Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-03, 07:10 AM   #13
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami
Default thanx you

whell , i guess

**** karma.

i am getting sick of this using linux in the 386 era. see if you understand this : THERE WAS NO LINUX IN THE 386 ERA. you may had a 386 then , but it wasnt the 386 era.

486 were released in 1989 http://www.munirbrothers.com/hu/cpuhistory0002.htm

linux were only released in september 1991.

if you are soo elitist about how joins linux now, i guess the kernel devs must think : to all the **tards then use linux since the 386 era ( before it was made ) and never contributed to the kernel.

everyone can join linux by any reasons they want. what matters is if they help the community or not.
Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 11:43 AM   #14
guills

And helping the community means contributing to the kernel?

The kernel source isn't even 1% of all open source code used in Linux..

Anyways.. This isn't the place for a flame war so why don't we stop :P
guills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 02:24 PM   #15
mariuz
Albino penguin

Talking Realy want to thank them for the drivers :)

Here are my feelings
http://www.flickerdown.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3463
Love the new drivers .yes maybe they shoud
put them in the kernel but until then gonna use the
installer .
Old 08-16-03, 03:25 PM   #16
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami
Default kernel hacker

guills no , of course not but

i guess you missed the point

for anyone to use linux in the 386 era , it had to be a kernel hacker ... there was no linux at that time , and if you were using it , you were making linux ! there for , a kernel hacker
lol

yeah , let stop , this is completly pointless
Old 08-20-03, 02:04 PM   #17
mik

yagami and rapsis, you guys are ****less idiots.

shut the **** up and be thankfull someone is actually writing drivers for you.

if you cannot understand why specs cannot be released for a video card, ssholes like you that only complain and do nothing to contribute need to be taken out and shot.

the faster the community catapults individuals such as you the better for all of us.

cyan, i agree with you, cudos to nvidia for at least hiring dedicated linux driver developers. i'm happy to see this level of support and frankly i've never had any problems with their drivers and nvidia cards on suse, redhat, gentoo and mandrake.

i would like to see more hardware manufacturers support driver development for linux.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 05:56 PM   #18
energyman76b

The nvidia linux drivers are far from beeing perfect. I, for expample, have some not too heave graphic distortions in ut2003-demo, but that is nothing against the hell I suffered with one other manufacture...

But, this drivers are 'good enough'. The latest 4x drivers never locked up X or did other sick stuff. They behave well and are fast enough.

So, my next card will be a nvidia again (a cheap FX), because I know that their driver WORK. xv, glx, tv-out, dual-head.. it works. No fiddling with drivers from three different projects, no basic 'bios tweaking'. Even ocing is possible.

It would be stupid not to buy a nvidia card. Their drivers are not perfect, but the best one can get.

Glück Auf
Volkrt
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 06:49 PM   #19
Yagami

Default just works

agree , 4496 has not crashed my system yet. but the whole 4* before those were always crashing it.

the problem is that it doesnt work in some cases.to some ppl it just works , to other it does not.

my next card will not be a nvidia... probably. ( because i dont really believe things will change ).

and no , these are not the best drivers one can get. matrox drivers are great for linux.
ati drivers , i have seen it working really great in some computers,but also read some awfull stories about them to.

i think my whole point here is misunderstood. i believe the tech ppl on nvidia are very talented. i know, that perfect drivers are impossible. that is the whole point. as a programmer , i know that perfect driver(software) will never exist, and the problems that these have doesnt not in any way bring down the skills of the nvidia staff.

i just tried to show that , not to think like cyan, that everything is perfect.

i am sorry if i ofended anyone ( anyone with more than a brain cell , mik congratulations , you must be the biggest idiot that commented me on a forum. i am sure on thing though, i contribute a lot more than you because i just dont suck up , and tell others who want software to be free to shut up. i am glad that you are using software built by ppl that you think should be shotted. is ppl like you that should never use linux, that just use it to look 1337 and have no ideia of how it all began and why it was made.you sir, are an idiot)
Old 08-20-03, 07:39 PM   #20
mik

you don't have the capacity to offend me - your being short sighted and stupid.

your point is that they drivers are not perfect? really? this whole ****in board is about driver issues and your telling me that they aren't perfect CAPTAIN OBVIOUS?

