Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-08, 07:01 PM   #1
CptDondo

Default Programmatically tell how many monitors are attached

I need to write a shell script that figures out how many monitors are attached to multiple nvidia cards.

For example, on one test machine I have 2 dual-DVI nVidia Quadra cards, so I can have 0 to 4 monitors attached. On another test machine, I have 1 dual DVI quadra card and 2 single DVI quadra cards; again, I can have 0 to 4 monitors attached.

I need to know how many monitors are attached from inside a shell script, before X starts, so I can start the correct number of X sessions.
CptDondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 09:18 AM   #2
Tub

Default Re: Programmatically tell how many monitors are attached

I don't think there's an easy way to do that. To query the amount of attached monitors, you need to initialize the gfx drivers, and to initialize those, you'll need to start X. If you take a look into your Xorg.0.log, you'll notice that the attached devices are queried when X starts, not earlier.

you can query a lot of information via
Quote:
nvidia-settings -q all
once at least one X server is started, but I'm not going to unplug my monitor to see if any of that is useful.

The best way might be to just start all 4 X servers and to make sure that those without monitors fail silently.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote