Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-02-02, 05:08 PM   #37
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
Listen.

XP sucks, so lets not even consider it.

Take Win2k for WORKSTATION APPLICATIONS.

What is wrong with it?

It's stable (9 months without rebooting! That's great! and NEVER those illegal operations one gets every 10-15 minutes with win98)

It's easy to use. (Not AOL n00b easy. Just simple to configure. and I love the mmc)

It's fast. (Not bloated at all! Seriously, it's superfast!)

Installation is a breeze. (Wanna parttition/format a drive? ok, no prob. With lunix? Ah **** that! It's so god damned difficult for no apparent reason! Filesystems are nice and all, but jesus christ, ive never seen a more user-UNfriendly partitionning scheme!)

The console is good to have, i'll admit. But knowing how to use it SHOULDN'T BE REQUIRED for normal use, fer chrissakes.
whaaatt!!!! parttioning in linux dificult , OMFG, especially in the newer distributions (they even come with a XP GUI style parttion program), give me a break!. In fact another advantage of linux is that you forget about the physical partition they are all dirs, in fact you see "like" if you have only one hard drive. Even the names of the partitions are much easier to understand in Linux. The only difference is that you must add a swap parttion. Another big advg is that in difference with windows you dont have to install Linux in the first parttion if you want it too make it bootable.

Old 09-02-02, 05:26 PM   #38
The Baron

Nine months? Try 3 years, 24/7, on a PENTIUM 60 SERVING STREAMING AUDIO.

THAT is why Linux is so friggin' good. You don't NEED a P4 2.8Ghz to have good performance. You can get good performance for serving on ANY box with at least 32 megs of ram.

So, until Win2k runs on a P60, Win2k is bloated.
Old 09-02-02, 06:13 PM   #39
netviper13
Treehugger

The ONLY way you could get linux running that good on a Pentium 60mhz machine is to customize the kernel, and even then most stuff would have to be done with the command prompt.

I could install 98 on a Pentium 60mhz and just use DOS with it and do the same thing.

I was seriously thinking about moving to Linux, and I know that learning it wouldn't be too hard. The thing that really makes me wary of switching, though, is driver installation. When I see experienced users like Matthyahuw having serious issues with driver installation, I know it's over my head.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 06:36 PM   #40
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by sebazve

whaaatt!!!! parttioning in linux dificult , OMFG, especially in the newer distributions (they even come with a XP GUI style parttion program), give me a break!. In fact another advantage of linux is that you forget about the physical partition they are all dirs, in fact you see "like" if you have only one hard drive. Even the names of the partitions are much easier to understand in Linux. The only difference is that you must add a swap parttion. Another big advg is that in difference with windows you dont have to install Linux in the first parttion if you want it too make it bootable.

Last i tried was 7.2 I didnt understand ****. There were like 4 different types of partitions. A swap partition is no prob, i use one anyway for win2k pagefile and Photoshop scratch disks.

That advantage is also there with win2k, you can install on any drive/partition (i know 9x had a prob if you didnt install on c:\)
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 06:43 PM   #41
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Nine months? Try 3 years, 24/7, on a PENTIUM 60 SERVING STREAMING AUDIO.

THAT is why Linux is so friggin' good. You don't NEED a P4 2.8Ghz to have good performance. You can get good performance for serving on ANY box with at least 32 megs of ram.

So, until Win2k runs on a P60, Win2k is bloated.
Ey! that's nine months, then i tried to restore a file with a datarecovery app onto the same drive. Whoops!

I f*cked up the filesystem, and i got a bluescreen. When I rebooted, the drive had been basically wiped clean.

That's what ended my streak!

Bah, nt4 has been running nonstop on my Pentium 100 since i installed it.

I can GURANTEE that you are running a stripped down kernel on that p60 of yours. Try running a default install with all optional packages and/or support or whatnot, and i guarantee, it will be a slow-ass pos. Win2k wont run on a p60 because there is full multimedia/blah support in it. Nt4 runs just fine though
Old 09-02-02, 08:09 PM   #42
The Baron

Actually, I think it was running a stock kernel... no special options. It was a pretty normal box, but it had no sound card or anything like that.

Hell, it might not have even had a video card..... only telnetted into it.
Old 09-02-02, 08:10 PM   #43
PCarr78

exactly
Old 09-09-02, 02:39 AM   #44
bammbamm808

Send a message via ICQ to bammbamm808 Send a message via AIM to bammbamm808
Default The number one benefit of linux over Windows:

It helps you make good use of all the time you would waste sleeping, talking to your spouse, going outside the house, etc. LOL. Having said that, I use linux almost exclusively, and enjoy it tremedously. But the time thing is absolutely correct. It takes lots and lots of time. Also, I really don't like the direction MS is headed, which is what promted me to start seriously learning linux about a year ago. I have gotten far enough to use it primarily (I usualy go 3 weeks w/o booting Windows), but am still a noob.

Old 09-14-02, 05:14 PM   #45
Blakhart

If you want a very intuitive Linux distro, try Redmond/Lycoris Linux. You get to play solitaire while it installs. Well polished.
As far as Linux vs M$, well, Linux is a Human thing, whereas M$ is a Money thing. Kinda like music for the sake of music, because one enjoys it, as opposed to music for the money... That is the way I look at it, but I use xp as it games like no other. Linux for browsing is a good idea. Linux is far better to experiment with as well. M$ going to help you compile the dream kernel you have always wanted?

Someday, there may be a distro that does opengl and d3d like no other. Then look out.
Blakhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-02, 07:33 PM   #46
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
I was seriously thinking about moving to Linux, and I know that learning it wouldn't be too hard. The thing that really makes me wary of switching, though, is driver installation. When I see experienced users like Matthyahuw having serious issues with driver installation, I know it's over my head.
Well viper, I finally got the nV drivers to go with some forum member help, I'm using RH's null beta, and utiel helped me out, and I'm finally no longer a Linux n00b, here's the thread that worked for me:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=1869
Old 09-16-02, 12:30 PM   #47
BLASTER_

Ive used Linux for 3 or 4 years I couldent imagine life without it.

workstation apps? Like what? what junk your using on Windows?

Linux apps blow windows out of the water because the programs are made by people... not corprations. for instance the Galeon Web Browser, want to block popups? ads? right click em. want tabed browsing? you got it.. Themes/Skins? only about a thousand, speed? twice as fast as IE 6. (according to IE 6's EULA you cant even release any benchmark information)

cost: $0.00
source: included
number of try aol 7.0 icons it installs on your desktop: 0
number of "shoping" or "partners" bookmarks: 0

I know a kid that works at M$ he told me that its almost impossable for Microsoft to release bug free Opreating Systems anymore because they have almost a thousand programs in them now.. last I looked.. Debian GNU/Linux had over 6,000. version 3.0 released with 0 knowen bugs. (he also said IE 5.5 -released- with 1500 KNOWEN bugs!)

Last edited by BLASTER_; 09-16-02 at 12:34 PM.
BLASTER_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 08:40 PM   #48
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by BLASTER_
Ive used Linux for 3 or 4 years I couldent imagine life without it.

workstation apps? Like what? what junk your using on Windows?

Linux apps blow windows out of the water because the programs are made by people... not corprations. for instance the Galeon Web Browser, want to block popups? ads? right click em. want tabed browsing? you got it.. Themes/Skins? only about a thousand, speed? twice as fast as IE 6. (according to IE 6's EULA you cant even release any benchmark information)

cost: $0.00
source: included
number of try aol 7.0 icons it installs on your desktop: 0
number of "shoping" or "partners" bookmarks: 0

I know a kid that works at M$ he told me that its almost impossable for Microsoft to release bug free Opreating Systems anymore because they have almost a thousand programs in them now.. last I looked.. Debian GNU/Linux had over 6,000. version 3.0 released with 0 knowen bugs. (he also said IE 5.5 -released- with 1500 KNOWEN bugs!)
hahahahahaaha those M$ are unbelieveable

so true what you said. Although dont forget that linux is also for servers. I mean Unix is the best OS for servers period no matter what M$ siad