Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-08, 09:20 PM   #1
DiscipleDOC

Default Virtualization

I need some suggestions about what is the best virtualization plan to go to. I'm tired of bad backup tapes, and I need to go to the next level with virtualization.

Currently, I'm looking at vmware. I will do some studying up on it, but I want to make sure that's the best way to go.

I briefly looked into virtual server 2005 at my previous job, but I don't know enough about it to know where to even start.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 09:38 PM   #2
Q

Default Re: Virtualization

How much money are you looking to spend?

Virtual Infrastructure is the way to go if you have the money. Its the VMWare suite with ESX(i) as the focus, but you need the hardware and cash to do so.

I'm heavy into this stuff at work right now. I'll post some more tomorrow and will help you in any way I can.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 09:57 PM   #3
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
How much money are you looking to spend?

Virtual Infrastructure is the way to go if you have the money. Its the VMWare suite with ESX(i) as the focus, but you need the hardware and cash to do so.

I'm heavy into this stuff at work right now. I'll post some more tomorrow and will help you in any way I can.
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I do want to look into VMWare though....

I think that I have the hardware. I'm looking for the software to use.
Old 09-30-08, 10:30 PM   #4
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

hey doc - I am deep into this as well at Webb (my company). I am going to be pitching it to management for a next year project so I have been reading alot about it.

The 2 that I like are Xen and VMWare. MS's product is terrible in my humble opinion mainly becase it requires you run it on Server 2008. To me, this means reinstalling all my apps and having to start over. not an option on a network of my size or complexity. Also, the footprint for MS's virtual is 2.8GB while the VMware solution is only 32MB and runs on Linux - so its 100% stable.

That being said, to me VMWare will win my thinking for one factor alone...

it will migrate a hardware server into a virtual environment as a part of the install process. That right there is the single best feature I have ever come across. I dont have to reinstall anything. I migrate, bring it online and I'm done (in a perfect world of course).

I will post more info tomorrow also.

any questions so far buddy?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 11:23 PM   #5
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

I don't know much about it myself other than we use VMWare at work and our infrastructure/security manager swears by it. I have a licensed copy through school that I use here at home for homework. I've never tried anything else to compare it to but it's definitely fairly easy to use

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 07:41 AM   #6
Q

ESXi might be the setup for you. It only has a 50mb hard disk install. All it does is run VMs, but you should check out the compatible hardware list first. We've got it running fine on some IBM Blades and Dell Poweredge 1750 and 1950s. You can't automate snapshots like you can with the expensive licenses, but you can run them whenever you like manually.

Also, its free. Absolutely free.

Give this a shot first and foremost. Just make sure you download the VMWare Converter tool. You can virtualize any physical server with this tool. It's damn sweet, and free as well.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 09:32 AM   #7
zoomy942

Quote:
ESXi might be the setup for you. It only has a 50mb hard disk install. All it does is run VMs, but you should check out the compatible hardware list first. We've got it running fine on some IBM Blades and Dell Poweredge 1750 and 1950s. You can't automate snapshots like you can with the expensive licenses, but you can run them whenever you like manually.

Give this a shot first and foremost. Just make sure you download the VMWare Converter tool. You can virtualize any physical server with this tool. It's damn sweet, and free as well.

100% agree and concur.
Old 10-01-08, 10:24 AM   #8
DiscipleDOC

Quote:

I'm d'loading it now. I have a PE 1950 that I'm going to install it on.

Old 10-01-08, 11:43 AM   #9
zoomy942

Let us know how it goes.

I think you will love it. I personally cant wait to move my company to a Virtual environment.
Old 10-03-08, 10:59 AM   #10
DiscipleDOC

Oh...I'm liking this. This is fast and I can see a LOT of potential in this. I'm using VMWare EXi on a 500 GB drive, and I already got a server up and running with it. I'm about to do more!

This is going to be my little pet project for the next several months.
Old 10-03-08, 01:52 PM   #11
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Oh...I'm liking this. This is fast and I can see a LOT of potential in this. I'm using VMWare EXi on a 500 GB drive, and I already got a server up and running with it. I'm about to do more!

This is going to be my little pet project for the next several months.

the nice thing is when you start duplicating servers - meaning if one crashes, you can be back online in 5 minutes instead of 17 hours (which is how long it took me to restore my company from nothin on that fateful may 14 this year).

thats why i am going to push for it. instant failover - no more downtime.
Old 10-03-08, 03:39 PM   #12
DiscipleDOC

HOW COME NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THAT VMWARE WAS THE SHIZZLE? i BLAME ALL OF YOU FOR KEEPING THIS A SECRET FROM ME!!!

Seriously, I'm loving this. I got two servers up and running on this, and I'm about to do a winxp machine as well.