Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-08, 01:44 PM   #1
MrSavoy

Default Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but whatever.
I have been reading this forum for a long time now and for the last year I constantly see more new threads about some political bs or some other obscure non hardware related talk. I frequent many other hardware forums as well, and just as I do here, I tend to hit new posts and what comes up here is very annoying. More than half of new posts here are NON hardware/software/gaming related. Maybe a lot of members here are happy with that but I am not, hence tne reason for this thread.

I thought this was an nvidia fansite, not a place where people link every retarded political piece of fluff. If I wanted to read about that crap I wouldn't come here.

I know I can't be alone in how I feel about this. I wanted to make mention of this because I find myself coming here less as a result of the lack of interesting info on these forums. Sure if I wanna read one of the 100000 Palin posts I might come more often, but I don't come here for that. I like this site but hardocp,anandtech xtremesystems etc are all getting a lot more of my time these days.

/rant.
3x EVGA, GeForce GTX 470's Superclocked (TRI-SLI) / 2x WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar Black (WD6401AALS) (Raid 0) / LITE-ON CD-R/CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive / SAMSUNG DVD R/RW / Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Westy 37" 1080P
MrSavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 01:51 PM   #2
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Why does this forum talk more about politics than hardware?

This is an nVidia fansite, and we happen to have a a forum for politics as well. Most websites have the same type of format. A lot of people are comfortable in talking about pretty much anything here...so I can't say that is a bad thing.

And as for the other sites...they have the same issue. Maybe not to the same degree, but I know that those other site have open forums where you are allowed to "express yourself".
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 02:00 PM   #3
MrSavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
This is an nVidia fansite, and we happen to have a a forum for politics as well. Most websites have the same type of format. A lot of people are comfortable in talking about pretty much anything here...so I can't say that is a bad thing.

And as for the other sites...they have the same issue. Maybe not to the same degree, but I know that those other site have open forums where you are allowed to "express yourself".
I appreciate what your saying Disciple but, I do notice A LOT more off topic non hardware related talk here percentage wise than any other hardware related forums. I'm not saying people shouldn't express themselves but when it seems to overtake the main focus of this site I get a little turned off.
3x EVGA, GeForce GTX 470's Superclocked (TRI-SLI) / 2x WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar Black (WD6401AALS) (Raid 0) / LITE-ON CD-R/CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive / SAMSUNG DVD R/RW / Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Westy 37" 1080P
Old 10-13-08, 02:21 PM   #4
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSavoy View Post
I appreciate what your saying Disciple but, I do notice A LOT more off topic non hardware related talk here percentage wise than any other hardware related forums. I'm not saying people shouldn't express themselves but when it seems to overtake the main focus of this site I get a little turned off.
How does it take away the main focus? When I first started visiting this site, I was having graphical issues, and I got the help that I needed, and I've been around ever since. I've never noticed any questions going unanswered (tech or non-tech), so I really started liking this place.

This is an nVidia fansite, but it is more family-friendly than a lot of other sites that I've been to.
Old 10-13-08, 02:24 PM   #5
methimpikehoses

No one is holding you here.
Old 10-13-08, 03:29 PM   #6
Bman212121

It's quite simple why there is a lot of political talk right now. We are just before a major election so there are plenty of things to debate about. In the hardware world it is kind of quiet right now, so there aren't as many topics at hand. Once the election is over the P & R forum will slow down and when the next round of cards come out this place will be buzzing with information.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 03:31 PM   #7
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
It's quite simple why there is a lot of political talk right now. We are just before a major election so there are plenty of things to debate about. In the hardware world it is kind of quiet right now, so there aren't as many topics at hand. Once the election is over the P & R forum will slow down and when the next round of cards come out this place will be buzzing with information.
That pretty much sums up the my feelings, too.
Old 10-13-08, 04:28 PM   #8
MrSavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
No one is holding you here.
^
Always one as shole in tne bunch. Thanks for the rude comment.

To everyone else I appreciate your comments but I still see more off topic discussion here than anywhere else. Hardware being released or not doesn't mean I see more off topic on other forums. It's unique to here but that's just how it is.

Old 10-13-08, 05:35 PM   #9
wwec

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew should probably exclude the political/religion sections imho.
wwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 09:24 PM   #10
methimpikehoses

Quote:
^

To everyone else I appreciate your comments but I still see more off topic discussion here than anywhere else. Hardware being released or not doesn't mean I see more off topic on other forums. It's unique to here but that's just how it is.
Sorry, I didn't mean it to be as rude as it sounded. I just don't understand why you would complain about an internet forum when there are a million other ones to read.
Old 10-13-08, 10:41 PM   #11
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
^

nvnews is unique, it's a different sort of tech community. It started that way and you know how a community works, those who like it fit in and stay, others move on. So Nvnews grew as a community that are open and sharing and not afraid to have a laugh and perhaps take thing that little bit to far. I've tried being a member at other forums that are strictly hardware or strictly gaming. it's just not the same. It's all so serious. Least here I can kick back in the open forum and see what everyone else is up to in their lives.

Also a lot of people dismiss the linux forums. A lot of nvidia related discussion in there. Probably the premier source of Linux/Nvidia information on the net.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 11:58 PM   #12
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
nvnews is unique, it's a different sort of tech community. It started that way and you know how a community works, those who like it fit in and stay, others move on. So Nvnews grew as a community that are open and sharing and not afraid to have a laugh and perhaps take thing that little bit to far. I've tried being a member at other forums that are strictly hardware or strictly gaming. it's just not the same. It's all so serious. Least here I can kick back in the open forum and see what everyone else is up to in their lives.

Also a lot of people dismiss the linux forums. A lot of nvidia related discussion in there. Probably the premier source of Linux/Nvidia information on the net.
I agree.

For what its worth though MrSavoy, it sounds like you're just viewing the forums by clicking the "new posts" button, which is why you're getting all politics.

If you view the individual forums and stay out of the PF you will see no politics. We strictly regulate all political discussion to the political forum. If you want to talk about hardware or gaming, go to the hardware or gaming forums. The Open and Political forums are separated for this very reason.

We're currently less than a month away from the presidential elections and they are extremely controversial... even more than usual. And there haven't been many significant hardware releases recently. Plus, with the economy in the crapper, companies and consumers have less cash to blow on technology.

All of that should be taken into account, as well as what crainger said about this being a very diverse community.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote