Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-08, 05:19 PM   #13
DansFace

Default Re: Thoughts on the new Duel Spec option coming to WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyre View Post
I've not played the game since March, but I've been reading stuff about the changes and all. I'm just wondering what will happen to pure classes if the dual spec happens with dps specced hybrid classes doing the same damage as pure classes?

If you can beat a boss with just a bit more dps and healing is fine, why not just have a hybrid jump out of the instance, quit the raid, and switch specs? No one will need a pure class for raids anymore.
errr I keep reading this and can't seem to get it. Pickled my brain last night..

Can you explain a bit more?

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 08:23 PM   #14
Rakeesh

I played on the PTR a bit, so far I really don't like the next patch. PVP battles are just too short, it seems to mostly be about who can get the first stuns/locks off wins. Wasn't blizzard aware of this issue before and that's why they created resilience? Seems resilience isn't enough anymore. I spec'ed boomkin while wearing my S4 resto gear and two shotted a full S2 warrior with two starfires. This shouldn't be possible IMO.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 11:41 PM   #15
Phyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post
errr I keep reading this and can't seem to get it. Pickled my brain last night..

Can you explain a bit more?
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=3&sid=2000#43

In the past, Blizzard had the stance that pure classes (rogues & mages) should do more dps because that's all they do. Now, they are saying that an equally geared & skilled shaman specced for dps and an equally geared & skilled rogue should put out the same damage. With that change and if dual specs are allowed in the future, what is the need for the pure classes?
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 12:01 AM   #16
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyre View Post
In the past, Blizzard had the stance that pure classes (rogues & mages) should do more dps because that's all they do. Now, they are saying that an equally geared & skilled shaman specced for dps and an equally geared & skilled rogue should put out the same damage. With that change and if dual specs are allowed in the future, what is the need for the pure classes?
No that's not what they are saying. They are saying that the hybrid classes and pure classes will have their dps gap narrowed, but the pure classes will still ultimately win in dps.

This is to prevent say, a guild having 2 moonkins, 2 mages, and 2 warlocks from always only taking one of the moonkins "just for the crit buff" and always leaving the other one out because his DPS isn't even close to that of the mages or the locks.

Since that dps gap is narrowed, there will be more reason to bring along the other boomkin because they won't be losing a lot of DPS by doing so.

This reduces the old problem of raiding guilds that put heavy class restrictions in place: e.g. "we need a few good rogues but we don't want anymore enhancement shamans because we already have one" and getting pissed off because they can't find the class that they want to stack is going to be a thing of the past. Stacking pure classes will still ultimately be best, but unlike in the past, having all hybrids will do. Now you can raid with the people you want to raid with rather than picking somebody else just because they happened to roll a class or only want to play a class that you can't use anymore of.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 10-09-08, 06:46 AM   #17
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Bliz just needs to dump classes and create 1 jack of all class. It's what it evolved in to anyways. YAWN!
Old 11-24-08, 03:35 AM   #18
fireballin

Unhappy Re: Thoughts on the new Duel Spec option coming to WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
No that's not what they are saying. They are saying that the hybrid classes and pure classes will have their dps gap narrowed, but the pure classes will still ultimately win in dps.

They may not be saying that, but the fact of the matter is, right now, in live, if an equally geared mage,boomkin, and warlock roll into naxx, all using same buffs, the boomkin will provide the highest dps, at a level of gear that most casual players will reach.
At higher gear levels, such as naxx 25 man, mages and locks begin to pull ahead, with 5200dps/5100dps respectively, as compared to the boomkin, rounding out about 4500....but that is due to the scaling of haste,crit,and spell power to the pure dps classes that the mage and warlock are.

If blizz wants to keep everyone happy by making hybrid classes just as good as the classes they are meant to fill the role of, then what is a mage for?
(i was in naxx last night, as a Frostfiremage, rolling nearly 3k dps, and was still #2 on charts, behind a boomkin at nearly 4k><)

/sigh....
Suppose its back to being just a vending machine to show up outside raids for a table....
fireballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 05:33 AM   #19
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballin View Post
They may not be saying that, but the fact of the matter is, right now, in live, if an equally geared mage,boomkin, and warlock roll into naxx, all using same buffs, the boomkin will provide the highest dps, at a level of gear that most casual players will reach.
I've already cleared most of naxx 10, and I haven't found this to be true. From what I've seen, the hunters, mages, rogues, and warlocks do the most DPS, in that order (hunters being the best.) I've been doing this in a pug group where we've regularly swapped people out, so I've seen what many classes are capable of, with a wide variety of people playing these classes.

The only way a boomkin should be doing more DPS than you is on AOE intensive fights. Right now boomkin is king of AOE from what I have seen.

Old 11-24-08, 02:30 PM   #20
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
I've already cleared most of naxx 10, and I haven't found this to be true. From what I've seen, the hunters, mages, rogues, and warlocks do the most DPS, in that order (hunters being the best.) I've been doing this in a pug group where we've regularly swapped people out, so I've seen what many classes are capable of, with a wide variety of people playing these classes.

The only way a boomkin should be doing more DPS than you is on AOE intensive fights. Right now boomkin is king of AOE from what I have seen.
Warlocks are on the bottom of the heap from what I've seen raiding since 3.0. Makes me a sad panda considering I've put 4 years into mine and now every spec sucks and isn't fun.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-08, 02:34 PM   #21
Zelda_fan

This is an awesome idea and should have been done a long time ago.

There is typically a spec that is best for PvP and a spec that is best for PvE. I always choose the best PvP spec, now I won't have to respec or have my DPS suck on raids.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 05:13 PM   #22
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Warlocks are on the bottom of the heap from what I've seen raiding since 3.0. Makes me a sad panda considering I've put 4 years into mine and now every spec sucks and isn't fun.
Don't worry I'm sure they will make some lock changes soon. The thing that bugs me are the lackluster 51 point talents. I'm currently playing a 51 demo spec witht he rest in affliction and metamorphosis just doesn't seem up to snuff at all.

i7 930@3.8ghz on Noctua NH-U12P
Evga x58 LE
MSI GTX 480 formerly known as HIS HD5870
128 gig Crucial m4/80 gig Intel X25-M ssd/500 gb WD
750 watt Corsair TX
Coolermaster HAF-X

if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna to see some serious sh!t.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 01:15 AM   #23
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIqUID View Post
Don't worry I'm sure they will make some lock changes soon. The thing that bugs me are the lackluster 51 point talents. I'm currently playing a 51 demo spec witht he rest in affliction and metamorphosis just doesn't seem up to snuff at all.
Yeah... moonkin; 15000 armor all the time, meta; 13000 armor for 30 seconds once every 3 minutes?

Why does moonkin get plate all the time and a dps increasing spec, but on a lock with a dps lowering spec, its only 18% up time? How is the lock overpowered but the moonkin isn't?

I've been leveling a DK until they do something about locks, its just not enjoyable to play one at the moment.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 09:48 AM   #24
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Yeah... moonkin; 15000 armor all the time, meta; 13000 armor for 30 seconds once every 3 minutes?

Why does moonkin get plate all the time and a dps increasing spec, but on a lock with a dps lowering spec, its only 18% up time? How is the lock overpowered but the moonkin isn't?

I've been leveling a DK until they do something about locks, its just not enjoyable to play one at the moment.
locks HAVE been OP for a good part of the game's history is different aspects. They might be a bit behind now, from what I have heard they catch back up when the gear starts to get there. They started behind in BC, then started killing the charts... where Moonkins won't scale as well doing down the stretch.

Also realize you have a soul shatter to lower your agro... a Moonkin has to sit there and take it, hence the armor.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote