Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-08, 11:57 PM   #1813
Llamalama

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Thanks for that. I just looked at your sig and noticed that your core/clock speed is higher than default. I think I'll hang on to my GTX for a while. It runs FSX fairly well, I just think that my res does give it a hard time occasionally. Right now I'm about to reinstall FS9 for the first time since I got my present rig because I missed my PMDG "Queen of the Skies" and a hold heap of other add ons, just for old time sakes.
Old 09-22-08, 06:13 AM   #1814
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamalama View Post
Thanks for that. I just looked at your sig and noticed that your core/clock speed is higher than default. I think I'll hang on to my GTX for a while. It runs FSX fairly well, I just think that my res does give it a hard time occasionally. Right now I'm about to reinstall FS9 for the first time since I got my present rig because I missed my PMDG "Queen of the Skies" and a hold heap of other add ons, just for old time sakes.
Hey Llamalama

Its not a bad idea to hang on to your GTX if FSX is your Main App and your happy with how other games run on it....i went to the HD4870 a few months back & ive been quite happy with it in FSX & my other games as in everything else its a massive jump over the 880gts 640mb i had in but due to the way that FSX is so so so CPU dependent your not going to see any improvement in FPS by moving to this Gen of cards...

infact due to imature drivers that are atm more CPU dependent you might see a loss! the only way your going to see boost in FPS it to jump to DX10 and put up with the rendering errors/bug & half assed implementation...FSX is just broken and no amount of hardware or snakeoil cfg tweaks will ever completely fix it

SEX for FSX! seems a bit of a con as from what ive read they just taken FSX's default sounds and copied the mono track to another chanel...thats not really stereo but just dual mono....and how are they getting around the copyrite as those sounds are still Aces
one to avoid i think

@SJA06

Im still learning the in & outs of Cloud masking and what textures FSX uses for various stuff stuff but the 4096x4096 thing is pretty much BS...due to the fact that what the Env addon guys arent telling you is that that 4096x4096 texture infact is devided into 16 individual 1024x1024 cloud blocks....so while the over all texture is 4096 each cloud is only 1024.....i suggest you grab DXTbmp and have a browse around FSX's texture folder which is where FSX store its Cloud textures cumulus01 & cumulus02 being the two main 16 block cloud textures files

Thanks for the kind words guys but i know theres a lot of work todo to get them upto FEX/REX standard and no dout it will be a while yet before there ready togo...also the on off overcast british weather dont help hehe

Laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 09:00 AM   #1815
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Hey Llamalama

@SJA06

Im still learning the in & outs of Cloud masking and what textures FSX uses for various stuff stuff but the 4096x4096 thing is pretty much BS...due to the fact that what the Env addon guys arent telling you is that that 4096x4096 texture infact is devided into 16 individual 1024x1024 cloud blocks....so while the over all texture is 4096 each cloud is only 1024.....i suggest you grab DXTbmp and have a browse around FSX's texture folder which is where FSX store its Cloud textures cumulus01 & cumulus02 being the two main 16 block cloud textures files
Yeah, I've had a poke about in the past with image tool from ACES, and noticed this 4x4 arrangement - So are you using the same template of 4x4, or can it be simplified?

I need to read up on creating textures with an Alpha channel, which I've no idea about - I guess a bit of Googling is required.

I have put a link to the sunset texture I created in PS [a rich orange horizon], in the FSX club page if anyone would like to try it [usual back-up precautions apply]

A question maybe you could answer Steve, there are nine Sky_Sunset_X textures, yet to my eye they were all exactly the same - so I just created one texture and duplicated it nine times. It seems to work just fine, blending from Pre-sunset to post-sunset very nicely. SO why are there nine the same?

This seems to apply to all the sky textures throughout the day, lots of duplicates.

Mark..
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 12:40 PM   #1816
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
Yeah, I've had a poke about in the past with image tool from ACES, and noticed this 4x4 arrangement - So are you using the same template of 4x4, or can it be simplified?

I need to read up on creating textures with an Alpha channel, which I've no idea about - I guess a bit of Googling is required.

I have put a link to the sunset texture I created in PS [a rich orange horizon], in the FSX club page if anyone would like to try it [usual back-up precautions apply]

A question maybe you could answer Steve, there are nine Sky_Sunset_X textures, yet to my eye they were all exactly the same - so I just created one texture and duplicated it nine times. It seems to work just fine, blending from Pre-sunset to post-sunset very nicely. SO why are there nine the same?

This seems to apply to all the sky textures throughout the day, lots of duplicates.

Mark..
Hey Mark

I havent dug deeper than just doing replacements for the sky textures much like yourself
i will be building some test textures later this week for it to try and see whats going on in a bit more detail,i'll make a set of numbered texture tiles and set ingame time to x8 and see what happens if i find anything worth noting i'll let you know,im gonna give your sky replacement's a go ASAP.....hey maybe we can work together on a freeware sky package! my clouds your skys

About alpha textures well just think that they act as masks for what ever is in the RGB channel you have 256 levels of transparency white being fully opaque/solid and black fully transparent,theres plenty of tuts and info out there but let me know if you get stuck or need any help

Done a bit more work on my first set of clouds & there starting to look almost release worthy

BTW the plane in these shots is the freeware Westland Wyvern top model & a real nice flyer
grab it at http://www.nazcastudios.com/sea-hawk/wyvern.html

Laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 01:56 PM   #1817
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Amazing Steve, your getting releasable quality stuff here, and you've only just started on this...most impressive.

I will bung any skies I do your way, so you can add them if you wish.

I'll take a look at alpha textures, and how to deal with them - I've got the drift of what they do, but not how to create a texture with them - so yes, thanks, I may well bend-your-ear at some point. I have no intention of doing anything on a great scale, but would just like to learn a bit more about how things are done - and to create a few things for my own use.

I will happily try your clouds, if you would like another opinion of them in use...

This is another I am doing, similar colours, but deeper, less vivid, tones on the horizon.
Old 09-24-08, 09:02 PM   #1818
sillyeagle
sillyego

Wow steve, that's quite impressive! Cool plane too, I might have to try it out.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 09-24-08, 10:20 PM   #1819
Bob D

Hi Gang,

These are some outstanding screenshots! Great job!! Wish I could come close to this quality.

See You in the Skies,

Bob (Bug Out Bag)
Bob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 11:32 PM   #1820
cikez5252

Very nice I cant wait to get Flight Simulator!
cikez5252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-08, 03:47 AM   #1821
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

REX forum is up, inc. some new shots of the interface...Looking very nice.

http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php

For 20 I think this is going to have to be bought...I now have ASX, XG, FEX, FTX, UTX, GenX, so I may as will have REX too.....but I ain't paying for SEX
Old 09-25-08, 07:22 PM   #1822
sillyeagle
sillyego

Alphasim Seasprite. I don't really like the Alphasim Helo flight models, they are way to touchy, and harder than ANY others to land, but they have certainly stepped it up in the model and VC dept. Actually it was the textures that pulled me to this one.

BTW nice to see some new "faces" around here. lol If you guys are going to buy any payware scenery Orbx FTX AUBLUE is the first one to get. At a minimum get the free Tasmania demo. These shots come from the FTX Redcliff area, which has some extremely detailed landclass work, all hand placed.

http://www.fullterrain.com/

EVGA Intel X58
Old 09-25-08, 07:29 PM   #1823
sillyeagle
sillyego

If you don't cruise the FSW forums you might have missed this one, which is worth seeing.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 09-26-08, 04:09 AM   #1824
Llamalama

Wow & Wow. That's simply incredible. Can't wait for REX. Which reminds me ,does anyone know where the default coud/sky textures are located on the CD.