Hey, how about this, how about NVIDIA fire their linux developers and tell you to go write your own drivers like most other hardware vendors? That would be much more preferable to you?

i think we need to reward companies that at least try to support the community . i haven't met a windows video driver yet that didn't flake out on some occasions, let alone the drivers of other video cards so none of this really a surprse by any stretch of the imagination. If you think ATI linux driver support is better I DARE YOU TO SWITCH. That's right, go ahead, and watch how quickly you get hosed. ATI has NEVER been known for their driver support quality on Windows and somehow you thing thier Linux drivers are somehow magically better?

No it's not perfect, it never will be, but *******it, can't we say ANYTHING nice to anyone about anything? must all positive comments be tempered by negative ones? how about just a hand or a nod of approval for effort alone? is that so hard or are we all so jaded that FREE SUPPORT OF AN OS THAT BARELY REGISTERS ANY SALES NUMBERS FOR NVIDIA somehow is not good enough any more?

i for one applaud any company at least trying to support linux - i have 5 nvidia cards of all types sitting right here that I am able to get working on suse8.2 flawlessly thanks to the drivers (and the new installer) written by them.

*sheesh*

remember, support those that support you and ye shall be rewarded.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-03, 08:03 PM   #21
energyman76b

and most threads in this forum are started by people that are not able to read their Distris Doku and/or the nvidia-readme.

You can not blame the nvidia guys for errors, that would never happen, if the person had read the README
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 08:11 PM   #22
Yagami

Quote:
you don't have the capacity to offend me - your being short sighted and stupid.
great line , you should use it with your teenage friends at school.

Quote:
your point is that they drivers are not perfect? really? this whole ****in board is about driver issues and your telling me that they aren't perfect CAPTAIN OBVIOUS?
the point was that cyan made it look like they were perfect.

Quote:
Hey, how about this, how about NVIDIA fire their linux developers and tell you to go write your own drivers like most other hardware vendors? That would be much more preferable to you?
thankfully there is the open source drivers.sure there isnt any 3d,but i cant use 3d properly with the nvidia drivers also , so ...
also you never had a matrox.

Quote:
If you think ATI linux driver support is better I DARE YOU TO SWITCH. That's right, go ahead, and watch how quickly you get hosed.
i myself havent made the switch YET but will hopefully make it soon.i have a friend with an ati that works like a charm.
(i can use multiple Xs (in nvidia there is screen corruption) , i can use framebuffer (cant use rivafb with nvidia drivers) , i can use tv on the framebuffer (with vesa fb , i cant use it to display anything other than text, if i do ,its a freeze).

Quote:
somehow you thing thier Linux drivers are somehow magically better?
yes because they released the specs to some of their radeons. open source drivers already work great , check dri homepage to see what is already suported ( almost everything,only one extension is missing )

Quote:
but *******it
is that kisses , or cant you have a civilized conversation without resorting to insults and foul language?

Quote:
can't we say ANYTHING nice to anyone about anything
of course , i myself said , and i also said many times on #nvidia , when nvidia started supporting linux. talked with very nice ppl there.

Quote:
FREE SUPPORT OF AN OS THAT BARELY REGISTERS ANY SALES NUMBERS FOR NVIDIA
so jaded ? are you such a parasite of the open source movement ? do you just like to use it and if anytime windows is better , you send your linux copy to trash ..

Quote:
i for one applaud any company at least trying to support linux
sure. i was also happy when nvidia started supporting linux two years after i bought the card.

i have better things to do than offend you. your own comments are the ones that offend you the most.you are just another user that comes and goes in the open source world. nobody cares of your arrival , and nobody cares when you are gone.ppl like you that come from windows,just try to turn linux into windows. and ppl like me try to stop it from becoming like windows.

you just didnt understood what this is all about.

this is not really the place for a flame war , nor was my first comment with that purpose,nor will waste more time with you
Old 08-26-03, 09:29 AM   #23
MikeC
Administrator

I can see we are going to have to add extra moderators in here. These personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please come to this forum for help only.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote