but I started downloading it this morning (8 hours ago) and went to work. I got home and it had downloaded about 50% of the game, download speed is now about 15 kb/sec.

The other day Clear Sky downloaded at full speed. Saddest thing is that I could get the pirated torrent at full speed if I wanted.

Why those stupid different dates for USA and Europe?. They only benefit pirates
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 10:28 AM   #28
agentkay

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?thr...82ec7eac67bec3

EA is already working on a tool that lets the end-user "de-activate" the game on their own so that they won't even need to ask EA for addional activations. Yes I agree, this tool should have been there in the first place (and I originally thought it was build into the uninstaller) but even without it its not an unreasonable system because legal versions of XP/Vista and other professional applications have similar systems/protection where you have call to get addional activations.

And yes Lfctony, in my opinion its a huge difference when a game gets leaked and pirated a good week before release (Crysis) or basically at release or a day later (Warhead) plus you have to be a pretty pathetic scumbag if you can't afford $30 for a game with excellent value. Shows really that pirates would steal software even when it would cost $5 and have absolutely no respect for the hard work developers put into into games nor respect for intellectual property.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 10:36 AM   #29
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?thr...82ec7eac67bec3

EA is already working on a tool that lets the end-user "de-activate" the game on their own so that they won't even need to ask EA for addional activations. Yes I agree, this tool should have been there in the first place (and I originally thought it was build into the uninstaller) but even without it its not an unreasonable system because legal versions of XP/Vista and other professional applications have similar systems/protection where you have call to get addional activations.

And yes Lfctony, in my opinion its a huge difference when a game gets leaked and pirated a good week before release (Crysis) or basically at release or a day later (Warhead) plus you have to be a pretty pathetic scumbag if you can't afford $30 for a game with excellent value. Shows really that pirates would steal software even when it would cost $5 and have absolutely no respect for the hard work developers put into into games nor respect for intellectual property.
that won't help that much, what they really need is a website that you can login with your account (ea account) see what games are activated and de-activate them from that specific PC

i lost one spore activation when i re-installed vista while trying to fix blu-ray read speed issue
Old 09-19-08, 10:54 AM   #30
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

Crysis Warhead Activation De-Authorisation Tool Announced

Quote:
EA is expediting development of a system that will allow consumers to de-authorize machines and move authorizations to new machines. This system will effectively give you direct control to manage your authorizations between an unlimited number of different machines without having to contact EA customer service.

Please keep in mind that we cannot commit to a specific time frame or give you a date on when this will be available, but it is definitely being worked on.

We hope that this will really keep you guys happy and that you can understand that we have been listening to your concerns and are trying to make as much progress as possible to help you all out as best we can.
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 02:52 PM   #31
Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
that won't help that much, what they really need is a website that you can login with your account (ea account) see what games are activated and de-activate them from that specific PC

i lost one spore activation when i re-installed vista while trying to fix blu-ray read speed issue
It helps me out a ton, personally. As long as you make sure you de-authorize it before you install new hardware it should work perfectly.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 03:36 PM   #32
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
That wasn't my point. I said that they lost a lot of sales by not releasing the game everywhere at the same time. People who were willing to buy it would have done it if the game was available on the 17th for everyone. Instead, it was released on the 19th for Europe. Several people who were willing to buy it at the 17th got the pirate version on the 18th because the game was not available for purchase when the pirate version came out... For Europe, Crysis Warhead was leaked early...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote