Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-08, 03:58 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

WiFi is no longer secure enough to protect wireless data.



Global Secure Systems has said that a Russian's firm's use of the latest NVidia graphics cards to accelerate WiFi ‘password recovery' times by up to an astonishing 10,000 per cent proves that WiFi's WPA and WPA2 encryption systems are no longer enough to protect wireless data.



David Hobson, managing director of GSS, claimed that companies can no longer view standards-based WiFi transmission as sufficiently secure against eavesdropping to be used with impunity. He also said that the use of VPNs is arguably now mandatory for companies wanting to comply with the Data Protection Act.



He said: “This breakthrough in brute force decryption of WiFi signals by Elcomsoft confirms our observations that firms can no longer rely on standards-based security to protect their data. As a result, we now advise clients using WiFi in their offices to move on up to a VPN encryption system as well.



“Brute force decryption of the WPA and WPA2 systems using parallel processing has been on the theoretical possibilities horizon for some time - and presumably employed by relevant government agencies in extreme situations - but the use of the latest NVidia cards to speedup decryption on a standard PC is extremely worrying.



“The $64,000 question, of course, is what happens when hackers secure a pecuniary advantage by gaining access to company data flowing across a WPA or WPA2-encrypted wireless connection. Will the Information Commissioner take action against the company concerned for an effective breach of the Data Protection Act.”


http://www.scmagazineuk.com/WiFi-is-...rticle/119294/
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 04:27 PM   #2
Amaury
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 465
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

holy shnikees!!!!! Nvidia's GPUs will eventually destroy the world. They must be stopped.
Amaury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 04:39 PM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

So how do I protect myself in my home network?
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 04:50 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

unplug your pc, stick into a closet
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 05:02 PM   #5
jcrox
Mahna Mahna
 
jcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 6,134
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

Just wait, as they figure out more and more ways to harness the processing power of GPGPUs it's going to become easier and easier for people to break into secured systems. Banks, Military Systems, Main Frames... if it "can't" be broken into or hasn't been broken into yet... someone will try.
__________________

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 05:08 PM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

quad-sli powered firewall?
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 05:26 PM   #7
jcrox
Mahna Mahna
 
jcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 6,134
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
quad-sli powered firewall?
We're gonna need it
__________________

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 05:30 PM   #8
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
WiFi is no longer secure enough to protect wireless data.



Global Secure Systems has said that a Russian's firm's use of the latest NVidia graphics cards to accelerate WiFi ‘password recovery' times by up to an astonishing 10,000 per cent proves that WiFi's WPA and WPA2 encryption systems are no longer enough to protect wireless data.



David Hobson, managing director of GSS, claimed that companies can no longer view standards-based WiFi transmission as sufficiently secure against eavesdropping to be used with impunity. He also said that the use of VPNs is arguably now mandatory for companies wanting to comply with the Data Protection Act.



He said: “This breakthrough in brute force decryption of WiFi signals by Elcomsoft confirms our observations that firms can no longer rely on standards-based security to protect their data. As a result, we now advise clients using WiFi in their offices to move on up to a VPN encryption system as well.



“Brute force decryption of the WPA and WPA2 systems using parallel processing has been on the theoretical possibilities horizon for some time - and presumably employed by relevant government agencies in extreme situations - but the use of the latest NVidia cards to speedup decryption on a standard PC is extremely worrying.



“The $64,000 question, of course, is what happens when hackers secure a pecuniary advantage by gaining access to company data flowing across a WPA or WPA2-encrypted wireless connection. Will the Information Commissioner take action against the company concerned for an effective breach of the Data Protection Act.”


http://www.scmagazineuk.com/WiFi-is-...rticle/119294/
LOL

where's that guy telling us that the average user wont appreciate CUDA nekro? this will probably shut his mouth.

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-08, 01:50 AM   #9
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
LOL

where's that guy telling us that the average user wont appreciate CUDA nekro? this will probably shut his mouth.

Because everyone's networks now being unsecure is a good thing, AMIRITE?!?!

Nice try rocket scientist!
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 10:59 AM   #10
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 806
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

Wow. That is really cool ! I mean not that security is broken now, but the fact
the 280 broke it! WOW what a cool piece of hardware. Truly revolutionary.
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 05:23 PM   #11
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingawake View Post
Wow. That is really cool ! I mean not that security is broken now, but the fact
the 280 broke it! WOW what a cool piece of hardware. Truly revolutionary.
No, not really. ATI was doing it a year before NV figured it out actually. I dont see why anyone is actually impressed, they took a powerful processor and used it to hack a key code the brute force way, GG, they did that 20 years ago too. Because its done on a GPU its somehow cool and interesting? No.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 06:10 PM   #12
Greasy
1337 Noob
 
Greasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 372
Default Re: CUDA hacks WPA2 wifi

ATI started first, but they are way behind what CUDA has to offer.

Still impressive that they got a 10K prct gain.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: CUDA and Dynamic Parallelsim Ease Access to GPU Performance News Archived News Items 0 06-28-12 05:40 PM
New MacBook Pros Make For Great CUDA Dev Platforms News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 12:40 AM
GPU-sphere Swells With 26 New CUDA Centers News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 01:50 PM
Allinea DDT CUDA Education Pack for Student Programmers News Archived News Items 0 05-25-12 08:00 AM
First Achievement Award Bestowed By CUDA Centers of Excellence News Archived News Items 0 05-17-12 07:40 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.