Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-08, 08:47 PM   #13
einstein_314
w00t!!
 
einstein_314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,905
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

I fail to see how this is such a big shock to so many people....hasn't microsoft based previous OS's on their previous versions? Do you honestly expect them to start from the ground up? Vista isn't that bad. The only reason it's being regarded as the biggest flop ever is because of all the bad hype. I get in arguments everyday with people who claim vista is the biggest POS ever. They have no concrete reasons why they think this. And those who do would have the same problem with any OS. 99% of computer users know virtually nothing about the computers they use everyday and complain because things are different. People don't like change.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (9 x 355) w/ Swiftec APOGEE GTX Waterblock|| Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi Edition
eVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked Edition @ 675/1150 w/ DangerDen 8800GTX Waterblock|| 4x1GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500
X-Fi Fatal1ty 64MB || PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W || Seagate 7200.10 320 GB || Dell 2407WFP
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 09:25 PM   #14
newfiejudd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 135
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
I fail to see how this is such a big shock to so many people....hasn't microsoft based previous OS's on their previous versions? Do you honestly expect them to start from the ground up? Vista isn't that bad. The only reason it's being regarded as the biggest flop ever is because of all the bad hype. I get in arguments everyday with people who claim vista is the biggest POS ever. They have no concrete reasons why they think this. And those who do would have the same problem with any OS. 99% of computer users know virtually nothing about the computers they use everyday and complain because things are different. People don't like change.
Couldn't possibly agree more with you there. And I love my MBP 17". But I still use Windows as my Gaming System.

IF Micro$oft try and charge for an upgraded version of Vista I think it will turn alot of Computer savvy poeple Elsewhere. And in a sad way I hope it does. Maybe it would stimulate the open source wolrd a lot more.
__________________
Intel QX6850 Extreme
Asus Striker extreme 680i
EVGA 750i @ 3.5 Ghz
EVGA GTX 280(Soon to be SLI)
4 Gigs of Corsair 8500
Vista 32/ Vista 64
Cosmos S Case
X-Fi Extreme Gamer
TT Extreme 120
newfiejudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 09:35 PM   #15
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
I fail to see how this is such a big shock to so many people....hasn't microsoft based previous OS's on their previous versions? Do you honestly expect them to start from the ground up? Vista isn't that bad. The only reason it's being regarded as the biggest flop ever is because of all the bad hype. I get in arguments everyday with people who claim vista is the biggest POS ever. They have no concrete reasons why they think this. And those who do would have the same problem with any OS. 99% of computer users know virtually nothing about the computers they use everyday and complain because things are different. People don't like change.
No offense, einstein_314, but Vista has a lot of that bad rap coming. ESPECIALLY pre-SP1.

At the university I work for, we required our users to install SP1 for Vista. Nearly a quarter of the machines (Newish Dells, HPs, Toshibas, etc) failed to upgrade properly. Either black screens or infinite restarts. It was a disaster that we still haven't recovered from, especially since we don't service student machines.....
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 09:42 PM   #16
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

My experience with Vista has been good Q. Therefore that is gospel and you are wrong.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 09:54 PM   #17
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
My experience with Vista has been good Q. Therefore that is gospel and you are wrong.
See, I don't follow the "There is nothing wrong with MINE - you must be doing something wrong" mentality. I've had Vista run great and run horribly and I've seen what it can do to thousands of mid-range laptops from big companies. It's not pretty....

::Bows in humility::
....My lord.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 10:06 PM   #18
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

I too have had great Vista times with my home PCs, but on works PCs which I have built and been responsible for I've had issues, same as you getting SP1 to install. All issues were fixed by reinstalling Vista, but that's not desirable in most places. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 10:18 PM   #19
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
No offense, einstein_314, but Vista has a lot of that bad rap coming. ESPECIALLY pre-SP1.

At the university I work for, we required our users to install SP1 for Vista. Nearly a quarter of the machines (Newish Dells, HPs, Toshibas, etc) failed to upgrade properly. Either black screens or infinite restarts. It was a disaster that we still haven't recovered from, especially since we don't service student machines.....

hence the reason i run linux. simple, elegant, allows me control of my device..oh and no viruses or spyware.

at my work, i manage 70 PC's by myself and i started rolling Vista out to them over the summer. got to 7 machines and had to revert them becaue of hardware/software compatibilty problems and PC's running slow.

We have a citrix server and i have SERIOUSLY thought about switching us to linux and running Citrix for their Windows applications..
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 12:48 AM   #20
einstein_314
w00t!!
 
einstein_314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,905
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
No offense, einstein_314, but Vista has a lot of that bad rap coming. ESPECIALLY pre-SP1.

At the university I work for, we required our users to install SP1 for Vista. Nearly a quarter of the machines (Newish Dells, HPs, Toshibas, etc) failed to upgrade properly. Either black screens or infinite restarts. It was a disaster that we still haven't recovered from, especially since we don't service student machines.....
I understand what you're saying. And I know that just because I haven't had any problems doesn't mean there aren't any.

I don't think Vista should even be attempted to be put on a machine that was made during XP's lifetime. That's just asking for trouble. And I think that's why there were so many problems. People tried to put it on "older" computer and it didn't work.

I've installed Vista on about a dozen different machines, some laptops, mostly custom built pc's and haven't had a single problem yet.

I think the main problem now is that when you buy a laptop with vista on it, it comes with 30 other stupid resource hogging programs that the manufacturer decided to install. Those are what makes vista a PITA and run poorly.

My roommate just bought a brand new toshiba laptop. 2Ghz C2D, 3 GB ram, etc. It ran like crap. It took forever to boot up, and when it did, there were 10 icons in the task bar, all with popups asking you to do this and that. And the thing was SLOW! Right after boot, there were 81 processes running. This is before she installed anything on it!

I spent a good 3 hours removing the crap and voila, it actually runs quite well. If it had been up to me I would have formatted it and started from scratch.

So yeah....back on topic...
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (9 x 355) w/ Swiftec APOGEE GTX Waterblock|| Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi Edition
eVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked Edition @ 675/1150 w/ DangerDen 8800GTX Waterblock|| 4x1GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500
X-Fi Fatal1ty 64MB || PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W || Seagate 7200.10 320 GB || Dell 2407WFP
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-08, 06:16 AM   #21
S.SubZero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 124
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
The most obvious difference is MS is removing a lot of their little used bloatware.
Outlook express, movie maker, and other seldom used stuff will be removed.
Vista doesn't come with Outlook Express. It comes with "Microsoft Mail". Which is basically Outlook Express.

These apps aren't going away, they will simply be a separate download. The Live apps are essentially improved versions of these things, with more Live integration. They are a little better than the apps that come with Vista, but don't replace them. There's no need for two Mails and two Photo Gallerys and whatever. I'm sure just like Live Messenger in Vista, Windows 7 will have a very obvious icon to click to download the Live apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
There are many questions outstanding.
Will Win7 now require a MS-Live account? (Is this a new anti-piracy tactic?)
Doubtful. For the record, when a new Mac is taken out of the box, and OS X started the first time, it happily asks for the user's name, address, phone number, email address, and really wants to create an online account for them, after a few pages of "ARE YOU **SURE** YOU DON'T WANT A .MAC/MOBILEME ACOUNT?!!! IT'S ONLY $99 A YEAR REALLY!!"

Microsoft has so far never asked for these things.
S.SubZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 07:19 AM   #22
K007
 
K007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Sydney
Posts: 9,406
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

i don't think i can eva go back to xp after using vista...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 11:00 AM   #23
Gimlis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 50
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
i don't think i can eva go back to xp after using vista...

Oh I could and did.

But that was pre SP1, I needed to use a couple older Custom apps that didn't run well / correctly on vista along with performance & stability issues with a couple older games..
Though I am fairly certain the fault was in / with the individual Apps or games programming and not Vista. Regardless of where the fault lied it I meant that Vista was not a viable choice for use as my primary Os at the time.


my need for those apps has since changed so I have been thingking about giving Vista another go.
Gimlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 11:49 PM   #24
evox
:3
 
evox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: India
Posts: 2,254
Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
just like all the rest of 5% computer users in the world
Lawl.
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Windows 8 could be the next Vista News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
Like XP or Vista: how will businesses treat Windows 8? News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 09:10 AM
NVIDIA Brings 18 Years of Experience to Windows 8 News Archived News Items 0 06-03-12 06:20 AM
Sync it up: Hands on with the preview of Windows 8's cloud sync service News Archived News Items 0 06-02-12 08:30 PM
$15 Windows 8 upgrades available from Microsoft through January 2013 News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 11:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.