Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-08, 02:44 AM   #37
aesaeion

Default Re: Intel won't let Nvidia make Nehalem chipsets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
And yet still has piss poor driver support and stability.

Right now I'm seriously rolling the dice. I'm running Vista with an nForce mobo and Creative X-Fi. I get a daily BSOD.
I said nForce professional not regular nForce. They use completely different chipsets. However your problem is more likely with the creative drivers. I have had no problems with linux on my Tyan S-2915 board http://tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=163. However under windows vista I had problems with the audigy 2 ZS I had where I would get strange lockups but only when playing audio and I would get an audio loop on the speakers when the system locked up. I recently switched to a Xonar D2X and have not had a single problem under vista since. Overall creative has had very crappy vista drivers and they blame everyone except themselves for the problems.

Under linux I do database development on it. I have dual 2218 opterons and 8G of ram and easily push this thing to get tests done. My experience with consumer level boards has been pretty bad overall because to cut costs a lot of quality gets lost in them. With workstation/server level boards I have not run into these problems.
aesaeion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 03:09 AM   #38
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
Than work with AMD and steel the 86 stuff.

These 2 are going to kill each other and they really need each other too like the AMD ATI sleeping arrangments.

Their greedy assholes holding the whole licencing crap in each others face, typical american business.
AMD licenses x86 from Intel as well, in fact everyone does, as I recall, because Intel created x86.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 03:33 AM   #39
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
AMD licenses x86 from Intel as well, in fact everyone does, as I recall, because Intel created x86.
That is correct.
Old 06-06-08, 10:03 AM   #40
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
That sounds like your problem is the X-Fi.

I am runing EVGA 790i and Quad SLI, Vista 64 and have not BSOD yet.
It's not, as I was using onboard audio until the other day. I doubt the X-Fi could attack my PC from inside it's own cardboard box

I actually have to gimp my drivers, as installing MediaShield causes my PC to not load windows after a reboot. It goes into a rebot/bsod cycle until you reformat.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 10:49 AM   #41
xbob
WWGFD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
Than work with AMD and steel the 86 stuff.

These 2 are going to kill each other and they really need each other too like the AMD ATI sleeping arrangments.

Nah, Intel will steam roll on, nVidia has the most to lose here. I'm a big nVidia fan but here's to hoping for a serious comeback from ATi so Intel doesn't forget they have to compete on many fronts.
xbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 10:49 AM   #42
Buckeye

Quote:
It's not, as I was using onboard audio until the other day. I doubt the X-Fi could attack my PC from inside it's own cardboard box

I actually have to gimp my drivers, as installing MediaShield causes my PC to not load windows after a reboot. It goes into a rebot/bsod cycle until you reformat.
WoW sounds like something strange is going on there if you have to go through all that.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have been using Vista from release to now on several different types of machine and about the only times I have had problems was back in the early Nvidia driver days and creative products which I do not use anymore.

Could be something with your motherboard, ram, I don't know. Strange things can happen with some hardware combos, drivers etc.

I hope you can get it sorted out tho., good luck !
Old 06-06-08, 12:22 PM   #43
InqWoN1776
Libertiné

Send a message via AIM to InqWoN1776 Send a message via MSN to InqWoN1776

I have used three different nVidia chipsets in the past. As far as I could tell, they all ran perfectly stable. They were nforce 2 and two nforce 3's. I don't understand how nVidia chipsets were basically the only good chipsets to purchase during the A64 dominant era or the chipsets that everyone raved about; now, everyone says the opposite. It seems like the problem with nV's Intel chipset business is that Intel doesn't disclose all necessary information in a timely fashion for nVidia to truly compete. So, they (nVidia) are left drawing conclusions similar to the whole DX9 ordeal with MS. Wintel really never has liked nVidia for whatever reason and I'm not a big of any of their competitive practices. Although, I think nVidia's actions are more of a survival instinct reaction.
Old 10-14-08, 03:32 AM   #44
cerillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InqWoN1776 View Post
I have used three different nVidia chipsets in the past. As far as I could tell, they all ran perfectly stable. They were nforce 2 and two nforce 3's. I don't understand how nVidia chipsets were basically the only good chipsets to purchase during the A64 dominant era or the chipsets that everyone raved about; now, everyone says the opposite. It seems like the problem with nV's Intel chipset business is that Intel doesn't disclose all necessary information in a timely fashion for nVidia to truly compete. So, they (nVidia) are left drawing conclusions similar to the whole DX9 ordeal with MS. Wintel really never has liked nVidia for whatever reason and I'm not a big of any of their competitive practices. Although, I think nVidia's actions are more of a survival instinct reaction.

I also haven't had stability with any of my nForce MoBo's unrelated to tweaking my overclocks.
You touch on an important insight though. nVidia has basically been dealing with an Intel black box in designing their chipsets and for that they do the best they can but its a process of attrition. If you look at the Nehalem's innovations, despite the focus on modularity, its working towards an SoC type of singularity. Now that Intel has has integrated a memory controller who's to say they won't tap into their roots and in a generation or two start making Intel exclusive memory modules and leave the other memory manufacturers in the same black box scenario as nVidia's is stuck with now (and soon to be shut out near completely with this current chipset situation and Intel breaking into the graphics market).

Intel makes a great product but they suppress any fair, healthy, or free competition with dirty business and it paints a future where you have to buy your entire PC from Intel and it only runs windows, or God forbid a Mac.... that also runs off Intel.
cerillian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-08, 08:24 AM   #45
hell_of_doom227

Quote:

The problem is between keyboard and chair in your case.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 02:24 PM   #46
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
The problem is between keyboard and chair in your case.
Yeah, he's clicking the mouse on the installation file the wrong way you turd...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 02:35 PM   #47
hell_of_doom227

Never had issue with any of nforce4, nforce500, nforce600, and nforce700 chipsets. In my book nforce + SLI is the best out there.

So, everybody will be forced to buy x58 so i guess Intel decided to make chipset for their CPU only and nobody else. That's fine as long as they don't ****ing ask for SLI and Crossfire for almost free.

AMD and Nvidia should step on Intel and say you know **** you, you wont see SLI and Crossfire on your boards.

I'm not buying x58 and Nehalem, cause i don't want to pay ****ing $300 for excluse Intel right on it. My next CPU purchase is going to be AMD along with Nvidia card.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 08:40 PM   #48
hemmy

Honestly, dunno how people can claim NVIDIA's chipsets were better than Intels, even on a NVIDIA fansite.
hemmy is offline   Reply With Quote