Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-03, 11:31 AM   #13
tvieson

Thumbs up Easy+Application Based+First Time Linux User=SuSE 8.2

I have looked at Debian and I must say that if your going Linux for the first time go with SuSE 8.2. It is easy to install and understand and is more application oriented. Meaning that you don't have to spend 5 days setting up the OS just so you get a GUI interface.

Plus, of the Linux mods that are easy to install (Red Hat, Mandrick, SuSE), SuSE seems to have the least amount of problems. Easiest way to prove my point is to check out this and the NVIDIA Graphics page. Most of the threads discussing problems are for Red Hat (35%), Mandrick (45%), and SuSE (10%). These percentages are not completely accurate, but you'll see my point if you look at the forum.

Once you get a general idea of what Linux is and how it works, then move to something more reliable like Debian or Slackware.
SuSE 9.1 w/ 2.6.5-7.95-default
tvieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 11:05 PM   #14
SnapIT

First of all, you should run the latest stable, which is 2.4.21 today, that is the version of linux, you are, i assume wondering which distribution that would suit you best?

First of all, Gentoo is a really slow distro, in ALL tests comparing it to the old i486 Slackware, slackware has been faster...

Not that it matters much though, as neither Slackware or Gentoo is a great distribution for a beginner... (maybe i am assuming too much though, how long have you been running linux?)

I would recommend Red Hat out of the box, buy it, you will recieve support from Red Hat when you need it...

My favourite distro is Slackware, but as soon as you have it downloaded, get swaret @ swaret.sourceforge.net (forums @ swaret.xbone.be )

That way you will be able to get both dependancies for installs and updates real easily...

Debian used to have an edge, not anymore...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-03, 11:09 PM   #15
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by elektronisch
i say slackware because youll have lots of trouble with it and you will have to compile everything yourself ;D f*** emerge and apt-get be LEET! ;c

..k run gaytoo or lesbian
I assume you don't know what linux is? or at the very least what Slackware is?

It is a binary distro, like debian, Red Hat, Mandrake and others... No need to compile ANYTHING for a web server, all included in the binary distro...
Old 08-22-03, 11:10 PM   #16
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by elektronisch
i say slackware because youll have lots of trouble with it and you will have to compile everything yourself ;D f*** emerge and apt-get be LEET! ;c

..k run gaytoo or lesbian
And it is 1337 not LEET you dork... ;-)