Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-08, 08:50 AM   #1
alfrom33

Default Problems with 173.14.12 and FC9.5 Transition

I note that (as of today) there is no Nvidia support in livna for the 2.6.26 kernel that comes with FC9.5. It is fine with the 2.6.25 kernel, but not 2.6.26.

When I download and run the Nvidia 173.14.12 installer, it generates error messages

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is not a symbolic link

and the same for libwfb.so. The resulting system (after rebooting) seems to work, so I don't know whether the above errors need to be fixed or not. Please advise.

I am wondering why there is such tight coupling between the Nvidia driver and X11. What happened with the latest X11 that caused problems for the driver? I understand the kernel dependency, but not the X11 dependency.

Thanks!
alfrom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 10:20 AM   #2
Linuxhippy

Default Re: Problems with 173.14.12 and FC9.5 Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfrom33 View Post
I am wondering why there is such tight coupling between the Nvidia driver and X11. What happened with the latest X11 that caused problems for the driver? I understand the kernel dependency, but not the X11 dependency.
I can't comment on the other things, but the nvidia driver loads as plugin into X11 (to provide 2D accaleration and OpenGL integration).
Therefor there is a lot of communication between Xorg and the nvidia x11 modules, if Xorg changes their internal api's the nvidia driver has to be adapted to work again.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote