Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-08, 06:56 AM   #133
Burnt_Ram

Default Re: Crysis Warhead Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
Just go delete the files mang.
i can't rename, move or delete them. every time i do Steam replaces them. i need a command line if one exists.
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 07:49 AM   #134
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I played the Single Player campaign for just 30 minutes last night and wow, CW runs better than Crysis. But it's probably just because they toned the graphics down just a hair. Here's a cool random moment though:

I was trying to sneak around a KPA patrol when my suit energy ran out and my cloak shut off. All of a sudden, a truck full of soldiers tries to floor it and run me over! But I just so happen to throw a grenade in front of the truck, it exploded, the truck popped a huge wheelie while still coming towards me and I barely escape. That was one intense moment.

Crysis Wars is pretty fun, I really like TIA. The funny thing is that many servers are doing "Battlegrounds" 24/7 but they only have 6-10 people in them. Battlegrounds needs at least 25 people to be a good game IMO.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 08:09 AM   #135
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

they jumped to quickly to the frozen island part. preffered the lush greens much more then frozen landscape
Old 09-23-08, 08:18 AM   #136
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
they jumped to quickly to the frozen island part. preffered the lush greens much more then frozen landscape
+1. I'm not a big fan of the aliens.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 08:23 AM   #137
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Yeah. The aliens are pretty lame. More annoying than anything else.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 12:59 PM   #138
agentkay

Great game, intense action, great visuals as always, and the jungle felt more "alive" I guess because of more ambient sounds and ambient visuals/effects. AI was improved, died quiet a few more times by flanking NKs but sometimes they had brainfarts and reacted too slow (on Delta), Advanced AI mod for Crysis has the more responsive/challenging AI. Story isn't all that exciting but it has a few surprises in store and I was quite impressed by the great level design overall. A little short, 6 1/2h on Delta (finished within two days). Overall a 8.9/10, great expansion for its price.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 01:14 PM   #139
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Played through the first level yesterday. It's entertaining I'll admit that.

I copied the Xconfig autoexe file from crysis into my warhead directory and at 1680X1050 and all graphics options saying CUSTOM, I'm getting a rock solid 30 fps minimum...so with that being said, I'll admit it runs better on my system than crysis does by around 5~9 fps avg depending on what's going on.

The first level felt a bit linear to begin with until it opened up with that hillside facing the sea. The "sandbox" combat pretty much only consisted of choosing a different bush to hide in and begin the explosions...which is something I'm not really fond of already. All the blowing stuff up that from what I've read, Crytek has decided to allow define this game's overall theme. So Psycho like explosions... what If I don't? ....Ok I do but not all the time at least! I want to be sneaky sometimes and airstrikes constantly pummling the area I want to silently inflitrate kinda removes a huge possible way of playing an area. Giving me the option to call in air strikes (like you did in the harbor mission of crysis) would have been a muuuuuch better alternative.

I guess I'm just chapped that the entire first level, I feel like I was led by a leash the entire time and by the time I had gotten to each area where combat occurs, it seemed like the air strikes had already obliterated half the battle zone and I was stuck with cleanup duty.

Top that off with the fact that despite fighter jets dropping bombs on buildings, the KPA still quietly meander around as if nothing is happening.... They just nonchalantly stroll about their quiet patrol routes oblivious to all hell breaking loose around them.

On the flip side, I'll say that it's still quite entertaining and fun but I just don't feel like the combat scenes in the first level unfolded very well at all. And I think that worse still, no matter how many times I play it, the same fight is going to happen every single time. The only thing that will be different is which bush or rock I'll be hiding behind before opening fire.

And I mention this simply becuase there were a lot of combat scenes in crysis that were VERY different depending on how I approached the target/objective... like in the first level, the far side of the big bay that you see during sunrise, there are roughly 3 little battles that happen. 2 village fights and the one up on the edge of the cliff with the KPA data trailer with an objective goal in it. You can skip these ENTIRELY and sneak down the beach, up the cliff and into the trailer without firing a SINGLE SHOT.

And if you wanted, you can approach the fights from the high ground, from the front door of the village guns a blazing or from the beach.

The first level of Warhead has NONE of this. I looked and I didn't see it. Every fight I engaged in this first level, I gave the surroundings a good long look and surveyed various approaches and it seems like I only get one, two at most approaches to a fight that will unfold the same regardless of where or how I initiate it.

Maybe the rest of the game is different, maybe it isn't.

All I know is that I've played a half dozen 3rd party crysis missions that whip this first Warhead mission like a dog and the great majority of the Crysis missions. They don't tie into a central story line but their own plot and story lines are good enough that you're sucked in.

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=32523&page=1

I hate to say it (not really though) but when I play maps like Neodymium, Vulcano, Airfield or Castaway, I can't put the mouse down. They're simply SO much fun and are so open ended they really define what Crysis is supposed to be better than crysis itself manages to do. Seriously.. I get bummed out after finishing these 3rd party levels after they're over becuase I've got nothing but the plain old crytek levels to go back to.

