Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-08, 02:14 PM   #49
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Come on Nekro any geek who loves software/hardware loves linux. It isn't as bad as you make it seem, and you just need to try the right distro. Truth be told you probably already use it every day in some embedded device and didn't even know it.

Also Zoomy it isn't about the price being free, but the code.
That is so not true

Some of us who love hardware/software simply don't have the hours and hours to waste trying to get something to work. I still have gutsy gibbon on one of my removable drives but I can't be arsed to use it since nothing I WANT to make work with it will do so without a lot of additional work on my end.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 02:18 PM   #50
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
What a novel idea.

And if you did the same with any other operating system, you would get the exact same result.

i dont completely agree with you on this one.

With any Windows Install, everytime you surf the web or get an email you are putting it at risk. therefore - wth Windows, you may be leaving it alone as you said.. but just interacting with your PC puts you at risk.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 02:39 PM   #51
bacon12

I know XP was a security nightmare on release, but I haven't found anything other than a tracking cookie on Vista in almost two years of use.

There are unix/linux rookits, they just don't spread because of the lower user base as with windows. The user base is also a lot smarted than the average windows user about security.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 02:42 PM   #52
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
I know XP was a security nightmare on release, but I haven't found anything other than a tracking cookie on Vista in almost two years of use.

There are unix/linux rookits, they just don't spread because of the lower user base as with windows. The user base is also a lot smarted than the average windows user about security.
mostly correct. however - they dont spread becasue you have to have sudo permissions to run anything at the system level in linux
Old 10-01-08, 02:46 PM   #53
bacon12

Yes the core or /root won't be infected unless you give permissions but the /home or user files can be easier than you think.
Old 10-01-08, 04:07 PM   #54
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post

With any Windows Install, everytime you surf the web or get an email you are putting it at risk. therefore - wth Windows, you may be leaving it alone as you said.. but just interacting with your PC puts you at risk.
But if you don't open the pop-ups at those sites or install addons or open emails, if you just LEAVE IT be, you'll be fine.

i.e. if you leave it alone
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 04:42 PM   #55
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:

Not ANY Windows install, Vista is fair safe for now. However any one with IE as the default browser in conjunction with an average user is trouble. I recently helped a family member remove spyware on their PC for like the 3rd or 4th time. I said enough is enough and threatened to put on K9 to block all the sites where they were getting this junk. I had support from half, threats on violence from the other. So I put Firefox on and said use this, if you don't I wont help and you'll have to buy a Mac or install Linux. I think they plan to get a Mac soon. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 05:03 PM   #56
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
But if you don't open the pop-ups at those sites or install addons or open emails, if you just LEAVE IT be, you'll be fine.

i.e. if you leave it alone

HAHAHAHAHAHA. fair enough.

"Windows booted up! step away!"

Old 10-01-08, 05:04 PM   #57
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Not ANY Windows install, Vista is fair safe for now. However any one with IE as the default browser in conjunction with an average user is trouble. I recently helped a family member remove spyware on their PC for like the 3rd or 4th time. I said enough is enough and threatened to put on K9 to block all the sites where they were getting this junk. I had support from half, threats on violence from the other. So I put Firefox on and said use this, if you don't I wont help and you'll have to buy a Mac or install Linux. I think they plan to get a Mac soon. ::

lol and true - but remember how mjuch CPU power you have to waste simply to be safe from all the bad things. what a silly way to use a computer. you have to put it in PC jail before you even go outside.
Old 10-01-08, 05:10 PM   #58
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
lol and true - but remember how mjuch CPU power you have to waste simply to be safe from all the bad things. what a silly way to use a computer. you have to put it in PC jail before you even go outside.
If you weren't such a linux fanboy you'd probably know how anti-virus and other malware protection works in Windows. I.e. virtually zero CPU overhead. WTF are you talking about? I demand swift reply with screenshots of this terrible CPU usage you're mentioning.

If anything, my ESET Smart Security is wasting about 45MB of RAM, but zero CPU.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 05:15 PM   #59
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
If you weren't such a linux fanboy you'd probably know how anti-virus and other malware protection works in Windows. I.e. virtually zero CPU overhead. WTF are you talking about? I demand swift reply with screenshots of this terrible CPU usage you're mentioning.

If anything, my ESET Smart Security is wasting about 45MB of RAM, but zero CPU.

settle down there tiger. I have been a windows admin for over 10 years. i think i know a tad bit about how antivirus works.

no need for the harsh attitude.
Old 10-01-08, 05:16 PM   #60
bacon12

Quote:
I demand swift reply
: