Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-07, 02:52 PM   #1
ChrisNiemy

Default since 169.07: weird graphics in GL games, when nvidia-settings was run before

(UPDATE: SOLVED WITH WORKAROUND.
a easy working workaround is found here in this thread, it only happens when setting to "High Performance" with the new drivers. I still leave this topic unsolved, it maybe helpful for bug fixing on new driver releases).

Dear driver developers and supporters,

since the beta of the current 169.07 nvidia display driver (x86) for linux my screen shows very weird graphics when starting OpenGL games (tested with Planetpenguin Racer, Extreme Tuxracer and Armagetron). The point is, this only happens when I start nvidia-settings before this. When no running nvidia-settings before and removing "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" from my session setup, all games display fine again. Running "nvidia-settings" manually then, (in my experience it wasn't related about specific options or not), after that again this weird graphics problem.

It seems also not related to compiz running or not. Happens exactly the same way, either if using compiz or not.

Interesting though, that compiz is not affected by this graphics problems. Running nvidia-settings first and not autostarting compiz and run in manually afterwards, works fine, though it's based on OpenGL.

For me, as a non-expert I can say this only happens with OpenGL games, not with the windowmanager. Strange...

As I mentioned I got this error since the beta of 169.07. I am now running ubuntu gutsy (7.10) under a GEFORCE FX5200

Best regards,
Chris

PS: Also interesting that when setting __GL_SYNC_TO_VLBLANK=1 in /etc/environment, then starting compiz will crash the Xserver. This behaviour also since the beta of the current driver. Perhaps this additional information can help you. Actually I'm not setting GL-variables in environment.

PPS: Before never had any problems. Thanks by the way, the driver seems to get always faster ;-)

EDIT: Forgot to add a screenshot. Here it is...
Screenshot of Extreme Tuxracer start menu 1024x768, png
ChrisNiemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 04:01 PM   #2
ChrisNiemy

Default Re: since 169.07: weird graphics in GL games, when nvidia-settings was run before

(sorry, double post)
Old 12-22-07, 04:06 PM   #3
ChrisNiemy

Default Re: since 169.07: weird graphics in GL games, when nvidia-settings was run before

Added 2 more meaningful screenshots of in-game graphics.

As you can see polygone spheres (like tux) are rendered correctly, even their colors. But textures around are psychedelic and the fishes are rendered look like boxes:
Tuxracer in-game graphics

Here another from Armagetron, again the "car" seems to be rendered correcty, and the lines on the ground, but displayed fonts and everything else gets weird:
Armagetron in-game

Although graphics are weird, games seem to run stable.

Strange that this only happens when nvidia-settings was run before. Though I need the settings from it, this is quite a showstopper bug (if it's bug).

If you need more information please let me know.

But for now a happy christmas holiday break :-)
Regards,
Chris
Old 12-22-07, 07:22 PM   #4
f1f0
Linux User

Can you check that 'X Screen #' --> 'OpenGL Settings' --> 'Image Settings' was set to Performance and better (quality-wise)?. That happened to me since 169.04: I set it previously to 'Highest Performance'.
f1f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 06:21 AM   #5
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1f0
Can you check that 'X Screen #' --> 'OpenGL Settings' --> 'Image Settings' was set to Performance and better (quality-wise)?. That happened to me since 169.04: I set it previously to 'Highest Performance'.
I can confirm that "High Perfomance" causes graphic glitches ... I also reverted this in 169.04 to "Perfomance".
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 10:49 AM   #6
ChrisNiemy

@f1f0 & Dragoran:
Hey, thanks a lot! This worked!
Right, before I always set it to "High Perfomance" now with "Performance" it works fine again.

Though strange, that this happens only with the new drivers. If developers need more information: I installed the driver manually from the package from your website. The described behaviour also happens on my notebook (with a Geforce 6100 Go) and the 64bit(amd64)-driver.

I also figured out, by testing some GL screensavers, that the wrong rendering, I guess, must be depending on some specific GL features/extensions, like described in the NVIDIA readme (Appendix D. GLX Support). Because some items are still rendered correctly, mostly textures are not. Maybe this can help you.

Though for me it's fine setting nvidia-settings to "Performance". But maybe other users won't discover this workaround.

Thanks for the help and nice holidays
Regards,
Chris

PS: Maybe a mod can edit this topic, so that it refers to the problem with the "high performance"-settings. Thanks.
Old 12-23-07, 11:55 AM   #7
kriko
openSuSE11

I can confirm this too, this also affects opengl screensaver, quake4, ut2k4 (which is corrupted anyway with latest drivers).
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 05:38 PM   #8
Ralph

Same problem here (GeForce 7600GS PCI Express 16x + driver 169.07)!

If "High Performance" is enabled, all OpenGL apps show graphics corruption!

That is a real driver bug!
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-07, 02:59 PM   #9
hvengel

I see the same corruption when running FlightGear on my dual head system on the second head. I have not found any settings that stop this from happening. This same setup works fine with 100,14,x drivers.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 12:21 PM   #10
Someguynamedpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemy View Post
@f1f0 & Dragoran:
Hey, thanks a lot! This worked!
Right, before I always set it to "High Perfomance" now with "Performance" it works fine again.

Though strange, that this happens only with the new drivers. If developers need more information: I installed the driver manually from the package from your website. The described behaviour also happens on my notebook (with a Geforce 6100 Go) and the 64bit(amd64)-driver.

I also figured out, by testing some GL screensavers, that the wrong rendering, I guess, must be depending on some specific GL features/extensions, like described in the NVIDIA readme (Appendix D. GLX Support). Because some items are still rendered correctly, mostly textures are not. Maybe this can help you.

Though for me it's fine setting nvidia-settings to "Performance". But maybe other users won't discover this workaround.

Thanks for the help and nice holidays
Regards,
Chris

PS: Maybe a mod can edit this topic, so that it refers to the problem with the "high performance"-settings. Thanks.
Step by step please, we have the same vid card, please reply!!!!!!

Last edited by Someguynamedpie; 10-13-08 at 12:36 PM. Reason: sounded like i was a noob.
Someguynamedpie is offline   Reply With Quote