Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-08, 08:34 PM   #1
logan

Default black images in 177.x

I mentioned this in the 177.76 OUT !! topic, but never saw a response. By default, Firefox automatically scales down images larger than the viewable area, and they're coming up (mostly) black for me on the first load. I don't know when this started, but 177.70 is when I first noticed it. I've also seen this on smaller inline images, possibly when the width/height attributes don't match the original image size.

http://scr3.golem.de/screenshots/060.../crysis_05.jpg
http://static.computergames.ro/cg/as.../crysis068.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (28.5 KB, 79 views)
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 10:28 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: black images in 177.x

Thanks. Oddly, I can reproduce this problem with both the nvidia and nv drivers, but not with vesa. I'll look into what's going on.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 11:21 AM   #3
OliW

I'm also getting this when compiz is enabled... I also get poor refreshing in some GTK+ and Qt apps (eg menu entries stay selected even when you mouse-off). Scrolling or forcing a whole-screen refresh (eg initing desktop cube) forces a redraw and everything looks okay again.

I use nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1, but I'm not sure if that's an issue =\

It's only reared its head the last couple of versions.
OliW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 12:32 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

OliW,
Your problem sounds like an unrelated issue that's caused by a design limitation in the Damage X extension. The problem is that the X server sends Damage events before it has even told the driver to render anything. If the composite manager acts on that information before the rendering has actually happened, it can get stale pixels. It's possible that recent versions of the driver perturbed the timing just enough to make you start running into it.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 06:45 AM   #5
OliW

Is there a fix for this Aaron? It's not making the system unusable but it's pretty annoying when I can still see old text in editors.

Having a look around the forums, there are a couple of other people that seem to have the same or similar refresh issues but none of the ones I've seen have had an answer on how to fix it.
OliW is offline   Reply With Quote