Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-02, 06:23 PM   #13
sebazve

Hint: you can generate your own corp key
sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-02, 07:04 PM   #14
The Baron

Read the MS thing on WPA, it mentions 2 that generate certain product IDs.
Old 08-31-02, 07:17 PM   #15
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Funny that, for me it was the other way around.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
98SE is more stable out of the box, but now that WinME has been out a year, it's stable, but you need to heavily patch it...
Old 08-31-02, 07:41 PM   #16
netviper13
Treehugger

From what I've read, XP SP1 is set to change the algorithm for the key assignment with Corp. Edition. Meaning even the randomly generated keys won't work because they will-have been generated with the wrong algorithm.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 12:24 PM   #17
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
From what I've read, XP SP1 is set to change the algorithm for the key assignment with Corp. Edition. Meaning even the randomly generated keys won't work because they will-have been generated with the wrong algorithm.
M$ will not change the algorithm because it will **** current corp users.

I have a generated key it installed just fine
sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 06:18 PM   #18
mr_oh_so_ice

I prefere WinME over 98 SE for the sole reason ME seems to like my PC better, using 98 SE I get crashes under some old games like NFS High Stakes, so I just use ME, its a heck of a lot stabler than when it first came out thats for sure. If you go ME, install DX8.1 and IE6 full before installing your drivers and you should have a fast stable system.
mr_oh_so_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 11:30 AM   #19
Blakhart

ME is not too bad, I consider it the best of the 9x lot. You just have to turn off the stuff like sys restore and pc health. It may be faster than 9x as it tries to do away with dos and 16 bit code, and is basicaly 2k sans the hal and the ntfs support. Well, kinda...

I feel that you have set up your xp installs without the use of a ref rate fix, such as nvreftool. Otherwise, you run at say like 24 fps as xp/2k likes to take its time drawing a scene... xp and 2k have no minimum set ref rate in games, they default to 60, and they will drop as any detail moves into view.
You are severely limited by that vid card. Settings such as 16bit color, no fsaa or af, and setting the enhanced cpu instructions (in opengl properties) to disabled, may give you a boost.

When you get sick of the crashes and whatnot that 9x/ME will give you, try xp again.
Blakhart is offline   Reply With Quote