With any luck I can have the game finished by the end of the week to give an updated report on my final thoughts on the game so until then, I'm not passing final judgement. First level though gets a C- grade.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 03:13 PM   #140
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Cool I'm gonna try some of those 3rd party levels at some point when I have the time for it. Will they work for Warhead as well? Don't have Crysis installed after my last disc format now, and I won't bother if Warhead can play all the custom levels
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-08, 03:30 PM   #141
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Not sure. There's only one way to find out!

I use this to run crysis and 3rd party levels. It can automatically manage them, mods, installations, etc...not to mention letting you run these maps (including original crytek maps) with unlimited weapon carrying so you can hold as many guns as you want!

http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?fileid=884&lim=20

Edit: It automatically looks for the crysis.exe for crysis not warhead (despite warhead also using crysis.exe to load it's game) so I can't test it using warhead levels. As long as the 3rd party levels are installed correctly though, I'd think that they would work even if you had to do the map load console way of getting into them. Not sure if those levels rely on content from the crysis files though...like textures and models.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
Old 09-24-08, 08:47 AM   #142
JH24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

I agree, I was actually disappointed to find out that we switched to a frozen landscape so fast, just as I was having fun in the first two levels. I don't dislike the aliens, I find them pretty cool and well-designed, the transition just felt too soon, too fast.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 09:57 AM   #143
wysiwyg

i thought the frozen level with the large frozen sea and waves was cool

and awesome
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 10:46 AM   #144
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

+1 on the too soon to go to ice level transition.

Here's my update on my thoughts after getting to the aircraft carrier.

I think the design and execution of the pilot/submarine level was incredible. The open and expansive terrain let me define how things happend. I played that mission through 4 times and had a blast doing it differently each time.

- I did the traditional (developer intended) driving method blowing up everything on the way.

- When first starting off, I jumped down over the guard rail and down onto the beach, into the water and swam around the rocks along the shore and stayed all stealthy the whole time and then emerged where the bridge connects two shore lines and began a stealthy assault of that area, grabbed a humvee and finished in vehicle.

- I stayed on the road and followed along the road and executed small managble fire fights in each little battle area with the buildings and what not. All the explosive barrels helped.

THAT's how these levels are meant to be IMO. That level was excuted amazingly well and had a KILLER Time of day setting going on. I wasn't too keen on the re-spawning enemies though there at the end when I was at the sub.

Now, the ice levels have been horrendously linear. Not only did I NOT want to jump in the hovercraft, I wanted to play at my own pace and neither of these are feasible becuase if you don't get in, the lady on the radio will not SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

Now, this is when I'll get a few more things off my chest that I'm discovering that I don't like that could probably really make a big difference in the overall experience.

I spent a good hour and a half just taking my time in the pilot level as well as the first mission just exploring the environment and another half hour poking around the big ice levels. I think that with environments this big and open, there should be points of interest off the beaten path as that's where I spend most of my time in the game but there's nothing.

I think that hidden weapon stashes or SOMETHING to promote exploration like this would be nice. Something like the frog on the book area on that tiny island on the first mission. Just SOMETHING like a dead KPA soldier with some grenades or a ammo box or two just randomly scattered about way off in the nooks and crannies of the maps. Or wrecked vehicles. Small "hidden" objectives like finding a little bunker with data or a new weapon that you could discover earlier than you would normally be given that weapon or a scope, grenade launcher attachment, etc would have been a great incentive to get the player digging around. Speaking of digging, underground tunnels or little caves that could lead you to otherwise inaccessible tactical vantage points would have been cool. (kinda like in farcry when you get out of the big trigen lab where you can go through this underground area that takes you up to the top of this cliff where you get to hang glide over a large trigen filled area? THAT's what I want.

And another thing, how long are we going to have to wait until someone makes a map with one of these big bays that you do all your fighting around that has some sort of hidden grotto. I want a wrecked plane down on the bottom of the reef with coral and fish around it.. I want a sunk boat with some ammo or something in it. I want these developers to promote map exploration!

Now, back to the ice level. I felt that the transition was too soon but it was ultimately done quite well..that I will admit. I think it was well setup and it was a well developed introduction to the ice world. I just think that we should have been given one more mission in the tropics.

Now, regarding these ice levels, I've picked one bone with the first one. You can't win if you don't use the hovercraft (at least not on Delta). The aliens are too strong and you aren't given much ammo when you get off the sub so HAVING to get in the hovercraft goes against this new design tenet the interview with one of the crytek developers said he DIDNT want to happen.

I jumped out of that stupid thing the first minute I could. I did play through the entire area in the hovercraft but I found that jumping out when you get out of the initial area with the big flying aliens and going it on foot after that lets you not only experience much more actual firefights, you also get to stock up on guns and ammo.

I was actually plesantly surprised at how well the squad fighting in the ice level is. They go at your pace and help a lot so I have no problems with this... I just think that after the hovercraft part of that ice level is over, again, it's ridiculously linear game play to the tunnel.

I just made it to the entrance of the aircraft carrier so I'll hopefully have an update tomorrow or Friday.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012